Are you guys using VPN's?

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
Use one? I can see how it would help keep prying eyes off you but at the same time the VPN will own you and your info.

Do you guys use one for home use?

I don't use it for what you are implying. I use one to go from my parents house to my house. I backup their PC to my NAS and use RDP to remotely connect to their desktop and fix stuff.

I have a road warrior setup with my sister so i can back up her PC as well to the NAS.

I have a VPN service I use when I use non-secure networks, like public wifi locations. The one I use is encrypting all my traffic till I hit the endpoint out of their network.

I have been also looking into being able to VPN back to my house so I can control everything up to my endpoint instead.

That's cool. Some people are so adament on using one so I just wanted to see what the tech guys are doing.

I use vyprvpn on my laptop and my phone when I am out and about. Don't use one on my home PC due to extra latency and reduced bandwidth it incurs.

I trialed a few. Most have some sort of free period - so I chose the one that doesn't keep logs and had the best speed.
In the end windscribe was best for me...

I use a personal VPN to my home through my pfsense router when I'm on a work or public wifi.

I was considering a VPN this weekend because I could add one pretty cheap. I want to install a personal plex server, and then turn this pc into a NAS over the summer. However, I don't think I need VPN level privacy for a simple media server, so I'm thinking of sticking with HTTPS instead. I already have my documents synced on my devices through google drive (which is faster than remote editing with teamviewer). The only situation I can think of where a vpn would be necessary is if I wanted to store remote backups on the NAS or corporate VPN use. I only have cellphone data at work, so I don't need to hide my traffic from snooping employers either.

A very easy to setup and great service is Private Internet Access (PIA). It's quite popular, and the type of usage it is great for is public wifi like hotels, etc.

PIA pricing is very fair.

I use OpenVPN on the pfsense router to connect to my home. Also have PIA. For backing up and syncing data of my servers in different locations, I use syncthing.

I have used ProXPN VPN for a few months now and have been very happy with it. I came across a really good deal for a lifetime subscription for it and have used it ever since.

Back