Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?

• Total voters
Currently on a Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz I've had for 3 years and I am upgrading to a 2600K with 16GB ram.

can't wait.

will turn my Q9550 into a media server.

Was really tempted by Microcenter bundle package with the Asus Pro board. Having been an early adopter of Conroe I think its smarter to hold out for the socket2011 desktops.

A 2600K + motherboard wouldn't really cost much after I sold my i7 950/X58, and would beat it silly when effortlessly overclocked, plus use less power to boot (vs o/c i7 950). It's something very un-[H] like to say, but I just don't need it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any performance right now.

A 2600K + motherboard wouldn't really cost much after I sold my i7 950/X58, and would beat it silly when effortlessly overclocked, plus use less power to boot (vs o/c i7 950). It's something very un-[H] like to say, but I just don't need it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any performance right now.

You should sell it anyway. That way you'll save money on power.

You should sell it anyway. That way you'll save money on power.
It wouldn't really save much. I don't run the desktop all day, or run heavy loads on it for a significant amount of time that it's on. The $100 or so the upgrade would cost would take me years to recover through power savings. ;)

It really boils down to how much benefit I would get from the speed improvements, and that's pretty insignificant to me right now. Very fast to very, very fast just isn't drawing me in. I'll upgrade by the end of the year after S2011 comes out.

I was tempted to upgrade because Sandy Bridge clearly is such a great chip, but on second thought I realize that when gaming on 1920x1200, the gain in speed is very small compared to my Core I7. Sandy Bridge draws less power though, but OTH my graphics cards are very power hungry, so my system would still need a lot of power.
Another SSD-drive or a SLI-setup would give me more real world computing power.

Same reasoning here. I'm only upgrading my CPU when apps demand it. Nothing I do is limited by my C2Q. GPU upgrades will be the order of the day as usual.

Hmm I see someone selling i7 920@4,0 with P6T deluxe v.2 for less than i5 2600K do you guys think it's good idea?

i really wanna hit the button on sandy but my i7 at 4.5 is insanely fast already , but she cant do with HT on . . . ill think ill wait or buy someones 980x later :)

I started the thread to take advantage of the wisdom of the crowd. It seems the crowd is split on whether to upgrade from C2Q to the current sandy platform. I guess I'll wait for 2011 and luckily I just saw what Charlie posted New stuff coming up.

I started the thread to take advantage of the wisdom of the crowd. It seems the crowd is split on whether to upgrade from C2Q to the current sandy platform. I guess I'll wait for 2011 and luckily I just saw what Charlie posted New stuff coming up.

The answer is really simpler than you're making it out to be.

Do you need or want more performance than your current system provides?

Upgrading now for me. If I were to wait until quarter 3 I'd just stick it out until Ivy Bridge next year. Also the 2500k met my upgrade goals of twice as fast stock at h.264 encoding and the right idle power requirements.

Q9550 and skipping. Maybe when the new 2011 socket comes out or if AMD magically surprises us with Bulldozer I'll upgrade. Might even wait until Ivy if I can.

Sticking with my i7-860......for now. If the prices somehow manage to eventually drop over the next several months I might be persuaded to go for a 2600k.

Planning to crossgrade from a i7-920 due to much lesser idle power.

Are you serious???????? Cmon!!!

I've got a 920 laying around and I'm trying to determine if I should get just an X58 board or a 2600 as an upgrade for my backup QX9650 single GTX 480 rig. I'll probably just get a X58 board since I have a triple channel 6 GB set of RAM as well and wait for LGA-2011 for my next upgrade.

The answer is really simpler than you're making it out to be.

Do you need or want more performance than your current system provides?

I always need "more". However, I bought the gtx 360 1GB and less than 5 months later I was looking at the Radeon 6950 and the GTX 570. I don't want a repeat of that...

I always need "more". However, I bought the gtx 360 1GB and less than 5 months later I was looking at the Radeon 6950 and the GTX 570. I don't want a repeat of that...

As stated that will always be the case. With Sandy Bridge it will be in the form of LGA 2011

these new SB mobos have amazing specs. but i must hold myself and wait for the 2011s. god help me.

Upgrading from C2D E6300 (original) @ 3.0Ghz to i7-2600K
Also upgrading my RAM from 2GB to 8GB and keeping my ATI HD5770

I have i7 920 and 930. SB is nice, but just not worth it to me really. I am going to hold out for the 2011 socket CPUs. Apparently supposed to be 6-core/12HT CPUs in the mix. That would make the upgrade worthwhile to me.

Last edited:
I'm on a Q6600 and I'm skipping. Will definitely be doing a new build come LGA2011 though.

Dont know how to answer this as I was on a e6400 build and bought a i7 950 last week of Dec. but since I'm in the return window I am returning the CPU and MB and ordered the SB instead.

I wont upgrade again for probably a couple of years...

I was going to upgrade but didn't get the MC deals, so I'm skipping and keeping the Q6600. Glad it turned out like this, it was an impulse decision to scratch the upgrade itch :)

I just came from a E6600 @ 3.250ghz, ddr2 800mhz, ASUS SLI mobo SATA3+USB 2.0. Same SATA Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB 7200 RPM, and 260GTX used in both builds.

Which cost me back in late 06/07 E6600 CPU 340.00, Memory 110.00, MOBO 150.00. Close to 600.00 dollars also add in a 45.00 Thermaltake Blu Orb cooler. So 650.00 for all that back in the day.

2 weeks ago I purchased an AMD X3 Rana 455 @ 3.3ghz stock, ddr3 1333, ASRock Extreme 870 SATA6+USB3.0 (Unlocked the 4th Core in bios, with changing one setting :p), Stock cooler maxes out @ 52c under heavy gaming/benchmarking. Idles in mid 30's on start-up or Torrent-ing. Also the power saving is better than intels, this CPU drops to 800mhz while idling I think it's called Cool n Quiet or sumthing. The intel dropped to 1600mhz with Speedstep. So my electricity usage will be down a little.

CPU 85.00, Memory 40.00, MOBO 90.00 = 215.00

Also If I choose to upgrade to AM3+ in the soon future all I have to get for it is a new motherboard with better gaming support than the Crossfire my board already has. Which as I said only cost 90.00. My X3/quad core AM3 CPU will be compatible with the AM3+ boards, along with my 2x2GB ddr3 1333, and I'll get a new Bulldozer chip when the best cost/performance bulldozer chip arrives if I need it to play any newer games like TES5 Skyrim. :)

My games no longer experience slight lag here and there + my graphics card the 260GTX with this CPU just flies through my games like butter, it maxes out the performance on my gtx260 which my Intel E6600+ASUS mobo could never ever do! lol I can't imagine if I ever had 2 260GTX's how much performance I would have lost/sacrificed/wasted, even @ 3.250 Ghz OC on the E6600. This stock X3 with the unlocked core completely destroys it for an affordable price 215.00!

Intels platforms die to quickly, and they always leave the consumer (you!) with no upgrade options (you just have to suck it up and buy a whole new platform YIPPEE!!!) or if there are any options they are much more overpriced. Check the Socket 775 CPU's offered on NewEgg if anyone doesn't believe me. Do they have a 84.99 quad core or tri-core processor available! LOL! I would have spent twice as much or more on a quad core 775 replacement to the E6600, and I also bet that CPU would not perform as well as my AM3 CPU I have now.

ASRock mobos don't OC well from my experience but I already knew that, and I was not concerned with OCing with this CPU anyhow. :) When Bulldozer comes around I might change my tune, go with one of those corsair watercooling units or Noctua and OC this X3 if that doesn't work I get a better CPU (Bulldozer and be HAPPY!). :p Either way I win, and have cash for other things in life.

Long story short. AMD FTW! Always.

Back