Are you bending your alder-lake?

Got my Walmart frame in today for $11 shipped.

Peak temp under gaming load and Cinebench load after 20 minutes was 86C for a second here and there, but mostly held 83C - 85C. This is running the CPU at 4.8GHz all-core using Intel XTU.

1662567574981.png

This Walmart frame is "identical" to the Thermalright frame.

Anyone know the actual torque spec for the fasteners, seems there is none for this frame? I have a very high end torque wrench to use to install correctly.

z3.jpg

Last edited:
I have had 2 of these plates for a couple of months. Finally installed one recently, for a kids build.

Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4.
12600k.
Got the $10 mounting kit for a Scythe Mugen 5, which I have had for like 6 years.
followed Gamers Nexus recommended method to install. The editing on their video actually kind of loses focus right around when they try to talk about the final tightening. So, I just made it feel similar in tightness, to the stock mounting system (I hand tested the tightness of the stock retention mount, before removing it).
No issues.

Attachments

• 20220903_164548.jpg
    20220903_164548.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220903_164540.jpg
    20220903_164540.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220902_221107.jpg
    20220902_221107.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220902_221033.jpg
    20220902_221033.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’m not sure what the torque specs are. I’ve been considering installing one and WC my 12700k for shits and giggles. I’ve read “two fingers to snug it up and a quarter turn after that.”

Any before and after temps chameleoneel or did you just install it from go?

I’m not sure what the torque specs are. I’ve been considering installing one and WC my 12700k for shits and giggles. I’ve read “two fingers to snug it up and a quarter turn after that.”

I did not do a before/after, for this build. Its a new build and I was too lazy.

However, I do have a 12700k itx build with an EK 240mm AIO; for which which I need to install the other plate. I will have temperature data for that one.

I reached out to old contacts at Thermalright and asked. See if we ever get an answer. Been a few years since I have talked to them.

I mentioned this previously but FYI FWIW: the Thermalright plates usually come with a tube of their TF7 thermal paste. Which is pretty good. I'm a fan of TF8. But ~ $11 is IMO, a good deal for a plate and a gram or two of good thermal paste.

I mentioned this previously but FYI FWIW: the Thermalright plates usually come with a tube of their TF7 thermal paste. Which is pretty good. I'm a fan of TF8. But ~ $11 is IMO, a good deal for a plate and a gram or two of good thermal paste.
No paste came with this one from Walmart. I have been using Prolimatech PK-1 or PK-3 for about a decade now and it has done me well. Just opened a 30 gram syringe that I have had a for a few years.

Peak temp under gaming load and Cinebench load after 20 minutes was 86C for a second here and there, but mostly held 83C - 85C. This is running the CPU at 4.8GHz all-core using Intel XTU.

View attachment 507724

Anyone know the actual torque spec for the fasteners, seems there is none for this frame? I have a very high end torque wrench to use to install correctly.

View attachment 507711
no known torque spec, the screws are supposed to just bottom out, according to GN....

no known torque spec, the screws are supposed to just bottom out, according to GN....
That's how I installed both of mine. I turned them back to you feel or hear that "click" that GN's video states, then just alternated torquing them down to basically just snug or bottoming out.

Never got an answer from Thermalright. Meh.

Going to install mine this morning.
those are, according to gn, the simplest ones. the screws stop and youre done.
did you happen to grab before/after temps?

Just got it back up and running, will run some tests here in a bit.

PXL_20220909_211754033.jpg
cool.
thats almost exactly the same spread pattern i saw on the 12900kf systems i built. i had a pa120 on them so i could test them while waiting, and waiting, on 360 aios. when i switched thats what i saw, except blue mx-5.

View attachment 507724

View attachment 507711
OK, just ran the same 20 minute test I did before, enough to heatsoak. Not to old HardOCP standards, but everything pretty much "exactly" the same.

Saw two spikes to 82C, but mostly bounced around from 78C to 81C, so I would say it gave a ~4C to 5C improvement with the Walmart frame, which is "identical" to the Thermalright frame.

1662763657122.png

OK, just ran the same 20 minute test I did before, enough to heatsoak. Not to old HardOCP standards, but everything pretty much "exactly" the same.

Saw two spikes to 82C, but mostly bounced around from 78C to 81C, so I would say it gave a ~4C to 5C improvement with the Walmart frame, which is "identical" to the Thermalright frame.
you word still holds(carries?) more weight than most.
not bad for $10, the spread should look better next time you switch things up.

Last edited:
10 bucks its wroth a go .... might have get one nice post

Worth mentioning, I used witness marks on the screws as I learned to in the garage wrenching on cars long ago. You can look close and see the silver paint in the picture. The two "bottom" lined back up perfectly, but the top do NOT. There is a Z depth change on the upper part there, so do NOT try to crank those around another ~180 degrees to get your witness marks to line up. For all intents and purposes, the witness marks are useless. I went by feel till it made contact and put another 90 degrees on it. When you remove the OE bracket, you will notice that there is little to no torque holding that in place. Quite frankly, it makes me wonder if the whole system would work better with no frame at all. I am not tearing it down again to find out, but if one of you feels the need to find out, make sure to tag me in your results.

Hello fellow non bent alder lake youth?? so I installed my thermalright frame along with a Peerless Assassin 120 over the weekend (new build never tried it with stock retention.
1663001184545.png
Anyways it has been hot here in SoCal and the room was ~26C running Cinebench R23 (10 min throttle test run) hotest was 79C idle 29C... I think this is *ok / decent?
1663001381523.png

Hello fellow non bent alder lake youth?? so I installed my thermalright frame along with a Peerless Assassin 120 over the weekend (new build never tried it with stock retention.
View attachment 509376
Anyways it has been hot here in SoCal and the room was ~26C running Cinebench R23 (10 min throttle test run) hotest was 79C idle 29C... I think this is *ok / decent?
View attachment 509377
1663024708930.png

no its not water cooled cold, so some may scoff, but its over 20c from throttling and well within spec. the last run i did with the pa120se was with a 12900kf in 24c+, it topped out with 2 cores at 84 the rest were 79 or lower. yes it was running full blast, but i was surprised by how "quiet" it was.

no its not water cooled cold, so some may scoff, but its over 20c from throttling and well within spec. the last run i did with the pa120se was with a 12900kf in 24c+, it topped out with 2 cores at 84 the rest were 79 or lower. yes it was running full blast, but i was surprised by how "quiet" it was.

From what I read I see a lot of these running 80s ... It has been very warm here so the house is warmer than usual ... I don`t wanna deal with AIOs so this will do for me.

The PA120 is louder than my old Cryorig H5 but it can only handle 160W TDP So it wouldn't have worked ... also they never even replied to my inquiry on LGA1700 mounting kit anyway. I'm not sure if was just being dumb but mounting the PA120 did manage to annoy the hell outta me however. But if it can keep me 20C+ from thermal throttle when it is 100+ degrees F here... then that will do.

So, the Thermalrights are okay, then? Anyone using one?

I did the washer mod but I was thinking of putting one of these plates on - the Grizzly I think is overpriced although I appreciate what it is. There's three brands out there now - I forget the other one.

There's so many of the aluminum (Thermalright) ones for sale now - does it matter which seller you pick? Or any recommended sellers?

I did the washer mod but I was thinking of putting one of these plates on - the Grizzly I think is overpriced although I appreciate what it is. There's three brands out there now - I forget the other one.

There's so many of the aluminum (Thermalright) ones for sale now - does it matter which seller you pick? Or any recommended sellers?

I have a Thermalright. It actually seems to do a better job than stock for sure and better than the washer mod in my case. I got one from Ebay for like $10 or something. Money well spent.

The one I got from WalMart and the Thermalright are identical.

I ordered the Thermalright version on Amazon for $12~ it is fine... There is a pretty good install guide gamers nexus did.. TLDR blah blah put cpu in socket, remove stock retention *keep screws for new anti bending thing... put anti bending think on board *observe arrow, place screws into holes start on one corner turn counter clockwise till you hear a "click" (screw falling into threads / not cross threading), do so for all screws.. Then walk it down slowly moving from corner to corner to ensure it doesn't apply uneven pressure on CPU...

1665504667651.png

Back