Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?

• Total voters
Zarathustra[H];1036658282 said:
I did something summer 2009 when I went from a Athlon 64 3000+ with 1gb ram and an AGP Geforce 6800GT to a core i7 rig :)

I think I remember when you built that rig...

Still on a Q6600, but I can't justify the upgrade at this point. Possibly after Bulldozer release and the SATA 6 SSDs are out.

I think I remember when you built that rig...

I know. It rekindled my computer hardware addiction big time.

Things I have learned since:

When living with your fiancée, Clicky Model M keyboards, late night computing and bedrooms don't mix.

I need a bigger house!

2500k for me, getting everything together from various sites. Now if only i could decide on a case.

The irony is that my parents need a new PC so i'm giving them my C2D which is still doing ok at 2.89 Ghz. Just making a few upgrade for them like an SSD (i use 2 in my own machine).

And we shall see if this SB will last me 4 years also, with minimal upgrades like a vid card, a few years from now. Oh the joy.

my next upgrade will be a six-core or eight core cpu.

why go from quad to quad, i know sb is faster but it just doesnt satisfy much.

I WANT to upgrade for the simple thrill of building a new system, but i certainly don't need to, as such, I'll be holding off on SB, for a while anyway. There may be an upgrade in my future sometime in 2012. I also get much more enjoyment from an upgrade when it consists of an entirely new build and not just upgrading a component or two. As long as my games can maintain ~45fps at my native resolution, i'll be content enough with this box. When it starts to struggle to do that, and upgrade will not be far behind.

Last edited:
2500k for me from an AMD Phenom 9600. I've tried to stretch 2 years on this processor and it has been hard. Hoping the 2500k can last me 4 years as well with system upgrades in between.

On an E6600 @ 3.3ghz, waiting on socket 2011. Built this guy in summer of 2006. I know I got my money's worth from this processor.

Well, I've upgraded to SB to tide me over. But I'll still need two more builds this year (2011 is the likely socket). I'll be retiring my Q8400 -> fileserver/HTPC duty and give away the other two systems to other family members and friends who need it.

I am holding out for socket 2011. I am actually running at 4GHZ which is more than enough for now...

Will C2Q still hold a good resale value once Ivy Bridge comes out? Or would it be best to get Sandy Bridge now and sell off my C2Q parts.

I upgraded from a 939 AMD platform to an I7 920 last year, and I'm really satisified with it. I'll wait for the next revolution.

I WANT to upgrade for the simple thrill of building a new system, but i certainly don't need to, as such, I'll be holding off on SB, or a while anyway. There may be an upgrade in my future sometime in 2012. I also get much more enjoyment from an upgrade when it consists of an entirly new build and not just uprading a component or two. As long as my games can maintain ~45fps at my native resolution, i'll be content enough with this box. When it starts to struggle to do that, and upgrade will not be far behind.

I hear you. I may at some point sell the 4890s and get a single mid to high end card like a 5870/6870/6950 or their equivalent Geforce versions if the prices come down, but apart from that I don't see any upgrades for at least the next year. I may pick up a SSD at some point.

Definitely skipping. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

While the improvements look really nice, it would be the smart thing if I wait till at least LGA2011.
Even then... I might not upgrade depending how well my 950 holds up.

Happy with my current setup. Going to wait until SKT2011 comes out. Seems logical to me.

I *might* have considered upgrading if I wasn't forced to buy a new mobo every time a new CPU is released. Then again, my i7 920 is a champ. It's very powerful, and I've taken it to 4GHz before. It's never had a challenge that it can't handle! My next upgrade will be my GTX 285, but even that is holding up well. I don't think it will last until the next generation of video cards, but I don't foresee an upgrade very soon. Why fix something that ain't broke? ;)

I am considering the upgrade, but I am mostly holding out to see how AMD's Bulldozer performs then I'll see what I want to do. I am in no hurry with my i5-750 @ 4Ghz.

Just upgraded to a i7-950 from a Q6600, not intention on upgrading for at least 1 year, hopefully 2 years or more though.

I was tempted to upgrade because Sandy Bridge clearly is such a great chip, but on second thought I realize that when gaming on 1920x1200, the gain in speed is very small compared to my Core I7. Sandy Bridge draws less power though, but OTH my graphics cards are very power hungry, so my system would still need a lot of power.
Another SSD-drive or a SLI-setup would give me more real world computing power.

Waiting for my c2d to die so I have an excuse to upgrade. Though I may wait to kill it for LGA2011, whenever that is...

I was going to get SB but I found Asus Maximus III Formula for $150 and i5-760 for $185 minus $70 in coupons...

I'm running a Q9650 at 3.8ghz and a single GTX 480 right now and for the most part it handles everything I throw at it. I'm most likely going to stick with this setup until 2011 comes out and then get 2x of whatever refresh to the GTX 580 that will hopefully be out by then.

The current asking prices of used q9550s are about the same as that of a new 2500k (at MC price anyway). Hard to do that, coming from a c2d, as painfully easy as the drop-in would be.
DDR3 is dirt cheap now too. The wild card will be the mobo.

Uh, boy, my old revolutionary E6600 will be missed, but I have to let it go.. It lasted me almost 5 years and most of the games still run fine.. What else can you ask for from the Conroe? :)

The current asking prices of used q9550s are about the same as that of a new 2500k (at MC price anyway). Hard to do that, coming from a c2d, as painfully easy as the drop-in would be.
DDR3 is dirt cheap now too. The wild card will be the mobo.

Was pretty much my dilemma at this point as well. Yes, something like a Q9x50 would rock but even now the prices are ridiculous compared to a new setup with SB. Currently on a 65nm E6400 @ 3.0Ghz and it's *mostly* fine for what I need, but it shows it's age in some applications. Seems the current SB line-up would do well (upgrade) for C2D dual core owners (esp. older 65nm tech). Anyone higher, esp. i7 setups would most likely be a side-grade than anything.

I was either thinking of getting a used Q6600 as a hold-me-over till we saw some more bull-dozer action (that sounds like a really bad pr0n move) but I worry that demand may drive some of the introductory prices for SB up in the coming months.

no option for me.

Im currently on a Pentium 4 Presscott and im skipping for Ivy Bridge socket 2011.

funny the people who couldn't wait the extra month and just had to upgrade in November or December.

I just upgraded to an i7 870 2-3 months ago so I am skipping it.
My upgrade was pretty much free and due to timing. Client needed a machine fixed asap and used my parts to fix/upgrade theirs and used my labor cost to offset the i7 upgrade.

My Q6600 is holding up rather well and still has a bit to go on its OC. I'm planning on waiting until die shrink "Tick" processors before I consider upgrading. It also gives AMD time to release desktop bulldozers so I can compare prior to upgrading. Only upgrade I might do this year is add a SSD.

My Q6600 is holding up rather well and still has a bit to go on its OC. I'm planning on waiting until die shrink "Tick" processors before I consider upgrading. It also gives AMD time to release desktop bulldozers so I can compare prior to upgrading. Only upgrade I might do this year is add a SSD.

Yeah, I'm holding on to my P8400 laptop, but I'll probably buy a new 24nm SSD when they're out. 22nm ivy bridge feels like the limit of what's possible in terms of die shrinks, so that will be a good time to upgrade IMO.

With a i7 950 at 4.3ghz it just isn't worth it to me right now. Now adding another HD6870 is a possibility, but I'm not struggling now and very likely could skip crossfire and wait for the next generation of cards.

I'd say definitely do the SSD upgrade. I've got one desktop and one laptop with a SSD and several other computers without and I never even turn those on anymore.

I am going to upgrade for sure and in just about every aspect of my current rig's specs.
I plan on going to quad SLI (GTX 580's), three monitors(not sure which yet), REVO2 drive for games and boot (240gb), 2 tb RAID 1+0 setup for back up and everything else. Just waiting for Sandy Bridge and I'm all over it.

Tempted, but I'm skipping this go-round. Or at least planning to...I might well lose my mind and get a 2700K or whatever down the line, let alone Ivy Bridge, but right now I'm actually happy with my i7/950.

Back