Are you gonna wait 'til X800 XT or get a 6800?

I'm definitely going to wait for the XT before I make my decision. I don't spend $500 lightly. Buying a 6800U now would be like casting an election vote before you know everything about the other candidate. A hardware buyer must be informed, and that's difficult in this situation since these manufacturers keep tight wraps on everything. Wait and see, my 9800 Pro can be stretched a while longer.

I will ultimately buy the best card, but if they're equivalent then I would go with ATi...I haven't been happy with nVidia for over a year now. But there's no reason to say you're going either way until all the cards are on the table, so I'm going to wait and see what the XT can do. :)

Neither, I'm broke :(

I wouldn't object to winning either one in a contest though :D

I'll probably buy a 6800Ultra when it hits the shelves. I need a new video card now. This Radeon 9600Pro no overclocking turd that's in my system has to go.

I just hope that the ATi R420 isn't too much faster than 6800Ultra. That way I'll feel like I got my moneys worth. I would be pissed if I bought the 6800U and the R420 was a shit load faster.

But somehow I doubt Nvidia will be topped too badly if at all this round.

I will wait until the X800XT is out. The Shader model 3.0 patch is out for Far Cry so I can see what it can do and at what performance if all optimizations is removed from that and other games back then. If not I have no choice but go with the X800XT. I have a feeling that will comp extremely well against the 6800 ULTRA and offering equal if not better image quality.

6800u wont be out in retail for about 40 days from today as per Nvidia.
I have no doubt that the 600mhz 16 pipeline ATi x800 XT will be faster than the 400mhz 6800u because the ATi card is clocked so much higher.

Heck the 12 pipe ATi card may come close because its clocked at 475 who knows.

I am going to get it. The reason I got a 9800P last year was NVIDIA was just so far behind. The r420 won't be leagues ahead of the NV40 like the 9800 was to the FX. So, to me it comes down to drivers. NVIDIA is far superior STILL to ATi in that department. I still run CAT 3.7 because anything past that breaks too many games. ATi still can't figure out how to make Call of Duty run good.

Originally posted by Orbius
6800u wont be out in retail for about 40 days from today as per Nvidia.
I have no doubt that the 600mhz 16 pipeline ATi x800 XT will be faster than the 400mhz 6800u because the ATi card is clocked so much higher.

Heck the 12 pipe ATi card may come close because its clocked at 475 who knows.

I say 99% odds that the XT will NOT be at 600MHz. Gentlemens bet anyone?

We know by now that clockspeed doesnt mean much when comparing apples to oranges though.

I will wait until the X800XT is out and then i buy ASAP the 12 pipes X800 :) , i just like ATI IQ and i don't trust Nvidia anymore , even if the X800 is slower than 6800NU , i still better buy ATI just to be sure to have good FPS @ good IQ .
They cut the Sky in far cry ,....bug , heh ,...i dont want to buy a videocard and if is slower than competition to have the water effects cut , after the sky killed and if is still not faster enough let's cut the trees or whatever and call this a bug or optimisation ,...might better to buy ballanced stuff .

it isn't a bug, it is the nv40 runing code with nv3x optimizations, once that is fixed in the next patch and we have dx 9.0c, the nv40 will use SM 3.0 features and have eye candy that the r420 can't do and IQ it can't match.

it isn't a bug, it is the nv40 runing code with nv3x optimizations, once that is fixed in the next patch and we have dx 9.0c, the nv40 will use SM 3.0 features and have eye candy that the r420 can't do and IQ it can't match.

Assuming both that the R420 does not support VS3.0 (displacement mapping) and does not feature improved or faster higher-tap Anisotropic filtering, yes?

PS3.0 does not seem very likely to improve visual quality over PS2.0 on the R3XX by itself in games that both do not require centroid sampling (which the R300 supports) or flow control/predication/extended shader lengths.

On topic, I plan on waiting until the R420 is out, if not longer.
I haven't run into speed or driver issues with the 9800Pro as of yet.

Originally posted by Merlin45

Well m8 this may be right , i agree with you , but only if X800 XT is slower than 6800U , ....because if not you can forget about your IQ , ... Nvidia will again replace codes , cut sky's , reduce IQ , force again bilinear and do whatever necesary until the card will equal or barely beat the high end ATI .
For this i say that i better buy ATI , safe purchase .
So if you plan to buy the 6800U now , you better pray that the card will beat ATI because if not , all your wonderfull IQ and ps3 exceptional capabilities will be flushed in the toilet and replaced by a PS3 who look like a PS1.

Wait... First things first, I have to price out a new good brandname powersupply to replace my Antec True 330.

By the time the first (p)reviews show up for the X800, it will probably be before the 6800 shows up for purchase. At that time, hopefully the picture will be clearer.

Originally posted by ZenOps
Wait... First things first, I have to price out a new good brandname powersupply to replace my Antec True 330.

By the time the first (p)reviews show up for the X800, it will probably be before the 6800 shows up for purchase. At that time, hopefully the picture will be clearer.

My thoughts exactly. I for one do not think that NV40 will be as fast as the R420XT... ATi has made a point about sticking with what works for games and making that fast. Remember that the Geforce's sucked it up for games, but the Quadro's slaughtered all-nVidia builds GPU's for more than just games.

Im interested in the NV40...ATis car dmay be interesting and all but Ive had some prior bad experiences with them in the past and I wont deal with them again...if ever again so the NV40 will suit me just fine.
Now I honestly dont see ATi's card being faster...and if it is its probably not by much. also the '40s IQ is pretty much on par with the radeon..and in some cases better...and if that holds true then my moneys there anyways...and every one bitching bout their "cheats" please dont think NV is gonna fuck up twice in a row on a new gen card...that has the potential of winning back the large group that left them the last go around. Man everyone holds that one fuck up against themand acts as if ATi's "quack" fuck up never existed:rolleyes:

Actually need to correct you there, R420 has all the features of SM3.0, it doesnt however supposedly have all the features of PS3.0. Also there there is nothing you cant do with multiple shader instructions with PS2.0 in PS3.0. So R420 can match IQ of the NV40.

the places I belive where the r420 lacks is in precision (ATI uses 24 bit, ps 3.0 standard is 32 bit), and branching and flow control.

the places I belive where the r420 lacks is in precision (ATI uses 24 bit, ps 3.0 standard is 32 bit), and branching and flow control.

2 of which could present little to no problem for the R420...

The preview of x800xt will come may 4th along with pro and se and the video card will release in may soon after the launch.

Since the x800 will have 24bit precision, it will have to run complicated PS2.0 instructions to create simple PS3.0 effects, multiple advanced ps2.0 effects will tax the gpu more than normal ps3.0 effects, even though they are the same on the monitor.

I've had about enough of ATI. I personally haven't had problems but our products at work are really having trouble. I'll buy a nv40 the day its released.

I'll be waiting until the dust has settled.

Really, though, I just bought this 9800 on an 'emergency' basis (my GF3 died) so that sort of kills any upgrade plans on the video end of things until at least this summer.

Either way, I'm confident I can run HL2/Doom3 right now, of course, we'll see what happens with price/performane and who benches better when the cards are under review and general availability, and very well, I could be looking at an nVidia setup again, that is, if the X800 part isn't faster, anyways.

Originally posted by IdiotInCharge
My thoughts exactly. I for one do not think that NV40 will be as fast as the R420XT... ATi has made a point about sticking with what works for games and making that fast. Remember that the Geforce's sucked it up for games, but the Quadro's slaughtered all-nVidia builds GPU's for more than just games.

I think they'll be about the same speed. So speed isn't an issue. I think they'll be about the same IQ, so scratch that. Same price too, not an issue. So, now we are down to support and drivers. NVIDIA has better drivers IMO, but support? That's fact. Game dev's support NVIDIA way more as ATi invests virtually NOTHING in getting devs to support their product. ( Except Valve! ). That is what is making NVIDIA look like the clear choice to me. ATi needs to have a much better developer relations program.

btw just laughing who cares if either of these ati or nvidia cards support 3.0 does it matter ? by the time ne1 really implements them and actually uses them in games these new cards will be old news. you people are mindless hell be few more years til most games even use dx9.... lol

Originally posted by Shane
btw just laughing who cares if either of these ati or nvidia cards support 3.0 does it matter ? by the time ne1 really implements them and actually uses them in games these new cards will be old news. you people are mindless hell be few more years til most games even use dx9.... lol

Thank you for the well thought out and thread contributing post, everyone should make note of your style and implement it into their future posts accordingly.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

What do you tell a women with two black eyes?

Nothing, you've already told her twice.

Next year about this time, You'll be able to get r420 & nv40 cards for half of what the release price is. They will be "bug free" with proven drivers.WHT NOT WAIT?

Until I see end cards go head to head, there is no choice to be made.

Before I plunk down $300-500 (depending on Ultra version or not) of my hard-earned cash, I would damn well want to know all the facts about both.

Until ATI lays it's cards on the table, one would not be in possession of all the information needed to make an informed decision. The only compelling reason to make a purchase decision at this juncture would be brand loyalty, and that is not enough for most folks who have been through many product cycles with both companies.

The saving grace in all of this is, despite the product announcements, product availability for either will likely not be immediate, thereby forcing the vast majority to wait.....at least long enough for both announcements and all the information to be available.

Next year about this time, You'll be able to get r420 & nv40 cards for half of what the release price is. They will be "bug free" with proven drivers.WHT NOT WAIT?

Because many of us have old video cards, I for one have a TI4200, which mind you isn't as old as dirt it has given me signifigant problems with todays games. As for people with GF3's and stuff, do you blame them for wanting to upgrade. I personally cant wait till these cards hit consumer channels so that I can get one, waiting for a year is absolutely ridiculous.

And Shane, FarCry already has a PS3.0 patch released for it. It took them 3 weeks to release a PS3.0 patch, and most games to come in the near future will most likely in some way shape or form utilize PS3.0. And great post btw, very well thought out and inciteful. I can only dream that one day I will posses the advanced grasp and control of the english language that you seem to have a knack for ... :eek:

Originally posted by The Titan
Until I see end cards go head to head, there is no choice to be made.

what he said...IMO with the two products being released so close together, to buy one of the other blindly without seeing a head to head comparison its just plain effing stupid...anyone who does needs their heads checking...unless they are made of money and dont care about spending $400 on something that may be proven inferior in a couple of weeks.

Back