Are you skipping 2500K/2600K?

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by bezant, Jan 4, 2011.

Are you skipping 2500/2600K?

  1. Currently on i7 and skipping

  2. Currently on i7 and upgrading

  3. Currently on i5 and skipping

  4. Currently on i5 and upgrading

  5. Currently on C2Q and skipping

  6. Currently on C2Q and upgrading

  7. Currently on C2D and skipping

  8. Currently on C2D and upgrading

  9. Currently on AMD cpu and skipping

  10. Currently on AMD cpu and upgrading

  1. nissanztt90

    nissanztt90 2[H]4U

    Apr 13, 2007
    This is my mindset as well. I have a Q9650 at 4.2 which does everything fine but i still want to get a 2600k. Drivin me nuts.
  2. Doc Doc

    Doc Doc n00b

    Dec 1, 2008
    C2D 6850 and Nvidia 260 - time for upgrade cycle and handing the old system down.

    I think I built it mid-2007.
  3. Actuary

    Actuary 2[H]4U

    Feb 8, 2005
    C2D e6400 and upgrading, probably to the 2500K.
  4. jorojr

    jorojr Limp Gawd

    Jan 19, 2005
    My core I7 860 and Core I5 750 currently serve my needs. For the entry price of ~$400-$500 (CPU + Mobo) I may be tempted to upgrade my secondary PC now and my primary PC when Socket 2011 comes out.
  5. PaHick

    PaHick Gawd

    Jul 2, 2005
    on 9450 and im skipping
  6. YELL

    YELL [H]Lite

    Dec 11, 2009
    If I win the Mega-Million tonight I will upgrade to a 2600K and if not I will stick with my C2Q. :)
  7. RadioActiveLobster

    RadioActiveLobster Gawd

    Mar 20, 2010
    I currently have a i7 950, plan on skipping SB for now (assuming nothing bad happens)
  8. King Icewind

    King Icewind [H]ardness Supreme

    Jan 17, 2008
    I might be, but only the motherboard and processor.

    My EVGA x58 SLI LE only works with 4 gigs (2x2) right now, otherwise it won't get past POSTing.

    I also hoping for more room on the board so I can use a single slot card, so I can better accommodate my fourth monitor. No room for another card, and I have to switch out of crossfire in order to use the monitor.

    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  9. Forceman

    Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

    Aug 7, 2005
    Me too, first time I've ever sat out an entire architecture/socket - I'm moving to SB just so I can keep calling myself an enthusiast.
  10. oscrogo

    oscrogo Limp Gawd

    Nov 3, 2007
    I'm upgrading. I'd say I got my money's worth owning a q6600 for over 4 years now.

    Right now, I can't see why you wouldn't upgrade the Core2's to the new 2500/2600k's (outside of finances or needing skt 2011 power)....the performance clock for clock is night and day, you could possibly get an overclock of 1.4ghz more than you could with a Core2, and the price (2600k) is pretty much the same as a q6600 back in December of '06.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. causticspill

    causticspill Limp Gawd

    Mar 28, 2010
    I was planning on upgrading sometime this year but my budget said otherwise. So as a stopgap I picked up the Q9300 at Micro Center last month. Instead of moving into 2011 tech, I went from 2006 to 2008.

    Unfortunately I will be skipping SB. Oh well...
  12. notarat

    notarat [H]ard|Gawd

    Mar 28, 2010
    While the performance of the K's are impressive, I believe I may wait until the high end boards and procs are released.

    I wish I were more certain, but that Asus P867(?) EVO board is looking mighty tasty...
  13. MrCrispy

    MrCrispy 2[H]4U

    May 14, 2007
    The Q6600 is still a monster cpu for non-gamers. I don't think I've ever has a cpu which was so versatile. I added an SSD last year and that's made a much bigger difference than a cpu upgrade could have.

    All that being said, the upgrade itch is strong :D
  14. Zarathustra[H]

    Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

    Oct 29, 2000
    I'm torn on this one.

    I have a core i7-920, which is currently running at stock speeds due to it being in a small form factor shuttle case with inadequate cooling for a real overclock.

    I really want to get more CPU performance and SLI, but my current case won't allow for this, and the motherboard is a custom board designed for this case, and as such can not be transferred to another case.

    So I am either stuck at stock speeds with one video card, or I get a new case, and a new motherboard if I want to overclock, and do an SLI setup.

    If I am going to buy a new motherboard today, it makes little sense - I think - to get another X58 board when I could get a sandy bridge board, and hit almost 5ghz on air... But then I'd also need a new CPU and then I'd be itching for an upgrade to LGA2011 when it comes out in less than a year...

    While it looks cool, and is a space saver, I'm starting to wish I never got a Shuttle SFF case...

  15. ucsb_otaku

    ucsb_otaku [H]ard|Gawd

    Sep 23, 2000
    I decided to wait for the 22nm revision, since on single threaded programs, 2600k stock volt OC is only ~40-50% faster than a i3 530 @ 4ghz, but blows it away on multi-threaded apps. By the time 22nm comes out, many mainstream SSD drives will maxing out the SATA 6gb bus while being reasonably priced, making it extremely enticing to upgrade all in 1 step.
  16. bandit390

    bandit390 [H]ard|Gawd

    Dec 27, 2004
    Have i7 920 @ 3.8. I'll upgrade when the 6/8 core versions come out.
  17. Lomic

    Lomic Limp Gawd

    Jul 27, 2004
    I'm on a QX6600 (engineering sample!) on a 680i motherboard... it's definitely time for an upgrade; the motherboard is 4 years old and while it still works, it just makes me feel dirty to have such an aged system. I was waiting for Sandy just because the first gen core-i CPUs were already so far into their life cycle by the time I felt an upgrade was worth it.

    The real tipping point was recently buying a 120GB Intel SSD which my motherboard just barely gets along with. I can't wait to see this drive at full throttle.

    It also doesn't help that this poor 65nm CPU edges up to 75c in Core 0 at stock voltage with no OC.
  18. rive22

    rive22 [H]ardness Supreme

    Mar 10, 2004
    lol @ these words being in the same sentence.
  19. Shakezilla

    Shakezilla [H]ard|Gawd

    Aug 15, 2004
    Looking at my aging rig I am going to be upgrading once Bulldozer hits.

    I will most likely buy what ever is fastest and most cores at the price point of ~$300 for mobo and cpu, which could just be the 2500k.

    I have not really played much games on the computer because I have not been able to run anything new for a while. Not sure if i will ever get back into PC gaming, but I need a new computer just to speed general web usage and encoding. Throw in a $150 video card and I should be able to play anything i want.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  20. MrCrispy

    MrCrispy 2[H]4U

    May 14, 2007
    If Intel hadn't crippled SB's release (P67 doesn't support onchip gpu, K don't support VT-d) this would be a simpler decision. If Bulldozer is out early this year, it will be a much cheaper upgrade.
  21. Mr. Bluntman

    Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

    Jun 25, 2007
    My CPU seems to have lots of headroom. With a better board, PSU, and cooling I'm fairly confident I'll have little effort hitting 3.8 or 4GHz if the need should arise. Default VID is 1.1875v, E0 if anyone is curious...

    I will most likely end up waiting to see if Bulldozer really measures up and moves mountains (unlikely from what I gather) or just ends up being a Tonka toy pushing sand in face of Intel's lineup at the time of release and go from there.
  22. DrDoU

    DrDoU 2[H]4U

    Jun 4, 2007
    Have a 6 core AMD processor that should last me till I complete last year of school,so I am out this go round.

    I lied.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  23. heelix

    heelix [H]ard|Gawd

    Aug 2, 2004
    Skipping the CPU updates on most of my boxes for now. Will probably update video cards in the next few months, however.
  24. gesicht

    gesicht Gawd

    Jun 25, 2004
    q6600 @ 3.2 on a p35 mobo looking forward 2500k build.
  25. ilkhan

    ilkhan No Title for You!

    Sep 23, 2002
    Q8200(@2.8) -> 2500K(@lol)
  26. pojut

    pojut Gawd

    Dec 28, 2009
    Not sure...I have an Athlon II X4 635 OC'd to 3.3 GHz. I know that upgrading would be a big step up, but I'd also have to get a new mobo and ram.

    Considering my rapidly aging 4850, I think I'd be better served upgrading the video card.
  27. magoo

    magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

    Oct 21, 2004
    I am going to wait until the "enthusiast" grade chips are relaesed at the end of this year.

    My X58 is plenty fast, and could go faster.

    Now that Corsair makes those 4GB Vengence sticks, if anything I'll just add some more RAM to the mix.......12>6:eek::eek:
  28. MisterClean

    MisterClean 2[H]4U

    Jun 9, 2010
    My q6600 started showing it's age when I bought two gtx470s. I am anxiously awaiting the i7-2600k. LET ME BUY THE DAMN THING ALREADY lol
  29. scaarbelly

    scaarbelly [H]ardness Supreme

    Dec 11, 2008
    Waiting to see what the 2011 brings. The i7 920 still kicks ass, it isn't the fastest anymore but it still handles all I can throw at it.
  30. Speedo68

    Speedo68 Limp Gawd

    Sep 1, 2004
    Replacing i5 - 760, i7 - 860, 1190T. I was not very impressed with the latest offerings from AMD. Same die, just up the multiplier for a year now? And 6-cores doesn't do squat for my needs. Wish I hadn't bought that 1190T, but that another thread...

    Keeping i7 - 875 time 2, i7 - 975x, i7 -980x time 2. Waiting for Ivy Bridge and see what happens later this year.

    I hope Bulldozer brings something new from AMD. It's been a very dissappointing 2 + years from AMD now.

    Looking forward to at least 3 new 2600k systems. Just need MB's and CPUs, then good to go...
  31. JamesL

    JamesL Gawd

    Nov 7, 2007
    I might just try and see if I can pick up a rampage formula(x48) or maximus formula(x38) + a g3 SSD and see if I can resist the urge for a big upgrade for another year..
  32. ritchan

    ritchan [H]Lite

    Nov 29, 2010
    I think I will be very satisfied with my Phenom II X6 (replaces my Athlon XP 2500+) for years to come. Most of its perceived speed comes from the Vertex 2E - and I think that's the most important part. Any CPU intensive app I run is multithreaded anyway, so my X6 can still hold its own against a Core i7 2500 for the tasks I ask of it.

    Therefore any further upgrades I'll get should focus only on the I/O system, perhaps a tiered approach: RAMdisk, PCIe SSD, SATA 6.0Gbps SSD, Velociraptor, 2TB drives. I'll never run Windows from a hard drive again, so I don't see the point of booting off 3TB drives.

    Even if I am satisfied with my Phenom, I still plan to upgrade to Bulldozer incrementally by first buying a AM3+ motherboard, and then some months later the CPU itself and the other necessary parts. Maybe I'm just compensating for the fact that I haven't owned a fast enough computer in years... so I want 2 :D
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  33. silent-circuit

    silent-circuit [H]ardForum Junkie

    Sep 18, 2005
    Core2Quad, skipping.

    I may end up with an Ivy Bridge chip, or who knows, some Bulldozer variant, but Sandy Bridge as it stands isn't enough to push me to upgrade, and the thought of actually losing PCIe lanes compared to my already middle-of-the-road P45 seems stupid.
  34. 0ptional

    0ptional Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter

    Feb 22, 2003
    I got an i7 1366 upgrade for christmas, so I'm skipping due to timing of the purchases, I will be seriously looking at S2011 though.
  35. AceGoober

    AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

    Jun 25, 2003
    I'm running the rig in my sig and see no need to upgrade anytime soon. I know the EE processor can hit 4Ghz+ and I'll eventually get it there so overclocking is not a factor at this moment.
  36. Finisher

    Finisher [H]Lite

    Jan 1, 2011
    Here is my current computer specs. I have been using this cpu & mobo with a few upgrades for the past 7 years. I have missed out on some really nice pc games. I can only play non high end games like CSS, DODS, TF2, and L4D, etc. So yes, I'm definitely going for the SB i5 2500k.

    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT 800FSB
    Motherboard: Intel D865PERL
    BIOS: 02-13-05 22:02:08 ver. 08.00.10
    CD/DVD Drives: 8x DVD
    Memory RAMs: OCZ 400512ph 4x 512mb latency 2.5-3-3-7 premier series pci 3200 dual channel DDR (added more RAMS)
    Video Card: ATi Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 575MHz 8X/4X 512mb 256bit 8-channel GDDR3- 1.38 GHz Shader Model 3.0 (Upgraded)
    Power supply: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (Upgraded)
    Hard drive: 120gb IDE ATA100
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI 24bit 96KHz SNR: 100dB (Upgraded)
    Logitech speakers and Sennheiser head phones
    Logitech laser mouse and wired keyboard
    Monitor: SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1
  37. oscrogo

    oscrogo Limp Gawd

    Nov 3, 2007
    You know, in a way I kind of envy you. The satisfaction and wow factor that you'll get when you do upgrade will be like nothing most people on this board will experience :)

    If you can afford, definitely think about getting at least a 1920x1080 res monitor, it'll make it that much better.
  38. K10

    K10 2[H]4U

    Mar 28, 2005
    i'm sure there are going to be mobo issues and what not in the i'll just wait for the early adopters to iron out all the problems and then decide.
  39. polive

    polive [H]ard|Gawd

    Sep 28, 2005
    At some point I have to jump in the pool here. So I'm not waiting for S2011.
  40. loki7

    loki7 Limp Gawd

    Jul 16, 2008
    LGA 775, will be upgrading. Massive improvements. :D

    I upgrade every other architecture (~every 3-4 years). I think anyone sidegrading to 1055 from 1366 should seriously reconsider (unless you're wealthy). You bought an enthusiast processor and are going to trade it for a mainstream processor, and the differences are at most 600Mhz from proper overclocks of each. More importantly, if you're willing to jump CPU and motherboard in such short time, what will you do for LGA 2011 or Ivy Bridge in 10-14 months? Those are the real enthusiast successors to 1366. Can't help but think these benchmark numbers are trancing people and they're going to experience massive buyers remorse threefold: in their pockets; in comparable performance; in 10-14 months when 2011 and Ivy Bridge 6-cores that overclock above 6Ghz, on low-voltage triple-channel memory mobos possibly debuting PCIe 3.0--and quite realistically the next Nvidia and AMD GPU offerings will be PCIe 3.0.