Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?

• Total voters
I

CPU 85.00, Memory 40.00, MOBO 90.00 = 215.00

My games no longer experience slight lag here and there + my graphics card the 260GTX with this CPU just flies through my games like butter,

Long story short. AMD FTW! Always.

With that video card and ram, you must be playing on a low resolution monitor, right?

Another data point for you socket 775 fence-sitters:

Do it. :)

I went from an X38 board running a Q6600 (B3, no less) at 3.2Ghz to a 2600K that's rock steady at 4.4Ghz on the stock Intel heatsink. It'll do 4.8 with that POS cooler but I don't like the temps. Sadly, it looks like it'll be next week before my Swiftech adapter bits come in so I can get this working on water.

But clock-speed aside, this thing just smokes my old C2Q, benchmarks, applications, and especially gaming. Just a lot more fluidity to the whole experience. It's also using a lot less juice to do it.

Well, I knew I wasn't going to be able to hold out much longer when I decided to upgrade last night because I found my Hard Drive was 2% fragmented (If that's not looking for "any" excuse, what is?)

I managed to hold the upgrade monster at bay until a very (un?)fortunate issue I encountered this morning...

It would seem that the LiteOn PATA DVD+-RW I have in my old build is starting to act up (Or it's the IDE channel on the motherboard...not really certain. I had all of 3 minutes to troubleshoot)

In any event, the problem left me unable to burn some important files to DVD that I needed to bring to work. The damn drive just. would. not. show up in Windows. (JMicron, I hate you)

That being the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, I decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade now. It's a cheaper upgrade now than it would have been for S2011 this fall, especially if I decide to sell the old Q9650-based system it is replacing to defray the cost.

I figure if I upgrade now, sell the old system (with a SATA DVD+-RW), and bank that money, when S2011 is released I can use that money I've been sitting on to upgrade from P67 to whatever flavor of the month Board/CPU/RAM combo seems most attractive.

I had every intention of purchasing an Asus P8P67Deluxe today but, when I was looking at the list of S1155 motherboards, I selected the MSI P67A-GD65, instead.

I think it was mainly because I remember reading that the Reviewers used Corsair Vengence RAM in it without problems, which is the kind I wanted to run to maintain my system, since it is got kind of a Corsair "vibe" to it:

Case – Corsair Obsidian 800d
PSU – Corsair AX-850w Modular PSU
HeatSink – Corsair H70 Hydro
RAM – 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3
CPU – Intel Sandy Bridge 2600k
Mobo – MSI P67A-GD65
BD+-RW – LiteOn BluRay +-RW drive

Already have drives and video cards & waiting on a decent price for the Corsair Speakers.

In any event, I think it'll do for a while

With that video card and ram, you must be playing on a low resolution monitor, right?

Sony Trinitron 17" @ 1280x1024 resolution. So yes it is less than 1920x1080p. When I purchase a 23" 1080p I will tell you if it still performs, but you could easily get a MSI/Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07323 600062521 600007779&IsNodeId=1&name=1GB graphics card for similar price as the AMD I posted, which has 336 stream processors unlike my GTX260 which has only 192 Stream Processors. The 460GTX would run 1080p for the guy I would think @ that resolution compared to what I run currently 260GTX @ 1280x1024. Super silky smooth. :p

I upgraded from a Q6600/8GB RAM to a 2500k/Asus P8P67 Pro/16GB RAM for $170 and $160 respectively (MC deal) and $230 for Vengeance RAM. IMHO worth it unless you are seriously considering spending the money for LGA2011. Consider that LGA2011 will start at prices around the 2600k and MBs will start at the upper end of LGA1155 MBs. I don't plan on needing more than 16GB of RAM anytime soon, nor am I planning on more than dual GPUs, etc.

LGA2011 faster? Yes, but will it be fast enough to justify spending $300-$400 on a CPU or MB at the entry level? Not for me and not for most people. This is HardOCP though, so I look forward to the early LGA2011 OCs!

Sony Trinitron 17" @ 1280x1024 resolution. So yes it is less than 1920x1080p. When I purchase a 23" 1080p I will tell you if it still performs, but you could easily get a MSI/Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07323 600062521 600007779&IsNodeId=1&name=1GB graphics card for similar price as the AMD I posted, which has 336 stream processors unlike my GTX260 which has only 192 Stream Processors. The 460GTX would run 1080p for the guy I would think @ that resolution compared to what I run currently 260GTX @ 1280x1024. Super silky smooth. :p

I would say go no lower than a GTX470 (GTX570?) for 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200)

Was running a C2D for 3+ years and recently upgraded to an i7 960. I will be sticking with that for the foreseeable future.

Hemming and hawing about holding out for this (which I am a little short of funds for) or going with the AMD 1055T. I live 5 minutes from Microcenter so both are deals. Either way I gotta upgrade this x2 4600 I've been riding for a few years now.

CORE 2 E8400 at 3.6 ghz. The upgrade to I5 2500k is a no-brainer. My CPU is limiting my Radeon 6950 in every DX11 game.

I've spent too much on this rig, sort of. I do nothing but Tetris and powerpoint, where when the pain end???

Hmm, my Q9550 will hold out a little bit longer, it's not too pressing until I replace my 2x19" monitors with something a bit larger. (It'll be a pain to replace my nice PVA Eizo, not to mention finding the space).

With that done, it should be about time to finally retire my Core2 setup. I've been upgrading it since early 2007, so it's lasted well. :)

My system is fine right now, maybe a graphics card update in the next year, but certainly nothing major for a while, maybe 2012-13 who knows, might just keep what I have until it cannot play the games I want to play.

Hemming and hawing about holding out for this (which I am a little short of funds for) or going with the AMD 1055T. I live 5 minutes from Microcenter so both are deals. Either way I gotta upgrade this x2 4600 I've been riding for a few years now.

Well I went and bought a 2500k and Gigabyte P67 board. So no more AMD for me for the moment.

I am running my i7 950 at 4GHZ with minimal voltage increase and SB does not provide enough performance gain for me.
The only thing that bothers me is my motherboard's lack of feature. No USB3, no SATA3 and the spacing between the primary and second video cards is too tight.
On the other hand, I think that I can survive until socket 2011...;)

It's fun to overclock with... but I think most of us are salivating over both socket 2011, and new upcoming AMD releases ;x IMO, if you have a box that's pre-1366, you've waited this long... what's another 6 months REALLY going to do to you?

It's fun to overclock with... but I think most of us are salivating over both socket 2011, and new upcoming AMD releases ;x IMO, if you have a box that's pre-1366, you've waited this long... what's another 6 months REALLY going to do to you?

I'm wondering just how much better 2011 is really going to be. 1155 has tons of memory bandwidth, so it isn't like the chips are memory starved, and I don't see 2011 running at that much higher clock-speed, so unless you really need more cores, I don't see how 2011 is sooo much better than 1155. More PCIe lanes, yes, but what else about it is so compelling?

I'm wondering just how much better 2011 is really going to be. 1155 has tons of memory bandwidth, so it isn't like the chips are memory starved, and I don't see 2011 running at that much higher clock-speed, so unless you really need more cores, I don't see how 2011 is sooo much better than 1155. More PCIe lanes, yes, but what else about it is so compelling?

Probably not a lot, the extra cores are probably the big thing.

That's a very good point. It stands to reason that it will boil down to cores - but we also have to remember that the 1156/1155 products are typically more of a consumer product - where as the 1366 (and soon 2011) are considered a pretty dominant force if you're using software that takes advantage of the benefits. If you're a gamer? Who cares about 2011? Won't make a difference anyway - but for your CS5 professional, it's going to be well worth the wait, even with CUDA support playing a factor in software performance.

With 5GHz easily achievable with the 1155 stuff, I can't wait to see what happens with 2011 products. But that's another topic.

5GHZ is easily achievable? I do not think so. At least, not on air...

From benchmark reviews web site
apparently only about 10% of the initial run of Core i7-2600K processors can do 5GHZ.

Last edited:
E8500 with a modest OC to 3.8ghz. It's working fine for now. The only games I play are TF2, L4D2, and Fallout 3.
I'll probably upgrade sometime before The Elder Scrolls V comes out.

Currently own a Core i7-920 and can find no compelling reason to upgrade to the 2600k.

If my system is unable to handle this next round of games I'm installing from the Steam
holiday pack, I'll probably look at upgrading, but this scenario is highly unlikely. Unless
something comes along this year that pushes my desktop, I'll stay as is.

5GHZ is easily achievable? I do not think so. At least, not on air...

From benchmark reviews web site

I don't want to derail the point of the topic. Hit me up if you want to discuss.

Yeah, I don't see a reason for people with 1366 solutions to upgrade to 1155... unless you've got the itch :) The itch can be quite compelling...

I am waiting on the 2011 socket processors myself. I think it will be well worth the wait. From what I've been reading (correct me if I am wrong), but current CPU's are a bottle neck when it comes to using high end video cards for games and other applications. The Sandy Bridge looks awesome, but I'm skipping it also because I won't be using my rig much until around the time the 2011 socket processors comes out. I also like the quad channel RAM feature. Theres my 2 cents I cant wait to get my hands on the 2011 processors!

This is the chipset that is going to offer the most bang for your buck. With 2011 starting out at at least $400 and going up from there. The 2500k/2600K is the way to go financially, and SB seems to be like the Q6600 of years past, easy to overclock and stable.

Maybe maybe not, regardless, 5GHz is no easy task as of now.

Reading many sites and forums it is very common to find 5GHz on air. The exact stats, who will know, but on every forum there are many who hit 5GHz on air and the best part is they do it very easily with SB. I have seen 5.2GHz stable on air thus far and it has only been a week.

This is the chipset that is going to offer the most bang for your buck. With 2011 starting out at at least $400 and going up from there. The 2500k/2600K is the way to go financially, and SB seems to be like the Q6600 of years past, easy to overclock and stable.

Reading many sites and forums it is very common to find 5GHz on air. The exact stats, who will know, but on every forum there are many who hit 5GHz on air and the best part is they do it very easily with SB. I have seen 5.2GHz stable on air thus far and it has only been a week.

When I saw the x58 boards come out you could get a good reliable board for around $220 then the processor for like $240 so unless your talking about processor+mobo I don't see one or the other being $400+. I think it will be worth the wait and worth saving the money for the new 2011 socket.

When I saw the x58 boards come out you could get a good reliable board for around $220 then the processor for like $240 so unless your talking about processor+mobo I don't see one or the other being $400+. I think it will be worth the wait and worth saving the money for the new 2011 socket.

LGA 2011 is the enthusiast and server chip market. Why would they be cheaper than SB? You can always wait longer and there will always be a faster, smaller, lighter, cooler running [insert upgrade here].

LGA 2011 is the enthusiast and server chip market. Why would they be cheaper than SB? You can always wait longer and there will always be a faster, smaller, lighter, cooler running [insert upgrade here].

I don't think I said they would be cheaper than SB's. Just getting some opinions on my guess for the price range of the LGA2011. And yes that is always true that one can wait longer and there will be faster.

I'm waiting for the successor to the 1366. I want my next motherboard/cpu to be hexacore and also hopefully overclock to these crazy 2600k levels. 2600k makes me drool for sure but I want the hexacore version of it with the quad ddr3 memory controller. LOL, insane I know. But why not!

I'm posting from what's in my Sig. I bought it about 2 years ago, planned on not upgrading again for around 5. It's been a dream machine for me to be honest, very happy with it and don't really feel the need to change. I do more VMWare and Video work then anything, but also use as my day to day box (only have one game installed, that's like 4 years old.)

However, that being said:

My current server is getting a bit long in the tooth, and since I both plan to upgrade it at the end of 2011, and want it to run for a long time (5+ years) without having to do much, I am going to retire my MB, CPU and RAM from this machine to build the foundation of the new server. And since I tend to put down a lot of HP right off the bat for my personal machines, I think the LGA 2011 chips with 36/48/64 GB of ram and a higher end MB will do just fine. I'll probably buy the cheapest CPU for it, just to reduce costs and to give me easy upgradeable.

The really nice thing is, I'll be shopping right around the holiday season and I know that will help reduce costs.

Currently very stoked on my 950 rig, the way games are (or should I say aren't) going I don't think I'll feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. Only thing I'll be doing this year (upgrade wise) is slapping in one of those Intel G3 SSDs whenever they hit.

People said the same thing about Q6600 and 3.6GHz because they saw that number thrown around the forums. The reality was that only a small percentage of Q6600's could get that speed stable with acceptable temps on air cooling. I'll bet money the same is true for the 2600k

Going from a q6600 that would only run @ 3ghz (3.2 if you pushed it) to a 2600k that will do 4.8ghz easily (5 with some effort). Id have to say the 2600k is a much easier to overclock. Still the q6600 isn't bad when you consider the q6600 cost half as much as the 2600k and it really was a big step up, whereas Sandy Bridge is just an [noticeable] improvement on the i series.

Going from a q6600 that would only run @ 3ghz (3.2 if you pushed it) to a 2600k that will do 4.8ghz easily (5 with some effort). Id have to say the 2600k is a much easier to overclock. Still the q6600 isn't bad when you consider the q6600 cost half as much as the 2600k and it really was a big step up, whereas Sandy Bridge is just an [noticeable] improvement on the i series.

I wasn't comparing them clock for clock guy. :rolleyes:

I don't think I will be upgrading my i7 anytime soon, maybe this time next year if Intel's new stuff comes out then; but I will be on this platform for at least a year. If anything, I will upgrade my video card within' a year.

Back