Are you happy with your Pascal investment?

doughead

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to know how many of you guys who upgraded to Pascal are happy with your investment/upgrade. I upgraded from GTX780 SLI to GTX1080 SLI and although I am very happy but I'm also "less than awed" of the boost in performance. That is not a criticism mind you, the reason I say that is because while I upgraded the GPUs, I also did the same for my display - I went from a 24" @ 1920x1200 to a 34" Ultrawide a@ 3440x1440, so the boost in performance by the new GPUs are somewhat negated (although not completely) by the need for more juice to drive a bigger and much higher resolution display. I even thought of going down to 2,560x1440 to see more performance boost but its hard going back to a smaller screen after being used to, and thoroughly enjoying, an Ultrawide 21:9. Looks like the jump from 28nm to 14nm yielded more discernable returns. How was your satisfaction with your Pascal purchase/upgrade?

I must say that the best returns I ever got from my Pascal upgrade is the games. It is truly fulfilling when you have so many great games to make your investment worthwhile - Battlefield 1, Doom, Titanfall 2, Gears of War 4, COD-IW/MW-R, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow Warrior 2 (yes even this humble gem!) etc, not to mention that we have so many cool games on the horizon too.

I went from a GTX 970 > GTX 750 Ti (due to needing cash and I had a 750 ti lying around), then to a GTX 1070. So for me the boost is HUGE. I am happy, though being an EVGA unit with the recent 'issue' I'm perhaps a little off-put? No complaints performance wise though. I'm at 2560x1440.

I'm very happy with mine (see sig). I got them before the Titan was announced. The jump in performance was immense coming from a GTX 690. That 2 GB of RAM was really limiting me badly in some games. 8 GB is roomy. Yeah, they were too much money and SLI may or may not be the best in the future, but eh you only live once and I had great luck with the 690 for SLI in games. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just get a single Titan.

Yes I didn't expect the Titan to be so much faster than a 1080, but the price of a Titan is truly prohibitive at my side of the pond, although I'm certainly not saying the 1080 is cheap. I've been doing SLI (or dual-core GPU) since the 2000s and when there is SLI support the returns are truly mind-blowing. So I was disappointed when AAA titles like Doom, Titanfall2 and GOW4 didn't have SLI support out of the box. I'm just glad that Pascal offered a next-gen boost in performance at a time when I was also looking for an upgrade to a much bigger display.

Been great for me so far. Went from SLI Titan X to SLI Titan X, and in some games (overclocked to ~1950MHz/11GHz), a single card alone is nearly as fast as my previous cards were together at 1350MHz. I play at UHD though so every bit of extra performance was very much welcome, especially for the few odd games were SLI just doesn't work well/at all even after profile edits.

The problem with SLI is its only a positive experience if there is good SLI support and that support is vanishing. On this side of the pond, SLI 1080 is the same price as a Titan.

I'm happy with my GTX 1060 since prior to that my previous system consisted of an HD6950, so my gaming regarding current titles was very limited.

Not too much. The improvement is not as great as I had hoped. 1080 with high AA can still bring this GPU to its knees. In general most games get 60 frame rates, but moving up to 1440 and you're going to need at 1080. More than likely a "1080ti" or "Titan" level card. At $400, I think it is $100 too much. Overclocking was not a massive boost either, then again, I did not up my voltage and push it further.

Very happy so far! Came from AMD camp (5770, 6950, 290) and couldnt be happier. What did it for me mainly was deal I got ($342) on a 1070.(O/C gets me close to 1080 performance) I dont game nearly as much as I use to so getting a great card at a good price was sweet.

There is a bright side to SLI.. all my previous CODs and BF games + the 3 Crysis games all supported SLI out of the box. Which was why I was puzzled to find COD-IW not supporting SLI at launch.

It's sad that AMD (ATI) has gone underdog status (except for some of their self-redeeming mid/budget GPUs) .. tragic even, when you consider not only were they trailing behind Nvidia in GPUs but also fell behind (very far behind!) Intel when it comes to CPUs too. So we're seeing really crazy Nvidia GPU prices now. No competition is bad news for us consumers!

I am not happy. Primarily because of the looming 1080 Ti but I knew this going in and upgrading from 980 Ti SLi to 1080 SLi. However, the upgrade cost me about 630 bucks all in so can't complain lol.

Pretty happy. My 1080 is the first card I've owned in a while that plays all games at my preferred resolution 1440p with highest settings.

That said, I'm pretty salty about the many ways nV is capitalizing on the lack of competition e.g. fairy-tale MSRP, Flounders Edition, cut-down chips to release later. I remember a time when the top-end card you were buying on release was the top-end, un-gimped chip, and so does Pepperidge Farms.

Yes. I'm averaging a 60% improvement in framerates coming from my GTX Titan X. We haven't seen that kind of improvement in a long time after being on 28nm for so long.

YES!! Plus, the latest triple A titles have supported SLI out of the box. My SLI 1080's have been shredding everything at cool temps. Love them!

Well I came from a GTX 680 to a GTX 1080 and it's been awesome. I also went from 1080p 60Hz to 1440p 144Hz and the GTX 1080 runs all my games great at 1440p max settings.

Went from a 980 Ti to a Titan X Pascal on water.

Yes, overall, it's significantly faster in every way.

I'm totally happy with my 1080. I can just enable vsync, set all the settings to the maximums, and at least at 1080P, the GPU can easily stay above the refresh rate. Furthermore, it uses half the power and dissipates half the heat of the 290X it replaced.

I wish it didn't have to cost so much, but compare its price tag to the best equipment on the market for any of my other hobbies, and it suddenly looks like the deal of the century.

Yes I am, no regrets getting my GTX 1080
Of course, coming from GTX 970, I went from barely playable frame rate to smooth frame rates in games like Witcher 3 with max quality. I would certainly recommend the upgrade to anyone who's currently using GTX 970/980, the difference is worth it.

I shift around a lot of hardware but I picked up a single 1080 then 1080 in SLI at 1600p stupid overkill. So I sold one and purchased a hybrid cooler for the other very satisfied with just one even at 1600p. My SFF now has a Zotac 1070 AMP and that's more than plenty for 1080p, occasionally I will use my SFF with the 1600p display and still runs pretty darn good so these cards have been very pleasing.

Maxwell Titan to 1080FE, small perf gain, less heat pouring into my upstairs room. Ditched the sporadic stability issues that 970 / 980 / Titan M exhibited. Happiness so far.

Last edited:
Recently jumped to a 1080 and am very pleased with the performance. I think this is a card that can last a long time for me.

Absolutely. 980Ti SLI to Pascal Titan. And a g-sync monitor. Easier on my PSU as well.

...I remember a time when the top-end card you were buying on release was the top-end, un-gimped chip, and so does Pepperidge Farms.

Yes, many years ago X80 denotes the flagship but now an X80 is a gimped version of the true flagship (Titan/Ti). If they already know the maximum potential of what their new GPU chip is capable of, why not push it as the flagship X80 out the door first (like they used to do) then follow up by releasing the mid and entry-level models? They can charge Titan/Ti class prices for the X80 as their true flagship and just do away with the Titan/To but make a dual-core model (SLI in one GPU) as the ultimate model.

Sort of, went from a single GTX 980Ti to GTX 1080's in SLI was a huge improvement, most games I played supported SLI.

Yup! Went from a R9 390 to a GTX 1070 FTW. Yes, an EVGA card and a positive experience. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Agreed with exlink. I have an eVGA FTW, and love it. Temps are great in my semi-well ventilated case. I did sign up for the thermal pad kit which i'll apply when it gets here.

I paid a bit on early adopter tax for my 1070, but I'm still very happy with it coming from a struggling 7950 and I got a five-year warranty.

So on my sig machine I went from 3x 980s to 2x 1080s. To be honest, it wasn't a huge jump. In benchmark apps and games that support SLI well, it was about even. However, for non-SLI compatible games, there seems to be a nice boost.

Also, I'm running Surround on that machine, and I believe 2 cards with the new HB bridge fare better. For example, certain games had stutter before that are now fully smooth.

On my second machine, I went from a GTX 970 to Titan XP and it was a MONSTER upgrade. Literally like 3x or more improvement in almost everything. So I'm pretty happy there.

Last edited:
Very happy.

Went from a 980 to a 1080. The 980 was mainly used for 1080p gaming but I upgraded to a 1440p monitor a while back. Once I moved up to 1440p the 980 just wasn't cutting it and the 1080 will run everything I throw at it no problem.

I´m very happy and only sad I didn´t do the upgrade before from 980 to 1080. Bought it only for VR sake, since the Sapphire Fury-x and the MSI 980 I had are both quiet cards and capable of playing the newest games on a monitor.

However, AMD sucks in VR at the moment and the 1080 was a huge jump from the 980 in VR. With the 1080 I can play VR games smoother and sharper (gave me a decent amount of SS headroom).

I´m very happy and only sad I didn´t do the upgrade before from 980 to 1080. Bought it only for VR sake, since the Sapphire Fury-x and the MSI 980 I had are both quiet cards and capable of playing the newest games on a monitor.

However, AMD sucks in VR at the moment and the 1080 was a huge jump from the 980 in VR. With the 1080 I can play VR games smoother and sharper (gave me a decent amount of SS headroom).

Lies! AMD is a premium VR experience!!

/s

Back