Are you switching to Volta/Ampere or Navi?

The question is will the 2080 be a big enough upgrade over the 1080Ti to be worth the upgrade.
If you already have a well overclocked 1080Ti card now for gaming, will it make sense to try to sell it & upgrade to a 2080 or will it be worth waiting a bit for highly overclocked 2080 cards to appear / the 2080Ti to come out next year.

If you don't already have a 1080Ti for gaming, then the 2080 would be a great card to jump into / to

I'd be interested in picking up 2 cards for my main rig, but only if they are Ti variants, and using the "aftermarket" style coolers. Can't stand anything blower style. So even if things go smooth I won't expect I'll have to think about any of this till late 2018, possibly early 2019 depending on how nvidia wants to roll out the next gen Titanium models. Gaming wise I'm set, and in reality what I need more is the perfect 4k gaming screen, 27", 144Hz, HDR, and all the fancy new things currently in the pipe.... seems like a long wait there too,

The pair of 1080Ti's I have in my main rig will probably get put into one of my 3 rack based miner systems. If I can snag a pair whenever they are released that will put me at 24 GPU's in the house churning away. This is my 2nd generation farm, I learned my lesson after the first bust in early bitcoin times, never sell your hardware unless you know you are 100% done and/or desperate for money.

If the Titan V is any indication, Volta is going to smoke Pascal clock for clock in the mining department. With that being said, I am not selling a single Pascal card unless i can get a Volta to replace it.

These Pascal cards will be worth quite a bit for a good long while.

If the Titan V is any indication, Volta is going to smoke Pascal clock for clock in the mining department. With that being said, I am not selling a single Pascal card unless i can get a Volta to replace it.

These Pascal cards will be worth quite a bit for a good long while.

I gambled the opposite.
I totally agree that Volta should smoke Pascal in the mining dept, but be a more typical 10-15% faster for gamers -- so it'll be a miner's dream card, but just a standard evolution for gamers. Thus since miners are driving the high prices, I suspect that Pascal will drop value pretty significantly when Volta hits. It's of no difference if you plan to mine for 3 years with your Pascal cards, but if you have to worry about heat during the summer and scale back your operations like I will, then I think by summer the 1080Ti will be selling for $450-$500 used on ebay. I took that assumption into account, and sold most of my 1080TI's while the market was stellar hot > $900 per card. I probably should have held onto them another month or so, but I didn't know how long the value would stay so high. So far it's holding.

I'm down to ten 1080TI cards. (sold about 60 cards total) I'm sticking there, as I'm not willing to sell all my cards in case mining profits drift back to Dec/Jan craziness where the 1080TI were making $10 -$12 a day. That was incredible. I'll restock, hopefully, another 8 card rig with volta, and wait until late summer early fall to buy in big again. My A/C is old, and my house is large, and it just can't keep up with too many cards.

Archaea You are not venting your card's heat to the outside somehow during the summer months? Sounds pretty nutty to let you house A/C cool the heat generated by ~70 1080Ti's. At 200 Watts each, that's like 14,000 Watts!

Archaea You are not venting your card's heat to the outside somehow during the summer months? Sounds pretty nutty to let you house A/C cool the heat generated by ~70 1080Ti's. At 200 Watts each, that's like 14,000 Watts!
That concern and the high used market pricing is why I sold most of them. However, I never had 70 going at one time. The most I ever had going at one individual time was about 40 GPUs. I was swapping cards a lot upgrading cards, flipping cards, building different systems. I’m a nonstop tinkerer.

No exhaust setup, just running them in my basement right by the furnace, and setting the nest to force the hvac fan to turn on for 30 minutes every hour to circulate the card heat. 40 cards was enough to keep the whole two story 3300 sq foot house too warm in the winter. I actually had to keep a window open in the basement unless it was less than about 20-30* outside. My wife complained the house was too hot anytime the temp was over about 30-40* outside. So yeah no way my old A/C could have done it in the summer.

I considered trying to do a Home Depot garden shed like voskcoin, and just use high CFM exchange with outside air, or loading the cards all into my garage, but my garage already gets ridicoulously hot so I’m not sure that would work. With all the factors I just decided to scale back. When Volta comes in I’ll have new decisions to make.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I got 12 rigs going with 77 GPU's between them, all in my house. They are sucking down right around 12,500 watts between them:

GPU_power_2_24_18.JPG

When I look at everything, including Burst miner, all the network gear, media servers, all the stuff the kids leave running all the time, I'm just under 20,000 watts 24/7!

all_power_2_24_18.JPG

Those dips in the usage are from when the sun peaked out briefly during the rain we've had all day today.

I really need to get off my butt and start working on moving all my rigs out into my shop building and add the needed ventilation. A few days ago it go up to like 76 F outside, and the whole house was in the upper 80's with all windows open. Wife was not happy, lol.

Back