Votes: 14 13.0%
  • No interest in this type of device.

Votes: 47 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryken

2[H]4U
Not trying to start a flame war, just curious as to how many people are planning on getting one. My fiancee wants one for the house, and we'll probably wait for price drop/2nd gen.

I will wait till the 2nd generation. I did that with the iPhone. Of course the iPhone 3GS was more different than the first two iPhones and certain apps were created and were specific to the 3GS. Maybe I will wait for the 3rd generation! :D Not sure if Apple is planning to refresh as fast as the iPhones though.

Just got mine about an hour ago... seems like a nice device. it's pretty convenient to have around.

Hell yes. I can't wait to:

1) shift my home browsing to the sofa
2) browse in my lunch break without having to squint at my iPhone
3) watch my tv programmes and films when I go away and find the hotel telly doesn't have composite inputs and won't let me plug in my iPhone. :(

Not sure about the other features but I'm pretty sure that it will become my go-to e-mail client of choice within a few weeks, over my PC.

I got one today, completely worth it. It isn't a laptop replacement, but it's going to serve many a useful purpose. Of course it wasn't made to be a replacement, that's just what the haters have made it out to be.

I figure the next generation one will be far superior, but i might as well enjoy this one while it's out. I hate getting caught in a cycle of waiting for things like this.

Just got back from buying one. The BestBuy in North Canton, OH has probably twenty-five or so left.

Now, if itunes would stop being a pos maybe I could start doing something.

Just got back from buying one. The BestBuy in North Canton, OH has probably twenty-five or so left.

Now, if itunes would stop being a pos maybe I could start doing something.

That's where I got mine as well. They must have had quite a few to start with.

The interface looks responsive and slick, but I know better than to adopt Apple's first generation of any product. The 2nd gen is always more polished, faster, cheaper and practical.

I'm going to go look at them today, but not for me. My grandmother has a hard time with lap/netbooks, so I'm hoping the iPad might be the right email appliance for her. But as for me, I already have an iPhone, Kindle & Macbook so an iPad would be fairly redundant for me.

The interface looks responsive and slick, but I know better than to adopt Apple's first generation of any product. The 2nd gen is always more polished, faster, cheaper and practical.

And the 3rd gen even more so. etc. etc. How do you decide where to start though?

Some people would say that this is already a fourth generation device as it is only a ginormous iPod Touch :D

There were so many things I wanted this to be and so far it looks like it isn't it.

Really I would be interested in this if it had the following functions:

Flash: Sorry this is pretty much needed right now to be useful. I'd love to see flash no longer needed but as of now I don't want to deal with a special ipad version of a website.

Remote Control: This thing seemed like it would be a great replacement for a universal remote control. Throw in a good internal IR transmitter and this thing would be ready to rock. I mean one can pay 100 to 200 bucks easy for a universal remote. This would be a good way to help justify spending the cash to get one of these.

Home Automation Support: I know someones system has an iphone app. To me this thing would rock for this function. Apple already has wireless basestations that can stream music. Thing about this thing using them, controling appletv devices and have other things to control things like lights.

Got mine today. I didn't reserve one but only had to wait in line for 2 and a half hours. Not too bad. Bluetooth keyboard works well.

Just got out of the Best Buy closest to my house after checking out the iPad. They were sold out of the 16 GB version but had plenty of 32 and 64 GB models. Played with it for an hour and it was pretty much what I expected. I took my tm2 with me to compare the units side by side, they had four demo models. One of the BB blue shirts told me that they were only expecting 15 units but got 60.

Unless you really need the battery life and want or need a lightweight device I don't think modern TPC owners will need to apply. If you want a dedicated eReader or perhaps a portable game machine I can see the benefit.

I was really thinking about plunking down the $600 to try it out but just decided I've got too much else to do. The people that passed by overall seemed to like it but honestly they weren't really wowed by it overall. In the hour I was there one guy did buy a 32 GB version.

The biggest disappointment for me was Safari. It's pretty fast but honestly a lot of stuff needed to be resized or of course a trail broken Flash stuff. Video playback was nice in the iPod app.

It's nice looking, performs well. Pages is decent, no Word on a TPC. Guitar Here was kind of nice. NSF Shift sucked but I guess that was an iPhone app.

So I got it out of my system. I'm sure some of the cooler apps would impress me more but for me this device would have little of long term value.

Next up, the HP Slate. After seeing the iPad in person I want to see this device even more as I would have a use for a Windows device this size simply because of the integration I can get being in 100% Windows desktop world at both work and home.

I'm a Tablet PC and I just hand wrote my iPad first impressions. Literally, I'm sitting on a bench in front of Best Buy inking this post.;)

I'll probably get a non-Apple equivalent that has a proper OS with proper file standards support - by that I mean things like Microsoft Office formats, Open Document format, pdf, that sort of thing, and where I can do actual stuff that I would otherwise do on my notebook. It's just way too expensive a device to call itself just a beefed up iPhone IMO, it is competing in price with netbooks and CULV notebooks, therefore it should also compete on features. I admit, the form factor of the device and the touch screen are big plusses over conventional notebooks/netbooks, but in almost every other area the iPhone loses out for what I need. Having said that, though, the design is good, and I always wanted a device that was like a smartphone, but was powerful and full-featured enough that it rendered a notebook redundant. I think I'll wait to see what the competitors do.

I grabbed a 32GB model from BestBuy while I was out and about. So far I am loving it.

Netbooks have never been useful to me. I bought two, sold them both because the keyboards were unusable, they were slow even just browsing and the screens were too low in resolution to do more than one thing at a time anyway.

Anything I couldn't do on this thing would need my MacBook Pro in order not to be too slow or be useable resolution wise. And even as a 120+ wpm typist on a normal keyboard, the on-screen keyboard on this is way faster in use than the abortion that passes for a keyboard on my MSI.

Flash-wise, I must be weird ... the only thing I see flash used for on the sites I typically read is obnoxious adverts. If you need Flash you need it - personally I don't.

The wife is also in love with this thing, so I guess I'll be grabbing a 64Gb 3G model in a couple of weeks.

Flash: Sorry this is pretty much needed right now to be useful. I'd love to see flash no longer needed but as of now I don't want to deal with a special ipad version of a website.

General purpose web browsing on the iPad is VERY week. There's just too many things that don't work because of the lack of Flash. Maybe it was the Best Buy WiFi but it didn't seem all that fast and actually lost of pages are really to small to read without zooming which actually suprised me. Text was readable but not sharp by default. Zooming is silky smooth, way better than IE 8 on my TPC but zooming isn't something that you need to do a lot on 12.1" even with touch and IE 8 has a two finger instant zoom for those hard to click links when you need it.

The photo app is VERY nice. You can play music in the background and surf and do other tasks but honestly the Windows 7 super bar and menu system had the iPad beat by a mile.

HP needs to get their slate out NOW. Should be launched in June from what I'm hearing. That device is going to do well simply because will it doesn't have all of the pizzaz of the iPad it certainly will do many things better and a lot the same.

Windows 7 actually is a good touch screen OS. I'm hoping developers will port stuff that makes sense from the iPad to Windows, I would suspect that that will be the case and actually much of the iPad catalog are ports anyway.

But this device is WAY over hyped for sure. It's solid, its nice, it has some big flaws, and it is special but in a not really sort of way.

But I have to admit, I was ready to buy the 32 GB just to be cool, I honestly was about to do it. But the more I used it the more I realized I already had most of this stuff in my tm2, just not as light and with the great battery life. If web browsing weren't so bad I might have gone for it.

But this device made me want the HP Slate even more. I just with that HP had gone with a C2D CULV based system. Maybe they will have an option, doubt it. But damn, a CULV Windows 7 slate with dual mode digitizers. Damn that would be a fucking awesome device. Could be built today, would be a bit pricey but it would be suck a great web browsing device.

I just picked up a Lenovo S10-3T 10" convertible netbook/tablet. It has a couple of flaws that are easily fixed to make it the perfect machine for me. I might consider an iPad down the road when it gets a webcam/USB and more features to make it more like a netbook. I picked up the tablet netbook for $435 after BCB, it was a one day deal and I snatched it at a great price.

I just picked up a Lenovo S10-3T 10" convertible netbook/tablet. It has a couple of flaws that are easily fixed to make it the perfect machine for me. I might consider an iPad down the road when it gets a webcam/USB and more features to make it more like a netbook.

What flaws? Just curious as the reviews on this machine seem to be mixed but that's always the case TPCs.

Why would you want the ipad to be more like a net book? So far, doing. Everything I normally use a windows based net book for, the experience on an ipad is significantly better. Not slow, no lag at all, beautiful interface, great osk (in landscape anyway). It completely blows away any net book out there right now. I would def. Recommend it over a net book of any kind as a secondary device.

Remote Control: This thing seemed like it would be a great replacement for a universal remote control. Throw in a good internal IR transmitter and this thing would be ready to rock. I mean one can pay 100 to 200 bucks easy for a universal remote. This would be a good way to help justify spending the cash to get one of these.

http://l5remote.com/

I'm not at all interested in eBook readers or internet appliances, so no.

I do have a problem with the "Getting a non-Apple equivalent." option. Specifically, there is no equivalent. Which is why there's so much hype around this device and why every hardware/OS maker on the planet started scrambling to make something similar after the announcement. (And don't say a Netbook or smartphone, because that's not an equivalent, it's something that has similar functionality in a different form factor.)

Probably the only thing I would be interested in is Microsoft's renewed Tablet/Slate initiative. I love my old pen-based tablet and would like to see a nice Win7-based multitouch update to it.

(Although I must give the iPad the same props I give my iPhone: no flash means I browse the internet almost 100% advertising-free. :p)

What flaws? Just curious as the reviews on this machine seem to be mixed but that's always the case TPCs.

It comes with Win7 starter, you need to upgrade it to Pro for Multi-touch windows features, 2GB of RAM, Auto-rotate on the screen turned on(preferential), and apparently some of the lenevo software slows down the atom processor quite a bit running in the backround.

General purpose web browsing on the iPad is VERY week. There's just too many things that don't work because of the lack of Flash. Maybe it was the Best Buy WiFi but it didn't seem all that fast and actually lost of pages are really to small to read without zooming which actually suprised me. Text was readable but not sharp by default..

I've been surfing for the last several hours on mine at home. It's fast and very easy to read, in landscape. Flash? I suppose that depends where you surf. I won't miss it all that much, but I knew that before i bought it. The few instances where I find that it's necessary will just be sites that I go to on my laptop. I don't expect it to replace my pc, buri do expect the pc to be seeing less use.

I've been surfing for the last several hours on mine at home. It's fast and very easy to read, in landscape. Flash? I suppose that depends where you surf. I won't miss it all that much, but I knew that before i bought it. The few instances where I find that it's necessary will just be sites that I go to on my laptop. I don't expect it to replace my pc, buri do expect the pc to be seeing less use.

True, landscape helps. I think the speed is fine, but just randomly surfing a lot of quirky things. I just think that web browsing was the weakest link in everything I saw today. I mean I just don't think it is a good as a PC that's all but if you've never used a large screen touch device before you'd probably think its sweet.

I'll be asking other TPC guys why they think about iPad web browsing.

I have ran into absolutely no issues with flash. He only things missing on any page I visit with flash is the ads, and thats a good thing in my mind.

I'm waiting to see what the consensus is with the iPad as a long term ebook reader, as in 4-6 hour sittings. That's mainly what I would use it for, but I'm a little hesitant. I'm spoiled with the e-Ink of my Kindle, but a lot dev books have color diagrams and stuff.

Battery wise it will be fine for those sessions. The weight will be another story, seriously. If you plan to actually hold it the whole time then buy one of those wrist things that bowlers use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back