Are you going for reference Big Navi/RTX 3xxx or waiting for AIB offers?

I'm torn. On the one hand, the hardware quality of the Nvidia reference designs can't be beat. 3rd party cards feel like toys in comparison. On the other hand, Nvidia never has the quietest design.

Getting another Aorus Windforce most likely - love it on my 1080. Since I'm still ON a 1080, will definitely be buying next generation.

kingpin card...if we get one this gen.. with their best engineer leaving thats not a guarantee

I won't cheap out on this gen.
The reason is I have a 4k/120hz screen and Valve Index and I want to up the VR resolution as much as I can.
But I also won't go for Titan. Max €1500-1700 card.

The third parties are called "AIB Partners" but out of laziness people just abbreviate to "AIB." This is just netspeak. There are tons of abbreviations in everyday life that make no sense when you think about them, and really only exist for expediency.

this exactly. I’m still trying to figure out what “clit” is short for.

I'm going to, as I normally do, wait and see.
For a while AMD has had the best designs on their top end parts. They made a WC FE Vega 64. And there wasn't any aftermarket cooler designs on Radeon VII, basically every AIB was the same. Your options on VII was basically go custom loop WC or nothing.
Navi had a bunch of partner boards, but a lot of them quite frankly were awful, and Navi gen 1 was decidedly midranged (not that there was anything wrong with that).

this exactly. I’m still trying to figure out what “clit” is short for.
Coalition for the Liberation of Itinerant Tree-dwellers
1591731783428.png

when these cards come, ill wait for the AIB versions. more options....

AIB. In addition looking at an AIO model so I'll be waiting even longer and paying even more. Hopefully the performance boost is really significant over the 20 series.

I'm willing to spend a maximum of $850 for my next GPU and I will definitely watercool it like always. When I look at the new 3080 reference design, I really hope that AMD can deliver with Big Navi. The PCB of the new Nvidia cards looks weird to me and I guess they are not as easy to watercool anymore, because of the PCIe power connectors not being directly on the board.

So we will see. I feel like it depends heavily on AMD now what I'm going to do.

There have been several prior posts showing historically that when there was both a new architecture and a new process node, as with ampere, we’ve seen the largest jumps from nvidia. No guarantee regarding this go around but I’m hopeful that the much larger transistor budget and cooler running will lead to some compelling stuff.
Regarding reference vs 3rd party boards, the reference design looks to be very premium- speculation is that it would add 150+ to the cost by itself. There may be cheaper 3rd party boards with traditional heat pipe cooling designs .

I'm gonna wait. I don't want to deal with overloud coolers and unknown drivers at launch this time. If the cards launch in September-october I'm hoping to get one around Christmas.

I won't cheap out on this gen.
The reason is I have a 4k/120hz screen and Valve Index and I want to up the VR resolution as much as I can.
But I also won't go for Titan. Max €1500-1700 card.
I'm on 1080p and 72hz.... I may not get the Titan either, lol.

Reactions: noko
like this
I will go with whatever is fastest in my budget. Actual numbers not leaks.

At this point I don't have a ton of hope from Big Navi, just due to constantly being let down by AMD, but lets see what the actual benches say.

Noise doesn’t bother me as I game with my headphones on. Isn’t that when the fans ramp up anyways when it’s being stressed? But when you’re just surfing the web, trolling Facebook or watching YouTube videos noise really wouldn’t be an issue right? That’s why there are software to let you control how fast you want your fans to spin correct? I’m just really confused on how picky some people are when it comes to “noisy cooling”. I’m not trying to undermine anyone but please can someone help me understand.

I don't use headphones, probably never will, and there's no reason for my computer to make any noise at any point if there's way for it to be silent.
The sound of a GPU ramping up during an intense part of a game, or hell, even if I'm just doing some background transcoding, annoys the hell out of me.

That's before even getting into how much I'd prefer my open air microphone not pick up any background noise when recording my podcast.

Likewise, watching YouTube and playing a game and surfing the web are all actions I do simultaneously. I have 3 monitors for a reason. My computer is hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound for full immersion, and fan noise ruins that.

Noise is just... Unpleasant. More importantly, it's absolutely unnecessary.

I don't use headphones, probably never will, and there's no reason for my computer to make any noise at any point if there's way for it to be silent.
The sound of a GPU ramping up during an intense part of a game, or hell, even if I'm just doing some background transcoding, annoys the hell out of me.

That's before even getting into how much I'd prefer my open air microphone not pick up any background noise when recording my podcast.

Likewise, watching YouTube and playing a game and surfing the web are all actions I do simultaneously. I have 3 monitors for a reason. My computer is hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound for full immersion, and fan noise ruins that.

Noise is just... Unpleasant. More importantly, it's absolutely unnecessary.
I’m starting to understand. Thank you. So pretty much water cooling your entire pc I assume?

Nah, pumps make a sound too. I currently use gigantic air coolers and large, slow moving fans.
This would be really difficult for me in my ITX case. I can deal with my pump kicking on when I'm under heavy loads to not need space for a huge half empty box ;). Everyone makes concessions somewhere in their build. I used to run a full size desktop with a 360mm case ran for quiet airflow, but it has gradually went from full size to mid size to itx over the last few builds. It is so much more convenient with my desk and space I have. My server is the big one but sits in another room.

Nah, pumps make a sound too. I currently use gigantic air coolers and large, slow moving fans.

I run the (DDC style) pump in my loop at ~2000 RPM (vs ~4800 full speed). It's not quite silent at that speed, but is far quieter than a pair/trio of GPU fans while gaming.

I get the quiet - My gaming machine was built for absolute quiet unless needed. Aorus Windforce for the GPU, AIO downclocked except as needed, big fans on slow. It ramps up very carefully so I have time to get used to the sound as it gets warmer (worked a lot on those fan and pump profiles), I love it.

My workstation is higher powered and higher heat, but I have headphones for it.

The sound of fans whirring and spinning is like Mozart's serenade no 13 to me. My home office sounds like a server room , it's soothing to me, means shits working

When you grew up gaming on machines with 60mm fans and blowers you got used to it

like this
The sound of fans whirring and spinning is like Mozart's serenade no 13 to me. My home office sounds like a server room , it's soothing to me, means shits working

When you grew up gaming on machines with 60mm fans and blowers you got used to it

I go into the server room when I want that. The ozone smell helps for me :)

like this
Everyone makes concessions somewhere in their build. I used to run a full size desktop with a 360mm case ran for quiet airflow, but it has gradually went from full size to mid size to itx over the last few builds. It is so much more convenient with my desk and space I have. My server is the big one but sits in another room.
Yeah, my desktop is simultaneously my server at the moment so I have 9 hard drives and in a full case. I'm not planning on going any smaller anytime soon. Lol.
Someday I'll migrate my media server to a dedicated box, but until the funds appear for that my main pc will be doing both.
Just kinda happened organically.

Yeah, my desktop is simultaneously my server at the moment so I have 9 hard drives and in a full case. I'm not planning on going any smaller anytime soon. Lol.
Someday I'll migrate my media server to a dedicated box, but until the funds appear for that my main pc will be doing both.
Just kinda happened organically.

Yeah, that's what I had until I downsized into a Synology, and haven't looked back. I would miniaturize my desktop into ITX, but the parts are just so expensive. Plus, a medium to high end graphics card is still large and hot for a small ITX case without some planning.

I'll be getting an FE card on release day (if I can be lucky enough to score one) as well as an EK waterblock as soon as they release. I don't care the price (I have two 2080 Ti's). I'll probably be upgrading my spare room PC to one of these 2080 Tis and the other I'll just sell off. I won't be going SLI again (although every time I say that, I end up doing it because I get a good deal on the second card).

If rumors are true, I'll snag a 3090Ti (not a 3080Ti) and I will likely wait for "AIB" cards. Probably go for another eVGA FTW model when they come out. The extra spacing on the larger PCB helps with thermals a bit on all of the components on the board.

No way in hell am I going to pay "founders" card prices.

I'll just wait for EVGA to put out their "Black" or whatever cheaper card they sell. That's all I need.

Reactions: Fleat
like this
I'll probably go for the 3080 Ti Founders Edition card as soon as it drops. I currently have a 1080 Ti Founders Edition and it has been a great card.

Having used mainly AMD cards for the last 6 years (290x, 295x2, FuryX, Radeon Pro, Vega Frontier Edition) and now use an Nvidia 2080ti...I am going to wait out this generation. I am very happy with the performance of my 2080ti. But I do look forward to the reviews...I have been known to purchase a new card after the kinks are worked out.

like this
Right now, I'm in the "be content with what I have" camp, which is exactly what I said last time around this time... then poof, benchies, and next gen is in my cart and ordered. Clearly benchmarks just do it for me.

I enjoy the hype for next gen stuff as much as the next guy, but without numbers, I can't say for certain what exactly I'd do. Between wanting to move up to a bigger UW display, feeling the urge to move up to something with more cores (replacing the 7700k) and the associated costs with that, I have a hard time seeing where a $1200+ (or whatever the final number is) graphics card also fits into the puzzle.

I'm hearing really impressive things about both Ampere and Big Navi...if true this could be the most competitive GPU release ever...especially if the ray-tracing performance hit is not that big as rumored...hopefully the mid-tier cards get released sooner rather then later...both companies are going all in on Cyberpunk 2077 upgrade-itis

Reference 3080 Ti as I'll be putting it under water. Might wait to see if any of the AIBs (EVGA or Gigabyte) will have their waterblocked cards within a reasonable amount of time.

Noise doesn’t bother me as I game with my headphones on. Isn’t that when the fans ramp up anyways when it’s being stressed? But when you’re just surfing the web, trolling Facebook or watching YouTube videos noise really wouldn’t be an issue right? That’s why there are software to let you control how fast you want your fans to spin correct? I’m just really confused on how picky some people are when it comes to “noisy cooling”. I’m not trying to undermine anyone but please can someone help me understand.

I also add that not every headphone is closed design, in fact many audiophile grade headphones are fully open and they do not isolate outside noise at all. Any kind of noise is distracting on them.

For me noise is 1A on my list of priorities. I cannot deal with a loud PC...AT ALL. I almost never wear headphones, and almost any noise will drive me nuts. Coil whine drives me up a wall. Mt computer needs to be essentially silent. I want the speed too, but I will definitely wait for the quietest Big Navi or 3080TI card, couple it with a 65W processor, a silent heatsink, quiet power supply and chassis with big silent fans. Even when playing games I need to not hear the computer at all. If I could figure a decent way to stick it 30 feet away I would do it. I have super sensitive hearing. I listen to TV at a very very low volume. Crowd and loud music can literally be painful so I wear ear plugs whenever in those situations. As I have gotten older I have lost some of my ability to hear really high frequency noise but white noise has become increasingly bad.

I DO plan on upgrading this cycle, but it will take some time to find the right components to make it silent. It is ultra important to me. So almost definitely the quietest OEM card, unless somehow the reference designs are 0DB which is not at all likely.

I plan to grab an NVIDIA reference 3080 Ti and put a water block on it asap--hopefully EK has a good one out on release.

Back