Are you guys going to upgrade to a 6700k when its out?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
will anyone upgrade to the 6700k cpu when is it out? (and it will require a new mobo huh)

I had absolutely committed to a 5775C totally silent build until Intel in it's infinite wisdom chose to have it be a vapor launch in North America. Still shaking my head on that one. So now I'm set on a conventional air 6700K if and only if it will be available for actual purchase and physical delivery no later than the end of August (unlike the LGA Broadwells). I'm going to run the cabling through the wall and keep the noise away in that manner. I'll probably go for the Asus Z170-Pro but I'm waiting to see what else comes out by then.

If keep waiting for stuff that is at least a year or more away you'll never upgrade.

True. I have an old 6 core [email protected], and I would like to get another 6-8 modern cores at about the same ghz. Haswell e didnt really impress me so here we are. pcie4 ssds do however look like a nice jump in performance, so we stay in casablanca and wait and wait and wait...

I've been holding out, just waiting for the right time to jump from my i7-950 on the old x58. Really been waiting for everything modern to be included all in one go and with the latest CPU just 'cause. Its the platform upgrade i'm really after. I'm getting some wierd BSOD's i can't pin point (not that i've tried hard... but tracking BSOD's in Windows is like pulling teeth, they make it impossible to find info unless you're a super nerd, i'm just a regular nerd that needs to get shit done!).

I really wanted to wait till Skylake-E (if its even a thing, with intel and their -E's you just never know lately). But my system's ever so slightly skipping a beat combined with me wanting to grab a larger SSD and wanting it to be PCIe and NVMe, and no sight of Skylake-E for a long time (might see Broadwell-E in a year.. or not at all, who bloody knows!). I'm thinking Z170 with a 6700K.

Not looking forward to dropping coin on 16GiB of DDR4 though. Really wanted to get 32GiB but i'm thinking i'll have to go 16 given the no-lube-reem-factor!

Do you think they will drop prices on Haswell when skylake come out? Is the 5820k still worth buying?

I`m very eager to say goodbye to my X5690 i`v been rocking for the past 3 years (no OC) and move on.
My Workstation mobo is not feature reach to say the least ( no SATA3, USB 3.0, official SLI support etc.)

I'll wait. No real reason to upgrade yet and I want to see what AMD's Zen can do first.

I've been saving up for two years for a big upgrade, and Skylake, unless it bombs, will be it.

Coming from a Phenom II X2 550 (OC'd to 4.0GHz at least) it'll be a huge jump forward.

Will likely jump for the 6700k, running a 2500k @ 4.5 for 4.5 years :) Will upgrade for the platform i.e. increased PCI-E lanes, SATA ports. USB 3.1/type c etc. more than cpu performance (which should be about a 30% baseline increase). Already have 2 x 8 GB of cheap DDR4 ($65) waiting to be used.

If keep waiting for stuff that is at least a year or more away you'll never upgrade.

Thats not true totally. People who have been strategic about purchases generally end up with much better hardware for the money spent, if they time it correctly.

I'll wait. No real reason to upgrade yet and I want to see what AMD's Zen can do first.

This is the boat I'm in. I have 2600K and am very happy with the performance and features, and I really wanna see what Zen brings to the table.

I'm itching to see what Skylake can actually do, including what kind of overclocks are possible with it. I might have to hold off a bit simply due to the extra expense of DDR4.

Im planning on upgrading, I have really liked AMD processors and currently use the 8320, but I dont see anything new coming soon from AMD to close the performance gap so time to change with the next intel processor release.

I'm planning on it as I'm behind a bit (2500K), but it isn't an auto-buy. Skylake will still need to be compelling.

My motherboard is starting to do some strange stuff so I'm looking to upgrade. I'll send the good ol 2600k to a friend.

Like many others, I'm sitting on the 2600k that I've been using for about 4 years now. At this point, I'm starting to get the upgrade itch, and I've also started having random issues with my motherboard (missing drives and the like requiring CMOS clears to reappear). I'm definitely going to take a hard look at the Skylake reviews when they come out. Worst case scenario I'd be looking at a 30-40% upgrade anyway. Then again, wasn't Intel quoted as saying that gamers would be really happy with Skylake? Depending on what that means, it might definitely be worth the upgrade.

Why would anyone upgrade to skylake when you can get a 5820k?

faster single thread, probably around the same price.

I will likely move to skylake-e, or quite possible zen, but probably skylake-e. Based on current AMD blunders I don't really expect much out of Zen.

I'll upgrade to the first system that gives me 60 PCIe lanes.

For example the X99-E WS mobo from Asus has 72 PCIe 3.0 lanes. Makes possible simultaneous running of 7 PCIe cards in x8, an M.2 SSD x4 and two USB 3.1 x2.

I don't really know whether I want to upgrade or keep waiting at this point. My 2600K and Z68 board are running fine and I can think of a lot of cool tech to spend $800+ on. A new 4K monitor and GPU come to mind.

If the latest leaks are true it seems like the 6700K is actually slower in some areas than Haswell which blows my mind frankly. Did Intel not have access to a 4790K to compare it to? :rolleyes:

I was considering it, but nope. My 4.62ghz 3770K is still going strong. Will probably wait until nVidia Volta and then upgrade everything.

Nope. There is simply no reason to since I have a 4790k which runs rock stable at 4.8.
CPU upgrades are kinda rare now. No point really as new architectures arent offering anything ground breaking.

Soon as that Skylake E is out ill be picking up a Caselabs chassis and decking it right out. Im really keen to have U2 SSDs so ill wait til then so theyve got it ironed out.

faster single thread, probably around the same price.

I will likely move to skylake-e, or quite possible zen, but probably skylake-e. Based on current AMD blunders I don't really expect much out of Zen.

Hard to get excited for AMD now isnt it XD. Might make a nice price war if say the top Zen is as good as the top Skylake, might even see it bring the price of the Cannonlakes down. From what we know so far though, only as good as Haswell.

Me personally? Nope, the i5-3570K I have works fine and i've got other stuff on my list that are quite more important.

If there was a 100% chance that SKL was going back to a soldered IHS, then I'd be making the jump. Since there is high probability that Intel's paying customers are going to get screwed over again with paste under the lid, then I'll likely stay put for now.

I wanted to since my Haswell is bad overclocker (only 4400 at acceptable voltage) but I might wait till Skylake-E for PCI-express 4.0

Gonna wait for some benchmarks and reviews. My 2600k is starting to show a little age, but end of the day, it's holding up to everything I've needed to throw at it and then some.

Back