Are you upgrading to 5870 from 4870x2 or GTX295 ?

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
How many of you are upgrading to 5870 from currently owning a 4870x2 or GTX295 ?

Also, please if you will post the resolution you are gaming at and your current cpu.

I wouldn't quite call it "upgrading" from a GTX 295, maybe a 4870x2 but that's still pushing it. The 5870 does perform very close against the GTX 295, but it doesn't outperform enough make you want to go sell your gtx 295 or 4870x2 immediately just to pick it up. If you want something new that bad I guess why not? IMO coming from a last generation high end card that can still hold its own against a 5870 is worth keeping, just wait until we see what the 5870x2 has to offer and I am betting a WHOLE lot. Or wait until GT300 comes out too so the decision is more clearer. With that said though, I guess you could get xfire 5870's, but i'd still wait.

As someone with a pair of OCed 4890s I don't find the 5870 all that compelling; DX11 isn't a real factor yet (and likely won't be for a year or more) and my cards are very competitive with a 5870 at 1920x1200, that being the highest I can currently run or likely will be able to run for several years given the cost of my current display.

For those with 30" displays at 2560x1600 it is a fine option, particularly in Crossfire, but outside of a very few games the current high end stuff works fine with extremely high settings.

If I kept my machine on 24/7 and lived somewhere where electricity was particularly expensive it might be compelling.

Last edited:
Going from a 4870X2 to a 5870 is basically a sidegrade.

Going from a GTX 295 to a 5870 is a downgrade.

I will be upgrading for the three monitor gaming. Just waiting on my I7 parts to come in. I dont really care which one pushes out more frame rates, but which one give better quality experience. periphal vision on fps's is going to be killer.

I've got 2 4870's crossfired. Do I count?

I'm kind of torn. I don't have a problem with the performance of my current setup, or the power draw, or the space it takes up, or the noise... But I'm a developer, and Direct Compute pretty much has me wetting myself. I'm hoping I can hold out til the X2 comes out.

Going from a 4870X2 to a 5870 is basically a sidegrade.

Going from a GTX 295 to a 5870 is a downgrade.

its not a downgrade, its call sidegrade...

going from 4870X2 is call upgrade... get it right...

and plus, I am switching from GTX 295/4890CF to 5870 also...

the main reason is that, when there is a single GPU perform the same or better compare to dual gpu, I find single GPU suits me better... and also those cards make my room extremely hot... if you own dualGPU setup u will know....

I had a 4870x2 (sold it), grabbed a 5870, will grab a 5870x2 when it is released.

Was almost going to do this and then attempt tri-crossfire. However, I would like to know whether the 5870X2 will have 2GB or 4GB. Don't want the single 5870 to limit the X2.

Also, from the one post I read, it appears the 5870X2 is going to be about 12" long. Going to need to try buying an undamaged Corsair 800D again between now and then. :D

I will wait until the 5870x2 or GT300 is release.

4870x2 to 5870 would not be a big upgrade, although i do like the decrease in power usage.

I am not upgrading from my 4870x2 to a 5870.. I will be waiting for the 5870x2 at the least.

Not giving up the 295 until DX11 takes off or see what Nvidia comes out with. Hate to buy ATI's top card only to find out its a downgrade from what Nvidia is /could bring out.

Not giving up the 295 until DX11 takes off or see what Nvidia comes out with. Hate to buy ATI's top card only to find out its a downgrade from what Nvidia is /could bring out.

its not a downgrade, they both have strength and weakness..

and while single GPU offer the same performance as dual-GPU, I rather have a single GPU.

its not a downgrade, they both have strength and weakness..

and while single GPU offer the same performance as dual-GPU, I rather have a single GPU.

I'm talking about Nvidia's next card when ever it gets released. If the 295 had DX11 support it be pretty much a done deal.

Last edited:
Yes I will replace my 4870x2 with a 5870 in my main gaming pc.

The 4870x2 will get moved to my secondary gaming pc.

Someone with a HD5870, run F@H on it. The 295 are about 14K PPD, 285s are near 10K PPD depending on wu.

I will wait until the 5870x2 or GT300 is release.

4870x2 to 5870 would not be a big upgrade, although i do like the decrease in power usage.

I cancelled my XFX 5870s I ordered from ZZF two days ago. I have a 4870x2 and will wait for the GT300 info or the 5870x2. I plan right now on at least upgrading with a pair of 5870x2 for a dual monitor setup i plan on getting but right now im on a 37inch 1080p monitor so the 4870x2 is more than enough.

waiting on the 5870x2 to replace my 4870x2, although it is tempting to go back to a single card setup due to heat and noise.

waiting on the 5870x2 to replace my 4870x2, although it is tempting to go back to a single card setup due to heat and noise.

The 4870 X2 is a single card. (Granted the 5870 would have about the same performance, DX11 support, and lower power usage.)

I'm upgrading from a 4870x2 + 4870 1Gb 3CF setup to 2x 5870 CF. I'm running a dell 3007wfp-hc (2560x1600) monitor. Honestly I didn't have issues gaming at max res with the 3CF setup, but this should offer a solid improvement over even that.

Might want to update your sig. You still show Tri-SLI 8800 GTXs. :p

I will not buy a GPU for more then $150. Prices drop so quick that I don't mind waiting a little while. My 4870 handles all the games I play with aplomb.

Running a 295 @ 700 clocks and have no need to drop down to get a 5870. I was thinking about it, but in the long run. I think the 295 would be able to run higher AA without too much of a hit vs the 5870.

I do like the fact that the cooling on the 5870 sucks air from the back and exhausts it through the front. With the single eVGA 295 CO-OP card I have it blows it out both ends so.

Running a 295 @ 700 clocks and have no need to drop down to get a 5870. I was thinking about it, but in the long run. I think the 295 would be able to run higher AA without too much of a hit vs the 5870.

I do like the fact that the cooling on the 5870 sucks air from the back and exhausts it through the front. With the single eVGA 295 CO-OP card I have it blows it out both ends so.

I thought I'd read that the "intakes" were just aesthetic plastic holes. But maybe you weren't talking about those.

295 handle AA better than 5870? you kidding ? :eek:

I'll at least be waiting for a while until both sides have their new cards out - especially the dual-GPU solutions. Personally, I think upgrading so soon is a waste (especially if you're coming from a previous-gen high end card).

It is an upgrade if you don't want to deal with multi-gpu solution.

That's just it, the multi-GPU solutions of today aren't like they used to be. Microstuttering and other issues have virtually been eliminated in modern designs. I've also rarely had Crossfire or SLI related issues. In fact in every recent game I've simply been able to force a rendering mode in the SLI control panel and get a performance boost that was problem free from day one of any given game's release.

In fact in every recent game I've simply been able to force a rendering mode in the SLI control panel and get a performance boost that was problem free from day one of any given game's release.
I sold my 4870x2 because I wasn't able to do that and because of the poor driver support for Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 last October

SLI and Nvidia's developer relations made me much happier to use it.

I sold my 4870x2 because I wasn't able to do that and because of the poor driver support for Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 last October

SLI and Nvidia's developer relations made me much happier to use it.

Well I sold my 4870 X2's but that's because of technical issues with the Intel D5400XS and the 4870 X2. When I put those cards in another machine they were fantastic.

That's just it, the multi-GPU solutions of today aren't like they used to be. Microstuttering and other issues have virtually been eliminated in modern designs. I've also rarely had Crossfire or SLI related issues. In fact in every recent game I've simply been able to force a rendering mode in the SLI control panel and get a performance boost that was problem free from day one of any given game's release.
I agree, I haven't had any problems with the CO-OP 295. Running some games in that Multi-GPU 32XQ is pretty snazzy... I haven't run into anything yet. I had a 4870X2 and I just hated ATI's drivers not allowing you to alter profiles to run games if you need it to be. I like the SLI profiles NVIDIA has.

I currently have a 285GTX SSC, so I'm waiting to see what the 5780X2 brings. Eyefinity is intriguing with my triple monitor setup, but I'd like to see more reviews.

Went from SLI 285 SSC to 5870, couldn't be happier. Some games stuttered HARD, many games simply didn't have existing profiles, it was loud as hell and ran hot as hell. It's no use when the FPS counter looks high but the game feels choppy. I'm not even talking about microstutter (I have no idea what it looks like) but I can see real stutter.

Went from SLI 285 SSC to 5870, couldn't be happier. Some games stuttered HARD, many games simply didn't have existing profiles, it was loud as hell and ran hot as hell. It's no use when the FPS counter looks high but the game feels choppy.
Good to know as I'll soon be upgrading to a 5870 from a GTX 285 SLI. :)

Replacing my Tri-Crossfire set-up (4870X2+4870) with another: 5870X2 + 5870. :)

Just waiting for the 5870X2...

I like my 4870x2 as well, though the small micro-studder can be annoying. DirectX 11 is what has me intrigued at the moment. By the time it will matter, I am sure a 5870x2 or the Nvidia GT300 will be out, so I will wait till then before upgrading.

Back