Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?


  • Total voters
    1,149

demingo

Trump is My President!
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,702
Zarathustra[H];1036658282 said:
I did something summer 2009 when I went from a Athlon 64 3000+ with 1gb ram and an AGP Geforce 6800GT to a core i7 rig :)

I think I remember when you built that rig...
 

BRISKbaby

n00b
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
22
Still on a Q6600, but I can't justify the upgrade at this point. Possibly after Bulldozer release and the SATA 6 SSDs are out.
 

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
33,393
I think I remember when you built that rig...

I know. It rekindled my computer hardware addiction big time.

Things I have learned since:

When living with your fiancée, Clicky Model M keyboards, late night computing and bedrooms don't mix.

I need a bigger house!
 

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
2,193
2500k for me, getting everything together from various sites. Now if only i could decide on a case.

The irony is that my parents need a new PC so i'm giving them my C2D which is still doing ok at 2.89 Ghz. Just making a few upgrade for them like an SSD (i use 2 in my own machine).

And we shall see if this SB will last me 4 years also, with minimal upgrades like a vid card, a few years from now. Oh the joy.
 

DualOwn

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
1,074
my next upgrade will be a six-core or eight core cpu.

why go from quad to quad, i know sb is faster but it just doesnt satisfy much.
 

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,150
I WANT to upgrade for the simple thrill of building a new system, but i certainly don't need to, as such, I'll be holding off on SB, for a while anyway. There may be an upgrade in my future sometime in 2012. I also get much more enjoyment from an upgrade when it consists of an entirely new build and not just upgrading a component or two. As long as my games can maintain ~45fps at my native resolution, i'll be content enough with this box. When it starts to struggle to do that, and upgrade will not be far behind.
 
Last edited:

popowrx

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
117
2500k for me from an AMD Phenom 9600. I've tried to stretch 2 years on this processor and it has been hard. Hoping the 2500k can last me 4 years as well with system upgrades in between.
 

Dizon248

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
132
On an E6600 @ 3.3ghz, waiting on socket 2011. Built this guy in summer of 2006. I know I got my money's worth from this processor.
 

Dev1ant

Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
646
Well, I've upgraded to SB to tide me over. But I'll still need two more builds this year (2011 is the likely socket). I'll be retiring my Q8400 -> fileserver/HTPC duty and give away the other two systems to other family members and friends who need it.
 

RadXge

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,849
I am holding out for socket 2011. I am actually running at 4GHZ which is more than enough for now...
 

davidtran007

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
1,310
Will C2Q still hold a good resale value once Ivy Bridge comes out? Or would it be best to get Sandy Bridge now and sell off my C2Q parts.
 

McDork

Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
557
I upgraded from a 939 AMD platform to an I7 920 last year, and I'm really satisified with it. I'll wait for the next revolution.
 

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 18, 2005
Messages
16,136
I WANT to upgrade for the simple thrill of building a new system, but i certainly don't need to, as such, I'll be holding off on SB, or a while anyway. There may be an upgrade in my future sometime in 2012. I also get much more enjoyment from an upgrade when it consists of an entirly new build and not just uprading a component or two. As long as my games can maintain ~45fps at my native resolution, i'll be content enough with this box. When it starts to struggle to do that, and upgrade will not be far behind.

I hear you. I may at some point sell the 4890s and get a single mid to high end card like a 5870/6870/6950 or their equivalent Geforce versions if the prices come down, but apart from that I don't see any upgrades for at least the next year. I may pick up a SSD at some point.
 

TheTree

n00b
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
31
Definitely skipping. I'm pretty happy with what I have right now.

While the improvements look really nice, it would be the smart thing if I wait till at least LGA2011.
Even then... I might not upgrade depending how well my 950 holds up.
 

Atl530i

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
4,170
Happy with my current setup. Going to wait until SKT2011 comes out. Seems logical to me.
 

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,574
I *might* have considered upgrading if I wasn't forced to buy a new mobo every time a new CPU is released. Then again, my i7 920 is a champ. It's very powerful, and I've taken it to 4GHz before. It's never had a challenge that it can't handle! My next upgrade will be my GTX 285, but even that is holding up well. I don't think it will last until the next generation of video cards, but I don't foresee an upgrade very soon. Why fix something that ain't broke? ;)
 

jhatfie

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
1,563
I am considering the upgrade, but I am mostly holding out to see how AMD's Bulldozer performs then I'll see what I want to do. I am in no hurry with my i5-750 @ 4Ghz.
 

Michael Scarn

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
117
Just upgraded to a i7-950 from a Q6600, not intention on upgrading for at least 1 year, hopefully 2 years or more though.
 

han022

n00b
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
15
I was tempted to upgrade because Sandy Bridge clearly is such a great chip, but on second thought I realize that when gaming on 1920x1200, the gain in speed is very small compared to my Core I7. Sandy Bridge draws less power though, but OTH my graphics cards are very power hungry, so my system would still need a lot of power.
Another SSD-drive or a SLI-setup would give me more real world computing power.
 

mofo2136

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
73
Waiting for my c2d to die so I have an excuse to upgrade. Though I may wait to kill it for LGA2011, whenever that is...
 

Iching

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
1,874
I was going to get SB but I found Asus Maximus III Formula for $150 and i5-760 for $185 minus $70 in coupons...
 

CompuG##K

Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
586
I'm running a Q9650 at 3.8ghz and a single GTX 480 right now and for the most part it handles everything I throw at it. I'm most likely going to stick with this setup until 2011 comes out and then get 2x of whatever refresh to the GTX 580 that will hopefully be out by then.
 

Ruiner

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2000
Messages
3,071
The current asking prices of used q9550s are about the same as that of a new 2500k (at MC price anyway). Hard to do that, coming from a c2d, as painfully easy as the drop-in would be.
DDR3 is dirt cheap now too. The wild card will be the mobo.
 

hmz

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
3,217
Uh, boy, my old revolutionary E6600 will be missed, but I have to let it go.. It lasted me almost 5 years and most of the games still run fine.. What else can you ask for from the Conroe? :)
 

brn80

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
187
The current asking prices of used q9550s are about the same as that of a new 2500k (at MC price anyway). Hard to do that, coming from a c2d, as painfully easy as the drop-in would be.
DDR3 is dirt cheap now too. The wild card will be the mobo.

Was pretty much my dilemma at this point as well. Yes, something like a Q9x50 would rock but even now the prices are ridiculous compared to a new setup with SB. Currently on a 65nm E6400 @ 3.0Ghz and it's *mostly* fine for what I need, but it shows it's age in some applications. Seems the current SB line-up would do well (upgrade) for C2D dual core owners (esp. older 65nm tech). Anyone higher, esp. i7 setups would most likely be a side-grade than anything.

I was either thinking of getting a used Q6600 as a hold-me-over till we saw some more bull-dozer action (that sounds like a really bad pr0n move) but I worry that demand may drive some of the introductory prices for SB up in the coming months.
 

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
6,625
no option for me.

Im currently on a Pentium 4 Presscott and im skipping for Ivy Bridge socket 2011.
 

stockwiz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
330
funny the people who couldn't wait the extra month and just had to upgrade in November or December.
 

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Joined
Sep 29, 2001
Messages
19,030
I just upgraded to an i7 870 2-3 months ago so I am skipping it.
My upgrade was pretty much free and due to timing. Client needed a machine fixed asap and used my parts to fix/upgrade theirs and used my labor cost to offset the i7 upgrade.
 

Biskquik

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
448
My Q6600 is holding up rather well and still has a bit to go on its OC. I'm planning on waiting until die shrink "Tick" processors before I consider upgrading. It also gives AMD time to release desktop bulldozers so I can compare prior to upgrading. Only upgrade I might do this year is add a SSD.
 

slvr

n00b
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
13
My Q6600 is holding up rather well and still has a bit to go on its OC. I'm planning on waiting until die shrink "Tick" processors before I consider upgrading. It also gives AMD time to release desktop bulldozers so I can compare prior to upgrading. Only upgrade I might do this year is add a SSD.

Yeah, I'm holding on to my P8400 laptop, but I'll probably buy a new 24nm SSD when they're out. 22nm ivy bridge feels like the limit of what's possible in terms of die shrinks, so that will be a good time to upgrade IMO.
 

ohvrolla

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
80
With a i7 950 at 4.3ghz it just isn't worth it to me right now. Now adding another HD6870 is a possibility, but I'm not struggling now and very likely could skip crossfire and wait for the next generation of cards.
 

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,150
My Q6600 is holding up rather well and still has a bit to go on its OC. I'm planning on waiting until die shrink "Tick" processors before I consider upgrading. It also gives AMD time to release desktop bulldozers so I can compare prior to upgrading. Only upgrade I might do this year is add a SSD.

I'd say definitely do the SSD upgrade. I've got one desktop and one laptop with a SSD and several other computers without and I never even turn those on anymore.
 

Fire488

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
438
I am going to upgrade for sure and in just about every aspect of my current rig's specs.
I plan on going to quad SLI (GTX 580's), three monitors(not sure which yet), REVO2 drive for games and boot (240gb), 2 tb RAID 1+0 setup for back up and everything else. Just waiting for Sandy Bridge and I'm all over it.
 

Redshirt #24

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
3,461
Tempted, but I'm skipping this go-round. Or at least planning to...I might well lose my mind and get a 2700K or whatever down the line, let alone Ivy Bridge, but right now I'm actually happy with my i7/950.
 
Top