Are you going for reference Big Navi/RTX 3xxx or waiting for AIB offers?

Sold out everywhere depends if the logo is green on the reference.

Last edited:
In curious, how good is Nvidia reference compared to custom cards?
I've never had reference. Is it worth waiting for custom cards if I don't want to put a waterblock on my reference card?

I'm definitely planning on getting a ~3070 and I like the look of that leaked cooler - it just depends on performance, noise, and cost compared to AIB solutions.

For AMD, probably reference if their card is worth while to buy, for Nvidia EVGA is my first choice. Many factors will come into play:
  1. Support for next generation of monitors and TVs -> DP 2.0 and/or HDMI 2.1
  2. Perf/cost
  3. Nvidia great Cuda support gives them an edge up in general in my case
    1. Note: AMD dropped OpenCL support for Navi gaming cards while supplying OpenCL to their Pro Navi cards -> Pro-Render uses OpenCL
    2. Without word or notice, AMD just flat out rejected Navi owners from even using their own 3d rendering software unless you forked up the money for their Pro cards while Nvidia cards still supports OpenCL 1.2 so Pro-Render works on all Turing cards and before
    3. Cuda is well supported on a number of 3d renderers like Octane and VRay (both will use the RT cores for further speed)
  4. Overall RT performance and features. This for me is more than just for games.
No telling in the short run here on what card or cards I will pick up when the next generation hits, just have to evaluate when the time comes when they are available and what is going on.

Edit: OpenCL does work with Navi/RNDA based graphics cards now

Last edited:
I should probably wait for custom models but I most likely won't and will just pre-order whatever nvidia's next best card is on day 1. And then slap a custom cooler on it because there is like 0.0000001% chance that their reference cooler will satisfy my needs (noise, mostly).

For AMD, probably reference if their card is worth while to buy, for Nvidia EVGA is my first choice. Many factors will come into play:
  1. Support for next generation of monitors and TVs -> DP 2.0 and/or HDMI 2.1
  2. Perf/cost
  3. Nvidia great Cuda support gives them an edge up in general in my case
    1. Note: AMD dropped OpenCL support for Navi gaming cards while supplying OpenCL to their Pro Navi cards -> Pro-Render uses OpenCL
    2. Without word or notice, AMD just flat out rejected Navi owners from even using their own 3d rendering software unless you forked up the money for their Pro cards while Nvidia cards still supports OpenCL 1.2 so Pro-Render works on all Turing cards and before
    3. Cuda is well supported on a number of 3d renderers like Octane and VRay (both will use the RT cores for further speed)
  4. Overall RT performance and features. This for me is more than just for games.
No telling in the short run here on what card or cards I will pick up when the next generation hits, just have to evaluate when the time comes when they are available and what is going on.
They didn't drop support for opencl, they broke some things in their drivers that caused it to fail in a bunch of things. I don't know if it's been fixed honestly as I don't have a Navi card, just wanted to clarify. Not that it makes much difference if you can't use it, but they didn't intentionally disable it (unless I misunderstood what everyone was complaining/saying).

Is Gigabyte the only AIB that makes dual slot, triple fan Ti cards? I'm trying to cram the most GPU possible into my Ghost S1 lol.

They didn't drop support for opencl, they broke some things in their drivers that caused it to fail in a bunch of things. I don't know if it's been fixed honestly as I don't have a Navi card, just wanted to clarify. Not that it makes much difference if you can't use it, but they didn't intentionally disable it (unless I misunderstood what everyone was complaining/saying).
Your right, thanks for the correction, Luxmark now works, which is an OpenCL program. Version 13 of Modo had ProRender which failed to work with the 5700XT AE for several months plus other OpenCL stuff. Blender as well with ProRender was not working. Have not tried it since and missed any driver updates on this. Thanks!

Your right, thanks for the correction, Luxmark now works, which is an OpenCL program. Version 13 of Modo had ProRender which failed to work with the 5700XT AE for several months plus other OpenCL stuff. Blender as well with ProRender was not working. Have not tried it since and missed any driver updates on this. Thanks!
No problems. I mean, they have a hard time with the drivers apparently, but they don't just turn off random features and put artificial limitations (I'm looking at you Nvidia and your artificial 2 transcode limit). Both are annoying, but one may eventually get fixed, while the other will never change.
If it makes you feel any better blender + cycles crashes my Fury Nano but works perfectly on my son's RX 570, both running the same driver, so I have to run it on my CPU.

Pretty sure I'm going to wait on MSI Gaming X version of 3080Ti as I have good experience with Gaming X cards.

Last few gens I've gone with founders cards and will continue with that trend -- a few months into having the new cards I tend to upgrade them with AIO or some sort EKWB.

I have over $700 in dell rewards that are gonna expire right around when these cards come out so I may not have a choice. whatever Is available is what I’m gonna get

Whichever card gets me the performance jump I need for about $200-250 gets my money.

The first dual slot (dual or triple fan) AIB gets my money...since thats all that will fit into my Ghost S1.

The reference design "Founder's Edition" GPU from Nvidia looks gorgeous and so I hope they follow something similar for the 3080Ti/3090 etc. I had 2x 2080 Ti Founder's Edition for a while and then got 2x Asus RoG Strix 2080 Ti's which are very thick and hog up a LOT of space inside the case like below:

gzmlXou.jpg

The real question is.. if the 3080ti is announced as “starting at $999” and the founders edition card is $1199 or $1149 (and so is every other FE card sold by 3rd parties) with no cheaper custom cooler designs available on day 1 or potentially for a while, do you get the FE/reference card or wait for cheaper cards?

The real question is.. if the 3080ti is announced as “starting at $999” and the founders edition card is $1199 or $1149 (and so is every other FE card sold by 3rd parties) with no cheaper custom cooler designs available on day 1 or potentially for a while, do you get the FE/reference card or wait for cheaper cards?
There were few token $999 2080Ti's, in many cases with not such a good experience. While most were even above the price of the FE cards. Ampere may follow suite with an advertised lower price that you can never grab. Just choose the one that will best give you what you want, many of us can wait months on end since we are already having a great gaming experience which the new cards may not even give that much more in the end. It is unknown at this point how good is the supply, I expect Nvidia to have a very sound product but have no idea if Samsung can deliver the quantities needed for the complex Ampere GPUs. Nor how worthy AMD RNDA 2x will be which may be the better choice once we know more.

The reference design "Founder's Edition" GPU from Nvidia looks gorgeous and so I hope they follow something similar for the 3080Ti/3090 etc. I had 2x 2080 Ti Founder's Edition for a while and then got 2x Asus RoG Strix 2080 Ti's which are very thick and hog up a LOT of space inside the case like below:

View attachment 263528

Killer rig you have.. How is your Arctic 2 280mm holding out? Was thinking of getting one for my upcoming Ryzen 7 - 47/or 4800X cpu upgrade

Killer rig you have.. How is your Arctic 2 280mm holding out? Was thinking of getting one for my upcoming Ryzen 7 - 47/or 4800X cpu upgrade

The Arctic II 280mm is hands down the best AIO I've ever had. I've had the Kraken X60 and X62 (still have those) but this Arctic Liquid Freezer II outperforms those by quite some margin. However, I do have 2x Noctua 3000RPM PPC fans on all my AIO coolers so the performance may not be the same if you use the stock fans.

Back