Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?

• Total voters
If you're still perfectly fine with your old cpu, then there's no point upgrading. It doesn't matter if your CPU is 3-4 years old already. The important question is if it still works great for you or not.

This is my mindset as well. I have a Q9650 at 4.2 which does everything fine but i still want to get a 2600k. Drivin me nuts.

C2D 6850 and Nvidia 260 - time for upgrade cycle and handing the old system down.

I think I built it mid-2007.

My core I7 860 and Core I5 750 currently serve my needs. For the entry price of ~$400-$500 (CPU + Mobo) I may be tempted to upgrade my secondary PC now and my primary PC when Socket 2011 comes out.

If I win the Mega-Million tonight I will upgrade to a 2600K and if not I will stick with my C2Q. :)

I might be, but only the motherboard and processor.

My EVGA x58 SLI LE only works with 4 gigs (2x2) right now, otherwise it won't get past POSTing.

I also hoping for more room on the board so I can use a single slot card, so I can better accommodate my fourth monitor. No room for another card, and I have to switch out of crossfire in order to use the monitor.

:(

Last edited:
This is my mindset as well. I have a Q9650 at 4.2 which does everything fine but i still want to get a 2600k. Drivin me nuts.

Me too, first time I've ever sat out an entire architecture/socket - I'm moving to SB just so I can keep calling myself an enthusiast.

I'm upgrading. I'd say I got my money's worth owning a q6600 for over 4 years now.

Right now, I can't see why you wouldn't upgrade the Core2's to the new 2500/2600k's (outside of finances or needing skt 2011 power)....the performance clock for clock is night and day, you could possibly get an overclock of 1.4ghz more than you could with a Core2, and the price (2600k) is pretty much the same as a q6600 back in December of '06.

Last edited:
I was planning on upgrading sometime this year but my budget said otherwise. So as a stopgap I picked up the Q9300 at Micro Center last month. Instead of moving into 2011 tech, I went from 2006 to 2008.

Unfortunately I will be skipping SB. Oh well...

While the performance of the K's are impressive, I believe I may wait until the high end boards and procs are released.

I wish I were more certain, but that Asus P867(?) EVO board is looking mighty tasty...

The Q6600 is still a monster cpu for non-gamers. I don't think I've ever has a cpu which was so versatile. I added an SSD last year and that's made a much bigger difference than a cpu upgrade could have.

All that being said, the upgrade itch is strong :D

I'm torn on this one.

I have a core i7-920, which is currently running at stock speeds due to it being in a small form factor shuttle case with inadequate cooling for a real overclock.

I really want to get more CPU performance and SLI, but my current case won't allow for this, and the motherboard is a custom board designed for this case, and as such can not be transferred to another case.

So I am either stuck at stock speeds with one video card, or I get a new case, and a new motherboard if I want to overclock, and do an SLI setup.

If I am going to buy a new motherboard today, it makes little sense - I think - to get another X58 board when I could get a sandy bridge board, and hit almost 5ghz on air... But then I'd also need a new CPU and then I'd be itching for an upgrade to LGA2011 when it comes out in less than a year...

While it looks cool, and is a space saver, I'm starting to wish I never got a Shuttle SFF case...

Decisions

I decided to wait for the 22nm revision, since on single threaded programs, 2600k stock volt OC is only ~40-50% faster than a i3 530 @ 4ghz, but blows it away on multi-threaded apps. By the time 22nm comes out, many mainstream SSD drives will maxing out the SATA 6gb bus while being reasonably priced, making it extremely enticing to upgrade all in 1 step.

I'm on a QX6600 (engineering sample!) on a 680i motherboard... it's definitely time for an upgrade; the motherboard is 4 years old and while it still works, it just makes me feel dirty to have such an aged system. I was waiting for Sandy just because the first gen core-i CPUs were already so far into their life cycle by the time I felt an upgrade was worth it.

The real tipping point was recently buying a 120GB Intel SSD which my motherboard just barely gets along with. I can't wait to see this drive at full throttle.

It also doesn't help that this poor 65nm CPU edges up to 75c in Core 0 at stock voltage with no OC.

Looking at my aging rig I am going to be upgrading once Bulldozer hits.

I will most likely buy what ever is fastest and most cores at the price point of ~$300 for mobo and cpu, which could just be the 2500k.

I have not really played much games on the computer because I have not been able to run anything new for a while. Not sure if i will ever get back into PC gaming, but I need a new computer just to speed general web usage and encoding. Throw in a $150 video card and I should be able to play anything i want.

Last edited:
If Intel hadn't crippled SB's release (P67 doesn't support onchip gpu, K don't support VT-d) this would be a simpler decision. If Bulldozer is out early this year, it will be a much cheaper upgrade.

My CPU seems to have lots of headroom. With a better board, PSU, and cooling I'm fairly confident I'll have little effort hitting 3.8 or 4GHz if the need should arise. Default VID is 1.1875v, E0 if anyone is curious...

I will most likely end up waiting to see if Bulldozer really measures up and moves mountains (unlikely from what I gather) or just ends up being a Tonka toy pushing sand in face of Intel's lineup at the time of release and go from there.

Have a 6 core AMD processor that should last me till I complete last year of school,so I am out this go round.

I lied.

Last edited:
Skipping the CPU updates on most of my boxes for now. Will probably update video cards in the next few months, however.

Not sure...I have an Athlon II X4 635 OC'd to 3.3 GHz. I know that upgrading would be a big step up, but I'd also have to get a new mobo and ram.

Considering my rapidly aging 4850, I think I'd be better served upgrading the video card.

I am going to wait until the "enthusiast" grade chips are relaesed at the end of this year.

My X58 is plenty fast, and could go faster.

Now that Corsair makes those 4GB Vengence sticks, if anything I'll just add some more RAM to the mix.......12>6:eek::eek:

My q6600 started showing it's age when I bought two gtx470s. I am anxiously awaiting the i7-2600k. LET ME BUY THE DAMN THING ALREADY lol

Waiting to see what the 2011 brings. The i7 920 still kicks ass, it isn't the fastest anymore but it still handles all I can throw at it.

Replacing i5 - 760, i7 - 860, 1190T. I was not very impressed with the latest offerings from AMD. Same die, just up the multiplier for a year now? And 6-cores doesn't do squat for my needs. Wish I hadn't bought that 1190T, but that another thread...

Keeping i7 - 875 time 2, i7 - 975x, i7 -980x time 2. Waiting for Ivy Bridge and see what happens later this year.

I hope Bulldozer brings something new from AMD. It's been a very dissappointing 2 + years from AMD now.

Looking forward to at least 3 new 2600k systems. Just need MB's and CPUs, then good to go...

I might just try and see if I can pick up a rampage formula(x48) or maximus formula(x38) + a g3 SSD and see if I can resist the urge for a big upgrade for another year..

I think I will be very satisfied with my Phenom II X6 (replaces my Athlon XP 2500+) for years to come. Most of its perceived speed comes from the Vertex 2E - and I think that's the most important part. Any CPU intensive app I run is multithreaded anyway, so my X6 can still hold its own against a Core i7 2500 for the tasks I ask of it.

Therefore any further upgrades I'll get should focus only on the I/O system, perhaps a tiered approach: RAMdisk, PCIe SSD, SATA 6.0Gbps SSD, Velociraptor, 2TB drives. I'll never run Windows from a hard drive again, so I don't see the point of booting off 3TB drives.

Even if I am satisfied with my Phenom, I still plan to upgrade to Bulldozer incrementally by first buying a AM3+ motherboard, and then some months later the CPU itself and the other necessary parts. Maybe I'm just compensating for the fact that I haven't owned a fast enough computer in years... so I want 2 :D

Last edited:
Core2Quad, skipping.

I may end up with an Ivy Bridge chip, or who knows, some Bulldozer variant, but Sandy Bridge as it stands isn't enough to push me to upgrade, and the thought of actually losing PCIe lanes compared to my already middle-of-the-road P45 seems stupid.

I got an i7 1366 upgrade for christmas, so I'm skipping due to timing of the purchases, I will be seriously looking at S2011 though.

I'm running the rig in my sig and see no need to upgrade anytime soon. I know the EE processor can hit 4Ghz+ and I'll eventually get it there so overclocking is not a factor at this moment.

Here is my current computer specs. I have been using this cpu & mobo with a few upgrades for the past 7 years. I have missed out on some really nice pc games. I can only play non high end games like CSS, DODS, TF2, and L4D, etc. So yes, I'm definitely going for the SB i5 2500k.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT 800FSB
Motherboard: Intel D865PERL
BIOS: 02-13-05 22:02:08 ver. 08.00.10
CD/DVD Drives: 8x DVD
Memory RAMs: OCZ 400512ph 4x 512mb latency 2.5-3-3-7 premier series pci 3200 dual channel DDR (added more RAMS)
Video Card: ATi Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 575MHz 8X/4X 512mb 256bit 8-channel GDDR3- 1.38 GHz Shader Model 3.0 (Upgraded)
Power supply: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (Upgraded)
Hard drive: 120gb IDE ATA100
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI 24bit 96KHz SNR: 100dB (Upgraded)
Logitech speakers and Sennheiser head phones
Logitech laser mouse and wired keyboard
Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1

Here is my current computer specs. I have been using this cpu & mobo with a few upgrades for the past 7 years. I have missed out on some really nice pc games. I can only play non high end games like CSS, DODS, TF2, and L4D, etc. So yes, I'm definitely going for the SB i5 2500k.

You know, in a way I kind of envy you. The satisfaction and wow factor that you'll get when you do upgrade will be like nothing most people on this board will experience :)

If you can afford, definitely think about getting at least a 1920x1080 res monitor, it'll make it that much better.

At some point I have to jump in the pool here. So I'm not waiting for S2011.

LGA 775, will be upgrading. Massive improvements. :D

I upgrade every other architecture (~every 3-4 years). I think anyone sidegrading to 1055 from 1366 should seriously reconsider (unless you're wealthy). You bought an enthusiast processor and are going to trade it for a mainstream processor, and the differences are at most 600Mhz from proper overclocks of each. More importantly, if you're willing to jump CPU and motherboard in such short time, what will you do for LGA 2011 or Ivy Bridge in 10-14 months? Those are the real enthusiast successors to 1366. Can't help but think these benchmark numbers are trancing people and they're going to experience massive buyers remorse threefold: in their pockets; in comparable performance; in 10-14 months when 2011 and Ivy Bridge 6-cores that overclock above 6Ghz, on low-voltage triple-channel memory mobos possibly debuting PCIe 3.0--and quite realistically the next Nvidia and AMD GPU offerings will be PCIe 3.0.

I want to upgrade to a 2600k sooo bad. Got laid off so it is going to have to wait until I can land back on my feet.

Back