Are you camping out / lining up for an RTX 4090?

Are you camping out / lining up for an RTX 4090?

• Total voters
Nothing special about the strixes this time around, wonder why it is still so popular.
I don't know, there was someone who left the store empty handed and just said to the rest of the line that there were no more Strix. I would have preferred getting an FE if I was able to do but was happy to get a card.

I don't know, there was someone who left the store empty handed and just said to the rest of the line that there were no more Strix. I would have preferred getting an FE if I was able to do but was happy to get a card.
Probably some moron who didn't bother to look at reviews.

The cooling used to be way better than those crap FE blowers.
If you’re in it for value the lowest price card in the family (I.E. RTX 4090) you want is the best choice. It has never mattered much at all performance-wise whether it’s NVIDIA or whatever, even Kingpin.

In fact the old blowers were sometimes better depending on build.

However - we are talking a halo card value is not a factor.

You want to talk about waste of coin - water cooling.

If you’re in it for value the lowest price card in the family (I.E. RTX 4090) you want is the best choice. It has never mattered much at all performance-wise whether it’s NVIDIA or whatever, even Kingpin.

What blowers were better? IIRC they were louder and produced higher temps. I don't remember one that was better, just that people bought them because there was no other option and/or you were just planning to block it anyways.

What blowers were better? IIRC they were louder and produced higher temps. I don't remember one that was better, just that people bought them because there was no other option and/or you were just planning to block it anyways.
For SFF builds blower style is always better due to space constraints.

-They were reliable. I don't think I've ever had a blower fan die.
-They exhausted all of the hot air OUTSIDE of the case.
-Cards could be stacked right next to each other without any need for empty slots in-between

You want to talk about waste of coin - water cooling.

Interesting take, considering a 3090 Kingpin will often beat lesser 3090 Ti variants. AIO cooling on a GPU is worth the extra cash in my opinion.

Interesting take, considering a 3090 Kingpin will often beat lesser 3090 Ti variants. AIO cooling on a GPU is worth the extra cash in my opinion.
But would that money to upgrade to a 3090 Kingpin be better spent on upgrading to a 3090 Ti? Then OC the Ti. That’s my basic point. All fancy models are for fun - sure you get some gains but do it for the fun and hobby not trying to stretch from 70 to 80 or regular to Ti.

But would that money to upgrade to a 3090 Kingpin be better spent on upgrading to a 3090 Ti? Then OC the Ti. That’s my basic point. All fancy models are for fun - sure you get some gains but do it for the fun and hobby not trying to stretch from 70 to 80 or regular to Ti.

You're talking about the high-end of the high end cards. The ones with the higher power vbios and better cooling are going to give you the highest of the high performance. That's why people buy them. The second a new generation comes out, they are no longer the highest end.

But to your point, if you are not buying the highest end, then yes it makes a lot more sense to buy a low end xx80 card than a high end xx70 card and trying to achieve similar performance.

You're talking about the high-end of the high end cards. The ones with the higher power vbios and better cooling are going to give you the highest of the high performance. That's why people buy them. The second a new generation comes out, they are no longer the highest end.

But to your point, if you are not buying the highest end, then yes it makes a lot more sense to buy a low end xx80 card than a high end xx70 card and trying to achieve similar performance.
Yeah I agree with you, this whole discussion started when someone poo poo’d the STRIX. My point being all “higher priced” cards are minimal gains through time.

I'm not standing in line for a 4090, no. Recently bought a RX 6400 so I already have ray tracing support and will be good for at least another 5-6 years before I'll need to buy another videocard.

I camped out overnight for an Xbox 360 when it launched. Temperature dropped into the 40s Fahrenheit when I was not dressed for it, and I even got hit by the sprinklers when they turned on early in the morning. I didn't get sick after that ordeal.

What - catch a cold?
You're naive or just sitting on some tiny island down near some Asian island... lol.. But where I'm from ... USA. folk have been getting sick from various things most important over the last 2 yrs Covid. If all I had to worry about is catching a cold. and I could catch 4 of those cards with ease in a matter of time that would be easy then. But with the state of things and sickness once again ramping up ... Immune system not the greatest... Not worth it.. so as I said.. Not worth it.. But you do YOU...

Back