Are you guys going to upgrade to a 6700k when its out?

Yes, p67 board is becoming buggy and I need pcie3.0. Hopefully I can overclock it past my sandy bridge.

This will be the first time I wanted to upgrade for the platform more than the actual CPU.

I don't think it is a good upgrade if you already own 3770k and 4770/4790k.

I will upgrade when 8 core CPU's becomes more affordable.

I simply can't justify it. 4790k does everything I want it to do, plus DDR4 costs and performance level it's just not worth it yet.. DDR3 2600 it's still pretty good, and way cheaper..

I don't think it is a good upgrade if you already own 3770k and 4770/4790k.

I will upgrade when 8 core CPU's becomes more affordable.

I think Skylake is going to be a more appealing prospect for 2500/2600K users or even some people who are still running X58.

Yes, p67 board is becoming buggy and I need pcie3.0. Hopefully I can overclock it past my sandy bridge.

I don't know if the average user will see that or not. I think the clocks will ultimately end up being close but It is just too early to tell. Keep in mind that Skylake is now several generations newer than Sandy Bridge so your likely to see 30% or more of an IPC increase. So if your close are even within a 100MHz-200MHz of Sandy Bridge your getting a fairly significant upgrade. But more importantly the platform itself is vastly improved in some areas especially if your running an old P67 motherboard. Don't forget the potential power savings as well.

Last edited:
Upgrade? Nah, but I haven't had a desktop computer in 6 years, so I will build one :)

I'm upgrading from an x58. Can't wait, the x58 is going to become a media server

skywake-e sounds more appealing. with how slow cpu upgrades might as well just get a 6 or 8 (if they drop prices on it releasing a 10 core version for a grand)

I plan on the i5 skylake. My 2500k "only" hits 4.4 GHz.

My main reason for upgrading is that I want a good esxi machine for my home, and I plan on reusing the 2500k for that.

I think Skylake is going to be a more appealing prospect for 2500/2600K users or even some people who are still running X58.

I don't know if the average user will see that or not. I think the clocks will ultimately end up being close but It is just too early to tell. Keep in mind that Skylake is now several generations newer than Sandy Bridge so your likely to see 30% or more of an IPC increase. So if your close are even within a 100MHz-200MHz of Sandy Bridge your getting a fairly significant upgrade. But more importantly the platform itself is vastly improved in some areas especially if your running an old P67 motherboard. Don't forget the potential power savings as well.

2600K user here. I'm very much considering it lately. I'm not slow by any means. But, I am several generations behind. Plus, I can justify it as my son needs an upgrade. So, I upgrade mine, he gets my parts and we're good. :) I know I'll see a performance increase. Just nothing like the "good ol' days" where you did an upgrade and it was night/day difference and you could bump up all your settings to Ultra. But, it'll still be noticeable.

I am upgrading. I might be switching to a smaller case and I won't even use a dedicated GPU since I don't game much anymore on my PC. I just want the power savings since the 6700K will probably use less power than the GTX460 I am using as a placeholder GPU now since my P67 board doesn't have video out for the 2500K iGPU...

2600K user here. I'm very much considering it lately. I'm not slow by any means. But, I am several generations behind. Plus, I can justify it as my son needs an upgrade. So, I upgrade mine, he gets my parts and we're good. :) I know I'll see a performance increase. Just nothing like the "good ol' days" where you did an upgrade and it was night/day difference and you could bump up all your settings to Ultra. But, it'll still be noticeable.

Well at 1920x1080 to even 2560x1600/2560x1600 I think a single GPU can cope with almost anything on ultra settings or pretty close to it with any higher end CPU from the last 3 years or more. The only time where you really see changes on that front are when you start getting into triple monitor arrays totaling resolutions in excess of 5760x1080 or 7680x1600. At that point you need to have multiple GPUs and that's where you'll find the faster and more modern CPUs tend to cope better. That's partly because they'll have a faster overall platform, not just a faster CPU.

Based on some of the leaked information and what little we've seen I think there is good increase in IPC with Skylake over Sandy Bridge. Against the most recent 4790K or even the 3770K I wouldn't be so inclined to make an upgrade. Your platform does get a little better but there is a substantial cost of buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM just to get that 7-10% IPC improvement. I am surprised to hear about many of the readers in some of these threads who are still rocking the X58 platform and CPUs as old as the Core i7 920. Even though Z170 isn't a direct replacement for that I think anyone on a quad core CPU from that era would be getting a hell of a lot out of Skylake.

Granted there are only a handful of games that can really push a machine with a decent GPU, but that list is growing and over the course of the next couple of years I think things will get much worse for people on older platforms.

The USD is really causing problems for me. I had strong plans to consider both a new desktop build (from a 2500k) and mobile buy based around Skylake. However due to raising USD and falling CAD these purchases would effectively cost over 30% more than Haswell based purchases a year ago which makes really any computer/electronics purchases much less appealing from an expense and value perspective.

Due to that I've basically decided against a Skylake desktop build (unless it greatly comes in overexpectations, or the 2500k really becomes not "good enough") and will wait longer for -

- DDR4 capacity/speed rise, price drops (16GB DIMMs)
- PCIe. 4.0 (tail end of PCie 3.0 now)
- AMD Zen (mainly due to likely more cores for the $)
- possibly HEDT (Skylake-E) or more cores to mainstream (wishful thinking maybe :p)
- larger IGP gains on desktop

Still considering a mobile purchase though out of necessity (no current device) if Surface Pro 4 goes Skylake-Y (core M type profile) or similiar device.

Last edited:
cross the border and buy you MB+CPU bundle in the US. That's what i did for my z68+2500k.

The USD is really causing problems for me. I had strong plans to consider both a new desktop build (from a 2500k) and mobile buy based around Skylake. However due to raising USD and falling CAD these purchases would effectively cost over 30% more than Haswell based purchases a year ago which makes really any computer/electronics purchases much less appealing from an expense and value perspective.

Due to that I've basically decided against a Skylake desktop build (unless it greatly comes in overexpectations, or the 2500k really becomes not "good enough") and will wait longer for -

- DDR4 capacity/speed rise, price drops (16GB DIMMs)
- PCIe. 4.0 (tail end of PCie 3.0 now)
- AMD Zen (mainly due to likely more cores for the $)
- possibly HEDT (Skylake-E) or more cores to mainstream (wishful thinking maybe :p)
- larger IGP gains on desktop

Still considering a mobile purchase though out of necessity (no current device) if Surface Pro 4 goes Skylake-Y (core M type profile) or similiar device.

I know exactly what you mean as I'm in exactly the same boat. However, we can't expect the PetroLoonie to hold up to the surging USD when crude is at $47 so we have no choice but to suck it up and pay. As for the suggestion that you cross the border it makes no difference as you're still going to be converting CAD to USD so your savings will be close to nil.

Edited to give this example: 4790K at Newegg.ca is CAD419 and at Newegg.com is USD339. So it's actually cheaper in Canada in "real money."

Assuming the skylake chipsets will have HDMI 2.0 and 4kp60 + h265 hardware decoding; I'll be upgrading my HTPC's with the plans of eventually upgrading to a 4k AVR and TV. Most likely I'll wait for a new NUC, but I may jump earlier if Microcenter has good deals.

No need to upgrade my 4770k to skylake - I'll just throw in a 980ti at some point.

I know exactly what you mean as I'm in exactly the same boat. However, we can't expect the PetroLoonie to hold up to the surging USD when crude is at $47 so we have no choice but to suck it up and pay. As for the suggestion that you cross the border it makes no difference as you're still going to be converting CAD to USD so your savings will be close to nil.

Edited to give this example: 4790K at Newegg.ca is CAD419 and at Newegg.com is USD339. So it's actually cheaper in Canada in "real money."

It is admittingly a large psychological issue as the market situation is unlikely to change much in the short or mid-term.

But Skylake wasn't really going to be hitting all the upgrade requirements which is the other compounding problem. So the both have swung me into a wait mode as really speaking a 2500k is still "serviceable" and will be for the time being.

What will especially be interesting is if Zen does reach Sandybridge single-thread performance levels but comes in wider (for the cost vs Intel). With Sandybridge I feel (at least for me) I'm at that "good enough" single-thread performance level and the gains going forward for my workloads will be with going wider.

There is also the rumblings that US tech firms are aware of the FOREX issues affecting global demand (and earnings) and could be addressing those as well with their product stacks.

Another thing to wait for would be seeing what the actual real world implications of DX12 are in regards to offloading compute workloads to the IGP (along with future trends in other software). This could affect a CPU design as well.

cross the border and buy you MB+CPU bundle in the US. That's what i did for my z68+2500k.

Like mentioned above the issue is exchange rates. During the Sandybridge era CAD was actually above par against USD. We are now at 1.3 CAD->USD and it is trending further upwards as we move more towards Skylake's release.

So basically you're looking at 30% higher prices. If Skylake is only a 30% performance gain then basically there has been no performance/price improvements for Canadian buyers. If you compare to Haswell then performance/price will have actually gone significantly down.

Ive been living off of a 920 D0 for years and years now along with GPU upgrades. Its time for me to finally get current. A lack of sata 3, among various other mobo upgrades is a big factor as well. It will be nice to see the benefits of a cutting edge ssd.

I don't upgrade as often as I used to, but I think this will be worth it.

Ive been living off of a 920 D0 for years and years now along with GPU upgrades. Its time for me to finally get current. A lack of sata 3, among various other mobo upgrades is a big factor as well. It will be nice to see the benefits of a cutting edge ssd.

This is pretty much exactly where I am with my Phenom II system. Before the mortgage and the kids and whatnot my upgrades were much more frequent.

That said, this platform really does seem to be bring a lot of new stuff to the table, and I'm excited to upgrade.

It is admittingly a large psychological issue as the market situation is unlikely to change much in the short or mid-term.

But Skylake wasn't really going to be hitting all the upgrade requirements which is the other compounding problem. So the both have swung me into a wait mode as really speaking a 2500k is still "serviceable" and will be for the time being.

What will especially be interesting is if Zen does reach Sandybridge single-thread performance levels but comes in wider (for the cost vs Intel). With Sandybridge I feel (at least for me) I'm at that "good enough" single-thread performance level and the gains going forward for my workloads will be with going wider.

There is also the rumblings that US tech firms are aware of the FOREX issues affecting global demand (and earnings) and could be addressing those as well with their product stacks.

Another thing to wait for would be seeing what the actual real world implications of DX12 are in regards to offloading compute workloads to the IGP (along with future trends in other software). This could affect a CPU design as well.

Yes, I agree with you about the 2500K as my secondary is a 2600K and it still is completely effective at just about everything I do. If it wasn't that my octocore is going to the office and my wife is appropriating the 2600K I wouldn't be looking at Skylake. However, I either get a new system now or have to do my work on my phone (shudder) so I have to buy in the next week or so.

I am not trying to troll but after owning several AMD systems in their heyday and being very happy with them I now have nothing but derision for their CPUs. They fell so far behind Intel's high end offerings that right now I wouldn't give Zen a second look if they were going to MSRP it at $20. Personally I'm only interested in the highest performing CPUs at the time of purchase and it seems that AMD will only be back in that market if Microsoft buys them as well as GloFo and spends a few tens of billions of dollars on massive R&D investment in the pair. That seems extremely unlikely under their present administration (although I have no doubt that Ballmer who was arguably the worst CEO in human history would be stupid enough to do that). Therefore I'll let AMD fill up the low and mid range CPU offerings while I blissfully ignore their existence.

Again IMHO, the USD rally is short-lived as the fundamentals are simply not solid enough to warrant it. The US economy is not doing anywhere near as well as the FOREX would lead you to believe. Furthermore, now that the Greek can has been kicked forward and thanks to Yanis' Plan B it looks increasingly likely that there will be either a national unity government or even an EU-imposed caretaker one, the drag on the Euro from the hapless bozos in Athens will be diminished. (I think I should hack into my bank and erase all my debts to "protect my dignity"...) ;)

As for the PetroLoonie, abandon hope all ye who enter here until crude is back near three digits. I would love to take all the economists who claimed that the Loonie is not a PetroCurrency and slap them with a wad of bills which loses value by the day. :D

I lost all hope in Canada when Tims Hortons got sold to Burgerking. ATI, Blackberry bit the big one too...are whole economy is resource based. With that said I think the whole thing is coming down eventually anyway with a new currency, maybe Amero? or something else.

Anyway I don't know which way to go, a 6-core 5820 would be great for video editing and if I get into 3dmax but it is getting to be a couple generations behind or a new faster skylake cpu but with only 4 cores (will they be making 6-8 core skylake cpu's in the same socket?). i5-6600K will be about the same price as the 5820k....which route would you go?

Same boat here X58, i7-920

The time to upgrade is here.

Only question in my mind is will skylake be fast enough and will Z170 boards have PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 slots, or will I go X99 and Haswell-E.

Only question in my mind is will skylake be fast enough and will Z170 boards have PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 slots, or will I go X99 and Haswell-E.

Most higher-end Z170 leaked so far have at least one PCIe 3.0 x4 m.2 slot, some have several. This generation will be the first to have enough PCIe lanes (36 between CPU and chipset) to really support m.2 fully.

Running an i7 920 and really thinkinig about waiting still. 5% upgrades over the previous generation make me regret not getting a 4790 instead of wanting a 6700.

I'm seriously considering getting a Xeon X5660, but my MSI X58 Pro wouldn't be very happy about it.

Motherboard alone makes me want to upgrade in order to complete the silver theme. :D

Z461wAq.png

Last edited:

me to, X58 and an i7-950 - I want the upgrade for the extra mobo functionality and features (m.2 / USB3.1 / UEFI etc) more so then the CPU, its just a good time to jump in with a new CPU release. having said that.. i realy, REALLY want to go to the equivalent, Skylake-E, but i'm getting impatient, its been 4 years and with Intel's backwards release crap nowadays its god knows how long till they come out - or if they will at all! hmmm

"Leaked" benchmarks: http://diy.pconline.com.cn/675/6751941.html

If true, Skylake is a huge disappointment. And no I doubt this will overclock any good either.

I think what those benchmarks show is that skylake at 4.2ghz is only slightly faster than broadwell at 4.4ghz.

That fits right in with it being a 5-10% perf bump per clock since it's at a 5% clock speed deficit.

The real question is would intel actually walk the clock speed back 200mhz for their top end chip and how does it overclock?

Seriously thinking about 5820k on Aug 5 but might go for 6700. Wouldn't 5820k be better for DX12 due to it's cores?

I'm excited for Skylake and look forward to the reviews, both user and editorial alike, but I doubt I'll be upgrading. I have systems with a 3770k, 2600k and a 2500 non K but taking advantage of the 4 bin OCing limit, and none of them feel slow to me.

As to the whole Win 10 oem activation, this is nothing new. OEM activation has worked this way since Vista.

Seriously thinking about 5820k on Aug 5 but might go for 6700. Wouldn't 5820k be better for DX12 due to it's cores?

I've been thinking the same thing and was going to jump on a 5820k. Here are my thoughts on why you should not go with haswell-e. If you look at the site linked, you'll see that the 6700k beats the 5820k in gaming benches. So it comes down to what you use it for really. Also, remember that a 5820k is haswell-e, not broadwell-e, which hasn't been released yet. So you will be 2 gens back.

Also, it will be awhile before we see anything developed from the ground up using dx12. And when we do, it will be just a handful of games. It will take a couple years before we see its implementation widespread.

i.e. Far Cry 4
6751941_fry4_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking the same thing and was going to jump on a 5820k. Here are my thoughts on why you should not go with haswell-e. If you look at the site linked, you'll see that the 6700k beats the 5820k in gaming benches. So it comes down to what you use it for really. Also, remember that a 5820k is haswell-e, not broadwell-e, which hasn't been released yet. So you will be 2 gens back.

Also, it will be awhile before we see anything developed from the ground up using dx12. And when we do, it will be just a handful of games. It will take a couple years before we see its implementation widespread.

Those aren't DX12 benckmarks and unless the clock speeds are the same those benchmarks are meaningless for overclockers.

for single GPU system, what's the benefit for gaming?

Many of you will I think be surprised by Skylake. We'll have to wait and see.

Unfortunately everything is under embargo. I can't get more specific than I already have. About the only thing I'm willing to say is that P67 users will definitely benefit from the upgrade. Z68 users will benefit less, but I think there is still some value in the upgrade. In part because of the CPU and in part due to the platform. Any X58 users who are still rocking 920 C0/D0 CPUs may want to consider Skylake as well.

Many of you will I think be surprised by Skylake. We'll have to wait and see.

Unfortunately everything is under embargo. I can't get more specific than I already have. About the only thing I'm willing to say is that P67 users will definitely benefit from the upgrade. Z68 users will benefit less, but I think there is still some value in the upgrade. In part because of the CPU and in part due to the platform. Any X58 users who are still rocking 920 C0/D0 CPUs may want to consider Skylake as well.

Such a tease! :mad:

Can't wait though. :D

My main reason for upgrading is just that I was tired of pouring money into my i7-3820/x79 build. I had been through three motherboard in 2 months. When I had to RMA the third it was either return it and wait for skylake or drop $225 on a decent board. I decided to return it and to go all out on skylake, which at my upgrade pace, will hold me over for 4-5 years.

Last edited:
Back