Are you camping out / lining up for an RTX 4090?

Are you camping out / lining up for an RTX 4090?

• Total voters
once and a life time experience to have, i haven't done it yet

though could be a cool bonding of enthusiasts, etc

MicroCenter opens at 8AM - I am going at 7AM (more for fun and to see the spectacle - I can't camp out, have a family). I'll also be whacking on BestBuy.com and NewEgg.com - goal would be an FE or a STRIX.

Did it for a few years with Black Friday in the early to mid 2000s. Xbox360, ps2, etc. got some good deals back then. But it eventually became such a thing that people would camp out from the morning of thanksgiving on - we were willing to do it after about 5-6, but by then it wasn’t worth it. Stopped at that point.

It is fun and unique. Especially if you’re not in a frozen wasteland (we were) and now we have cell phones with real things to do on them (we didn’t. Lots of cards were played).

I did 24 hours last year at BB for an FE restock. There were people there 4 days ahead of time in tents. I don't recommend it.
Just stay home and talk to people on forums... same thing. There should be plenty of online stock.

I did 24 hours last year at BB for an FE restock. There were people there 4 days ahead of time in tents. I don't recommend it.
Just stay home and talk to people on forums... same thing. There should be plenty of online stock.
Got my FE for MSRP during some of the height of the scalpering. HeatWare @

1665376594915.png

If I somehow end up with one, it will depend on both reviews, and what pre-blocked versions are available (hoping to get something with a slightly smaller footprint than the 3090 with optimus block I currently have so I can actually put my side panel back on).
I'm considering going air this time. my current blocked ftw3 that came pre blocked is leaking in the middle of an rma after years of water I think I'm ready to go back to air sooner or later lol

I'm considering going air this time. my current blocked ftw3 that came pre blocked is leaking in the middle of an rma after years of water I think I'm ready to go back to air sooner or later lol
Oof. That’s why I have a backup system, but that would suck. This was my first time on water after years of air or AIO, and I’ve loved it. Much smaller footprint!

Well I'm happy to see the "nopes" have it by a huge margin. Only a few will be paying the "inventory clearing premiums" it seems.

Well I'm happy to see the "nopes" have it by a huge margin. Only a few will be paying the "inventory clearing premiums" it seems.
So is the sense that the hype is kinda down for the 4090 then, or what?

Remember the hype for the RTX 2090? Yeah. neither do I.
The only reason the RTX 3090 was popular was because of lockdown, and the only reason it was unavailable was because of Ethereum.
Now both of those are gone, and everyone who wanted one either has one, or they got a different hobby.
No one cares about the RTX 4090, and even if they did, it's too expensive.

Remember the hype for the RTX 2090? Yeah. neither do I.
The only reason the RTX 3090 was popular was because of lockdown, and the only reason it was unavailable was because of Ethereum.
Now both of those are gone, and everyone who wanted one either has one, or they got a different hobby.
No one cares about the RTX 4090, and even if they did, it's too expensive.
This is a really good point. Nvidia just did a fire sale on RTX 3090 cards, and a boat load of cheap mining cards just flooded the market. It's very possible this launch will be a complete disaster.

Reactions: erek
like this
Nope. The halo never sells well, and most don't care because they won't spend that kind of money on a graphics card. So, no hype one way of the other for 4090.

The x80 stuff is overpriced as heck because of the inventory on 3xxx cards. Overall, I'd say NV is in a bind and not many people have the pocket change anymore. It's going to be a long and expensive 18 or so months if you are in the market for new tech.

like this
This is a really good point. Nvidia just did a fire sale on RTX 3090 cards, and a boat load of cheap mining cards just flooded the market. It's very possible this launch will be a complete disaster.
It's going to be just like it was when AMD put their 29X cards on fire sale back in the day. Just this time all the cheap used cards are going to hurt AMD and NV.

like this
Part of me is hoping that the scalpers pick up a bunch of these just so they will get stuck with them. It will be a great lesson for them. It feels like no one has any desire to pay scalper prices this time around.

Yep. The ONLY reason I'd upgrade is if a blocked version fits, and I can either find a good buyer for my 3090 OR decide to put the air-cooler back on so I can move it to something else - but I'm not sure any other system I have would justify it... or if putting the side panel back on the case is worth much.
Part of me is hoping that the scalpers pick up a bunch of these just so they will get stuck with them. It will be a great lesson for them. It feels like no one has any desire to pay scalper prices this time around.
Heh.

like this
That would be amazing. Seeing the botting/scalping douchebags get burned would be the best thing the 40 series could deliver.

Everyone needs to buy 3 or 4 4090s - that would be great (no, I don't work for Nvidia). ;-)

I might upgrade my current gpu so if ppl are buying this next gen, the 30xx Ampere cards might come down in price or the used card prices might ( too).

Everyone needs to buy 3 or 4 4090s - that would be great (no, I don't work for Nvidia). ;-)

I might upgrade my current gpu so if ppl are buying this next gen, the 30xx Ampere cards might come down in price or the used card prices might ( too).
"The more you buy, the more you save."

-Leather Jacket Guy

The more you buy the more you save... or so Jensen says.

Myself gonna wait for mid range cards with 4090 performance. Maybe 5070 or RNDA4?

No rush. 4090s outside of the FE won't fit in my mid-tower, so I need a new case. It's going to be a pain to rebuild my entire system. I'll wait to see which card is the best and then decide what case I want to get.

I did use a Best Buy parking lot just to meet a guy from Facebook, worked out a deal on my ref RX 5700 and he seemed very happy at $700 cash at the time Nov 2021, it plus another Facebook sale shipped to Maryland of my RX570 8Gb for $300, payed for my now one year old RTX 3070 that not even being used right now.

So, I been playing with the RX 6600 and RX 6700, I liked the new lower prices and free games as to update and replace what I sold with a refresh on the tech, and I have two gaming kids that need upgrades.

LOL camping out for some corporations overpriced product just to be the first to have it even though it's not essential or truly needed. HARD PASS. Consumerism like that is sad and disgusting.

Where's the fire? Why the rush to go get it immediately? Like it's not going anywhere, if you don't get it this week it will be available next week again, or if not next month or whenever, people need to chill.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
My question is though, if the RTX-4090 isn't sold out in one minute, and somewhat easily available, what will that do to the scalper market for the 3090 Ti's and 3080's etc... ? How low do you think those will go? Possible to see a $700 3090 FE?

My question is though, if the RTX-4090 isn't sold out in one minute, and somewhat easily available, what will that do to the scalper market for the 3090 Ti's and 3080's etc... ? How low do you think those will go? Possible to see a $700 3090 FE?

You mean like a new one? I doubt you'll ever see a 3090 FE for $700 NIB from BB.

LOL camping out for some corporations overpriced product just to be the first to have it even though it's not essential or truly needed. HARD PASS. Consumerism like that is sad and disgusting.

Where's the fire? Why the rush to go get it immediately? Like it's not going anywhere, if you don't get it this week it will be available next week again, or if not next month or whenever, people need to chill.
Cmon in a day to so there will be people all over this forum posting pics and benches of their new 4090s. Now it’s expected at the enthusiast level and there’s always the crowd that buys the best available and can/will pay for it.

This go around is going to be more or less “normal “ though with no crypto to help offset cost and people won’t buy multiple cards etc. As many others have stated with the current macroeconomic situation sales could really be slow after the initial FOMO rush this week.

I’ve got kids to feed and winter is coming so for me it’s not about having the money for a new toy it’s about holding on to my money for shit that matters. I’m definitely not alone there.

If I'm reading his benchmarks correct, @ 1440p gaming the 4090 is 28% faster than the 3090 Ti, and @ 4k gaming it's 33% faster than the 3090 Ti. The rumored RTX-4090 being 60% faster, I think was meant in reference to the RTX-3080. Overall reading the reviews this morning it seems the 4090 is approx. 50% better performer than the 3090 Ti @ 4k gaming, and @ 144p gaming it's approx. 1/3rd better

Last edited:
5800X, ha. That's the issue.

The choice quote of quotes:

The RTX 4090 is so powerful that I've reached a point where some tests' maxed-out settings at 4K resolutions have become CPU-limited, and that makes our usual slew of multi-GPU comparisons a bit moot. Nvidia suggests that all 4090 owners should upgrade CPUs and get system RAM up to a DDR5 rating, and my own tests bear that out. I still found meaningful distinctions between GPUs on my test rig—which sports an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and 32GB of DDR4-3200 RAM—and I don't think anybody shooting below the $1,599-and-up GPU marketplace should dump comparable systems just yet.

Time to upgrade your mobos, CPU, and RAM if you want to rock the RTX 4090 the best. My 7950X is ready. 😎

like this
Back