Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Getting a non-Apple equivalent.

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • No interest in this type of device.

Votes: 47 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm digging my 32gb version. Love it as an e-reader. Been playing HD version of Dungeon Hunter, the A4 chip is zippy all around. Very pleased. Watched 2 movies, read around 20 chapters of an e-book, played about 3 hours of games, surfed the web for a couple of hours. Still running on stock charge from Apple, since 10:30 this morning. My battery is currently @ 63%. pretty safe to say that the battery life is awesome.

yea, I'm doing that right now.

Wait... so you're telling me it can browse the web... AND PLAY MUSIC??!?! AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?!
2hrcnxd.gif

I'm waiting to see what the consensus is with the iPad as a long term ebook reader, as in 4-6 hour sittings. That's mainly what I would use it for, but I'm a little hesitant. I'm spoiled with the e-Ink of my Kindle, but a lot dev books have color diagrams and stuff.

I'm torn. iPad wins as far as being able to show pictures and superior UI leading to features like a significantly better dictionary/bookmark/search function. Ditto navigating table of contents, indexes, things like that. The Kindle wins with weight, the e-ink screen, and current selection (even though Apple offers free books that Amazon doesn't).

I wish there was a way to combine both of them, that would be a perfect e-book reader. Both have strengths and weaknesses and I could easily recommend either, depending on the person.

SixtyWattMan - See, stupid posts like that are why I could never give you one of my three Starcraft 2 beta keys. ;)

SixtyWattMan - See, stupid posts like that are why I could never give you one of my three Starcraft 2 beta keys. ;)

u mad. Don't worry, I'll just go listen to music and browse the web on my blackberry now. I will also multitask 3rd party applications.

The Kindle wins with weight, the e-ink screen, and current selection (even though Apple offers free books that Amazon doesn't).

Don't forget the iPad has a kindle app plus, presumably, b&n and other stores' readers coming soon.

Played with one today at the store, still have no idea why I would want one.

I have an iPhone, it's got 3G and 32GB of storage and only cost me 299, not effin' 729.

I will say it was very smooth and fast but it's not like that won't trickle down into the iPhone soon anyway... so meh, skipping it.

I will however buy whatever ebook reader has my Cisco textbooks first, right now no brand has them.

Last edited:
I got one for my parents today. Its a super easy thing to use that is just very intuitive. They are older and don't really understand computers all that much but this was easy for them to use.

I like it a lot and thinking of getting one for myself. Surfing the web just feels right with the touch screen and its also really fast and has great battery. The screen is gorgeous and overall I am very impressed with Apple.

8.9/10

u mad. Don't worry, I'll just go listen to music and browse the web on my blackberry now. I will also multitask 3rd party applications.

Not mad at all, enjoy your inferior products while I play this awesome game. ;)

Don't forget the iPad has a kindle app plus, presumably, b&n and other stores' readers coming soon.

Yeah. I'm still sticking with my Kindle for long term reading of books, e-ink and feather weight are still better for that IMO, but any books with a lot of images I'll definitely get on the iPad instead. Free books too, that's nice.

I have an iPhone, it's got 3G and 32GB of storage and only cost me 299, not effin' 729.
AT&T's not generously covering some of the iPad's cost with your $80+ monthly phone bill, though. A 32GB 3GS will set you back a cool $699 if you buy it sans-contract.

I will say it was very smooth and fast but it's not like that'll trickle down into the iPhone soon anyway...
Your iPhone's not going to get a clock speed upgrade any time soon, unfortunately. The clock speed on the iPad's more than twice as great as on the 3GS.

OS 4.0 might bring some efficiency improvements for the 3GS, but not on the order of a two-fold clock speed boost.

Really, the screen has to be seen to believe how great it actually is.

I'm seriously impressed with how fast, intuitive, and slick the experience is all around. Very happy with the purchase.

AT&T's not generously covering some of the iPad's cost with your $80+ monthly phone bill, though. A 32GB 3GS will set you back a cool $699 if you buy it sans-contract.

Your iPhone's not going to get a clock speed upgrade any time soon, unfortunately. The clock speed on the iPad's more than twice as great as on the 3GS.

OS 4.0 might bring some efficiency improvements for the 3GS, but not on the order of a two-fold clock speed boost.

Cool story bro!

Really though, $80+ monthly bill? I'm 40$ a month extra on the family plan, so no. I realize most people aren't as lucky as me to be on such a plan, but in my situation it just doesn't make sense to pay $730 for functionality I feel I already have in this device. (Notice the use of 'I', as in only applies to my situation, is a comment on myself and not others or the iPad itself, just to me.)

Also I know it's not subsidized I'm not an idiot, I just think it's still too expensive, also I know what an iPhone costs unsubsidized, I bought a 1st gen 8GB on release, so 652.31 after tax for that sucker, loved every minute of it though, but I've been playing the swap upgrade game with family members since and it's gotten my whole family iPhones through my upgrading.

And you actually don't know anything about what the new iPhone will or won't have hardware or software wise, I do suspect some of the enhancements will trickle down but I have no idea either, the current rumor mill suggest it *will* have an A4 chip and a higher res and those things, but I'm not holding my breath for it, I've got a 3GS using a family members upgrade (like I mentioned above) so I'm wide open for the next phone and this one will be a hand me down, as all my past iPhones have been.

Of course it wasn't made to be a replacement, that's just what the haters have made it out to be.

I am not a hater as I can see the value in the device. I would just like to quote Steve Jobs:

"The problem with net books is they can't do anything right"

Or something like that along those lines. My point being is he marketed it to be a replacement, and a replacement it ain't.

Like I said I'm not trying to hate, just making a point. I'd like to have one to use at home on the couch, but I can't justify the $500 because I have a $300 laptop that does that just fine.

No chance. Can't wait to dump my iPhone for an Evo, too. Only Apple product I like is my MacBook Pro.

I walked into an Apple store about two hours ago, expecting them to be sold out. I was just hoping to play around with one of the demo models, so I was surprised when the sales rep told me they had plenty in stock.

The device was surprisingly large, bigger than I had imagined it would be, and there was no lag, which is one of my major gripes about my iphone. However, I could not find a need for the device in my life at this time. It's too big to be any more portable than a netbook, and I suppose I could use it around the house to do couch surfing, but I figure since already have a netbook and an iphone, I don't need another 'in between' device. Maybe if it was a bit cheaper.

I am not a hater as I can see the value in the device. I would just like to quote Steve Jobs:

"The problem with net books is they can't do anything right"

Or something like that along those lines. My point being is he marketed it to be a replacement, and a replacement it ain't.

He's right. Netbooks are crap. Can't do half the stuff a 12" laptop can do, doesn't have the portability of a phone, and the recent wave has lost any price advantage they used to have.

The iPad, on the other hand, does indeed meet halfway inbetween. It's good enough to comfortably do some of what a Notebook does (movies, surfing), and it's far more portable. The product fills a "compromise" niche and haters just can't seem to understand that. Like the totally ignorant post up there about printing - this isn't a PC, it doesn't have subsystems for printers and device drivers.

Not defending it, as it's still got limited use and I won't be getting one, I'm just saying 99% of the hate boils down to "IT CAN'T DO EVERYTHING A PC DOES!!!" which is stupid. Duh, it's not a PC, of course it can't.

Really, the screen has to be seen to believe how great it actually is.

I'm seriously impressed with how fast, intuitive, and slick the experience is all around. Very happy with the purchase.

The IPS display in the iPad is the best I've seen in any mobile device, way better than any notebook I've ever used. Its almost like using the expensive IPS displays in my home office.

Now I want a photo editing app along the lines of Adobe Lightroom for the iPad. Give me that and no more image editing on the laptop when I'm on the road or on set.

And yeah, it is ridiculously fast, blew away the speed and touch accuracy/responsiveness of the HP tm2 that I demo'd right after.

Really though, $80+ monthly bill? I'm 40$ a month extra on the family plan, so no.
Yeah, I just assumed you were on a single-line plan, which is about $80 for the minimum amount of voice minutes and texts.

Also I know it's not subsidized I'm not an idiot, I just think it's still too expensive
Well, you made the comparison...

And you actually don't know anything about what the new iPhone will or won't have hardware or software wise
I wasn't aware you were talking about the new iPhone. That wasn't clear to me.

Yeah, I just assumed you were on a single-line plan, which is about $80 for the minimum amount of voice minutes and texts.

Well, you made the comparison...

I wasn't aware you were talking about the new iPhone. That wasn't clear to me.

Your assumption was fair in the case of having no prior information, I did make a passing comparison yes, so that's fine you mentioned it of course, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the new iPhone, so yeah.

/high-five?

YOU KNOW IT.

highfive.png

(Image assumes you are approximately a small child or midget, though I make no particular inferences as to your true stature)

More specifically programs made by Apple are allowed background processes, like the one that checks your email, and allows you to change songs from any app, etc..

Ahh I see.

Thought I could maybe listen to pandora and browse the web. Oh well does kinda suck.

Other then that this thing is amazing. The screen is great...fucking amazing! And it's FAST. Shit installs in seconds. Great apps and the racing game is very cool.

Got the 16gb @ bestbuy. 18 months no interest :D

I'm very impressed so far. This thing is blazing fast. I can actually "multi-task" music, Safari, Tweetdeck and Meebo just as if they were all running. I'm listening to music and browsing the web. Then when I get a message from IM the popup notification shows up. I can hit view or ignore. If I view the message, Meebo pops right up as if it was already running. I reply then hit the home button and Safari and it opens right back up to where I was. I can share links that I find on Twitter by copy from the address bar and pasting into Tweetdeck. On the iPhone 3G, trying to do all this is extremely slow and it's easier to just not do it. The iPad is so fast it makes it all seemless.

ipad.jpg

ipad2.jpg

ipad3.jpg

ipad4.jpg

ipad5.jpg

ipad6.jpg

ipad7.jpg

ipad8.jpg

ipad9.jpg

ipad10.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't going to get one but ended up getting the 16GB iPad. I like the Marvel app.

here is a terrible cell phone picture of hardforum.

I suggest viewing the forum with the display in the horizontal orientation. Everything scales perfectly that way. Things are too small in the vertical orientation.

Been viewing and typing on the forums all night on the iPad, works great.

I'm very impressed so far. This thing is blazing fast. I can actually "multi-task" music, Safari, Tweetdeck and Meebo just as if they were all running. I'm listening to music and browsing the web. Then when I get a message from IM the popup notification shows up. I can hit view or ignore. If I view the message, Meebo pops right up as if it was already running. I reply then hit the home button and Safari and it opens right back up to where I was. I can share links that I find on Twitter by copy from the address bar and pasting into Tweetdeck. On the iPhone 3G, trying to do all this is extremely slow and it's easier to just not do it. The iPad is so fast it makes it all seamless.

Yup. Everything is so frigging fast on the iPad that it doesn't feel any different from multitasking when switching between apps. Its pretty amazing, nothing like the experience switching apps on an iPhone 3G (can't speak to the 3Gs since I don't own one). Now I can't wait for the inevitable iPhone with A4 SOC.

No physical hard drive makes such a difference. The closest analogy in terms of responsiveness in launching is my desktop PC with SSD, and that SSD alone cost more than my iPad!

I fully agree with the speed assessments, the speed on this device is absolutely nuts, especially for such a small device. To get this type of responsiveness on a net book you would have to spend at least the same amount of the iPad, and you would get a worse build quality and a terrible display.

My wife got her 32 gb iPad yesterday...I didn't order one for myself because I have this laptop and have no use for an iPad.

Until I saw hers and messed around on it for a little bit.

I'm heading out to see if any Apple stores in this area (Chicago - north of Chicago to be more specific) has any still in stock. I really wish there was a way to see if any of the stores had them in stock right now so I didn't have to wait. lol

I actually enjoy the browser, but a lot of the native readers are so much better. Ie WSJ app.

I fully agree with the speed assessments, the speed on this device is absolutely nuts, especially for such a small device. To get this type of responsiveness on a net book you would have to spend at least the same amount of the iPad, and you would get a worse build quality and a terrible display.

and multitasking, expandable storage, HDMI out, VGA out, audio in, USB, Flash, higher res screen, a virtuously limitless library of software, and a webcam.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220659&cm_re=1201-_-34-220-659-_-Product
Just got told son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back