Are you buying the Playstation Vita?

Are you buying a Playstation Vita?

• Day one

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Waiting for reviews, but likely.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Waiting for reviews, but not likely

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • Hell no, I'll never buy anything Sony.

Votes: 20 23.8%

• Total voters

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
Testing the waters to see how it might fair. The PSP originally did not do so hot in sales, and never really took off. Vita looks to change that and it just might, I hate handhelds and even I might be a day one adopter.

It depends on the software library, there really hasn't been a handheld worth buying absolutely day 1 no questions asked, as most of the time you just end up waiting a while before the library gets strong enough to buy it. That'll likely be the case with the PSP Vita as well, although the launch lineup looks pretty intriguing.

Your poll option shoulda left a choice I want one, but when the library gets stronger, that'd be my answer.

For the record, I own a PSP Slim 2000 and a Nintendo DS.

Last edited:
I play the shit out of my PSP. But honestly 90% of that is Puzzle Quest.

Then why have you elected to put a "no" option in with the added bit about hating Sony products for some reason? I guess you are insinuating that if you aren't excited about the Vita you must be anti-Sony. Obviously the reasoning is idiotic which is why I suggested an option for the poll which you obviously overlooked. Some people don't give a fuck about a handheld console, plain and simple.

Your choice is #3.

4 was for the flood of anti Sony people here.

Eventually... not right away
It's got some great features, but i'd like to see more games. Don't care about Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance or Little Big Planet

I'm very likely to. At the very least, it will be a kick ass portable media player. At most, it'll have some great games :D

My choice is number 3.

That's funny because I don't recall waiting for any reviews or flat out giving a fuck in any which way. Your little poll is flawed. Sorry I pointed that out. Mend it or not, I don't care. Moving on.

Then why come into a thread asking about a handheld? Are you crying because you couldn't participate? If that's the case I assure you the next time I make a poll I'll cater to your needs and post count.

I'm very likely to. At the very least, it will be a kick ass portable media player. At most, it'll have some great games :D

Are you talking about Netflix on PSP Vita or something else? I think they are doing away with UMD's, I think they are going to put all game data on memory sticks and you will have to download what you want.

So you'll need to buy your movies from the PSN store, I'm not sure if they will let you do personal streaming (like the PS3, or a laptop can do), or not, but if I'm wrong about that, please send me a link where this is mentioned? You have me interested.

Are you talking about Netflix on PSP Vita or something else? I think they are doing away with UMD's, I think they are going to put all game data on memory sticks and you will have to download what you want.

So you'll need to buy your movies from the PSN store, I'm not sure if they will let you do personal streaming (like the PS3, or a laptop can do), or not, but if I'm wrong about that, please send me a link where this is mentioned? You have me interested.

I'm just talking about general storage/playback of videos and music. The PSP does that, so it's pretty much a standard feature in portable devices these days. I rip DVDs and transcode them as a hobby so I know what it takes to get great video at a decent bitrate.

The problem is that most PMPs have terrible screens. After having a Zune HD, I can't have anything less than OLED lol.

I'm just talking about general storage/playback of videos and music. The PSP does that, so it's pretty much a standard feature in portable devices these days. I rip DVDs and transcode them as a hobby so I know what it takes to get great video at a decent bitrate.

The problem is that most PMPs have terrible screens. After having a Zune HD, I can't have anything less than OLED lol.

Now I have a better understanding of what you mean, that sounds pretty cool. I don't think that was possible with the PSP, but I could be wrong, I never investigated much into doing that.

However, I did watch videos on my iPod and I do have some stuff on my iPad using Handbrake.

That's a pretty cool feature, nonetheless, especially if you're going on a trip or something.

Now I have a better understanding of what you mean, that sounds pretty cool. I don't think that was possible with the PSP, but I could be wrong, I never investigated much into doing that.

However, I did watch videos on my iPod and I do have some stuff on my iPad using Handbrake.

That's a pretty cool feature, nonetheless, especially if you're going on a trip or something.

Yeah, PSP was actually ahead of its time. H.264 has different profiles in the standard. Baseline Profile is the most butchered for low-powered mobile devices (most portable devices use this). However, PSP supported "Main Profile" which has most of the good features and that was 6-7 years ago.

To give you a better idea of how they're categorized, Blu-ray uses High Profile. I wouldn't be surprised if Vita will support High Profile too, but I'd probably choose a medium between quality and power consumption.

Yup, probably a day 1 item for me...but I guess it does depend a little on timing.

Yup, probably a day 1 item for me...but I guess it does depend a little on timing.

Out of curiousity, since you feel that way, what games will you buy at launch?

I certainly understand the appeal of buying a system day one, but most of the time, the launch software lineup is weak or has very few titles worth buying. That's been my experience, so what game(s) are you looking to buy, or is it you see one game you want and you see other games coming up down the line that you want?

original PSP has sold over 70m units, certainly not DS numbers but i'd call that pretty good.

vita launch line-up will be my primary decision factor.

This was day one, until I realized I haven't seen any games I want.
The 3G service is useless to me and now I'm not so sure about the touchpad on the back. If the screen was also 3D that might be going for it, but its not. Also the size is another thing, its really big, like Game Gear size big, thats not really portable IMO. I really need to see one, personally, and touch it, and demo it and play with it. I really don't want a PSP2, if that what it ends up being.

Very much wait and see now.

Will greatly depend on the launch titles , if there aren't at least 4 or 5 decent tiles (and at least 1 or 2 excellent) then I'm going to pass and wait.

Sick of being burned on weak console launches , I don't have the money to waste it on something I'll end up hardly ever playing.

I'll say this one last time, this is the last thread/poll about new consoles or hand held devices I'll respond to regarding this topic.

It's entirely software contingent, if there's solid, compelling games, fuck yeah count me in. If not, then fuck it. That's why the PC is so great in my eyes, there's an entire lineage of great games to play. Brand new devices require a lot more to get brought off the ground.

I will say this though, with two joysticks I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has a lot of 3rd party support for this new device.

I'll look at the reviews but I've already owned both iterations of the PSP and sold them on quite early as I hate carrying around two devices. This isn't gonna change with Vita and why the Xperia Play is so perfect for my needs.

Day one for me, it will be my home console and portable gaming device.

doubt it with Sony record this thing will lack third party support just like the PSP did (and I owned the fat psp from day 1)

Last edited:
Nope. Between my iphone and ipad, I have no use for a dedicated mobile game console.

Out of curiousity, since you feel that way, what games will you buy at launch?

I certainly understand the appeal of buying a system day one, but most of the time, the launch software lineup is weak or has very few titles worth buying. That's been my experience, so what game(s) are you looking to buy, or is it you see one game you want and you see other games coming up down the line that you want?

Uncharted and Street Fighter vs. Tekken would be immediate purchases, assuming both would launch with the system, or at least close to it.

Probably won't buy one near launch, if ever. If Sony/Ericsson updated the Experia Play with the Vita guts, I would really consider it. I don't want to carry around an extra device. My iOS device(s), despite lacking proper controls, are still very usable for mobile gaming.

In the meantime, gimme one of these with iCade compatible controls + 1 analog thumbstick instead of a KB and I'd be very happy: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Slide-out-Keyboard-Apple-iPhone/dp/B0052726IK

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't owned a handheld since the GBA SP, and that was only for Super Mario Advance 4 and Metroid: Zero Mission. The last one and only one before that was a Sega Game Gear. Sony would have to come out with some killer games to make me want to buy one for almost the price of a PS3. Read - not likely buying one.

nope, never been a a big handheld fan. Handheld games typically dont appeal to me and I'm rarely in situations where having one would be useful.

I feel like this is the handled device I have been waiting my entire life for. At 250? Yes please.

I bought a PSP because it looked very promising. I have NO intentions on buying a Vita.

It depends on how well/open it is to do things other than gaming, not necessarily a full smart phone replacement but compared to the Galaxy Player and ipod touch type devices. I don't really feel like spending this much and carrying around a device just for gaming only.

If it's going to be as exploitable as its predecessor, then yes.

werd, having homebrew on my PSP was one of the best things I've ever done. It really allows you to customize your PSP to your liking. Ebook reader, you can put a radio on it, youtube, even use a PSP phat as a universal remote, you can set a wallpaper of your choosing on your PSP, custom themes, etc, lots of coolness.

I'm hoping the next regular castlevania game will be for this rather than the 3ds. I'll buy whatever it takes to play the next 2d metroid or the next iga or iga-style castlevania game.

nope, never been a a big handheld fan. Handheld games typically dont appeal to me and I'm rarely in situations where having one would be useful.
I agree with this.

Didn't vote though as I don't hate Sony. You could say that folks like eon and I should just avoid the thread then, but then your poll is misrepresenting the [H] population... probably making the Vita look more popular than would otherwise seem.

Back