Are you a drive horder?

ep0x73

2[H]4U
I decided to round up all the drives I have that are actually still working and I have 22 drives in total spread across a few different computers of different build age.

They range from a Maxtor 20gig up to a recent HGST NAS 3tb in size and all sizes in between.
Maxtor, Seagate, WD, HGST, IBM and Samsung so I have all makers covered [besides Toshiba].

Most of the old small drives have practically zero value so tossing them on ebay is a waste.

What to do with all of these drives?

Many I just throw old files on and put them away so they do/hold something.

As platter drives are fragile I am leery to even think of selling them off even with good packaging.

I would like to be a horder with 2-4tb drives:)

Currently I'm on 12 hard drives... 10 in my NAS, and 2 in my 2 workstation boxes..

Currently I have about 100 of these at work. They sit in a metal cabinet. Eventually we will pay money to recycle them. Sometimes I test a dozen or so 256GB drives in a raid by setting up the raid putting data on it and then hot pulling drives to verify the raid can cope with disaster.

Last edited:
This is why I love UnRaid xD Whenever I get the HD upgrade urge.... the new drive goes into the workstation, and the old one goes into the NAS :D

I tend to only buy a new drive when one dies.
So I have very few old drives that work.

I dont like giving old drives away as its a great way to lose a friend !
So I generally keep them in use til they die.

depends on your definition of "hoarder"

I do have quite a bit of drives but they're mostly all in use.
fileserver:
4x3TB drives
4x1.5TB drives
2x160Gig drives (really need to replace the both of those with a ~120Gig SSD)

Desktop:
750Gig SSD, 750Gig WD Black drive (one guess as to what the SSD replaced) and a 1.5TB WD Green

HTPC: 60Gig SSD (formerly in the desktop) and a 320Gig HDD (both 2.5" drives)

also lying around are 3x750Gig drives (used to be 4 but one died after getting pulled from the fileserver, reallocated sector city, suprised ZFS wasn't throwing errors) and 4x500Gig drives. (plugged into an external 4x drive to 1x esata drive enclosure mostly for the hell of it) None of those are really "in use" at all though.

Horder in the sense you can't let go of all those drives you bought, like collecting comic books :)
Sounds dumb but I have a chronological upgrade path history.

Mine all work but are not working all the time and most are out of warranty so I just sorta keep them around.

Best shot would have been to sell them off when they had value, not wait years when they are out of warranty.

I have many useless ide drives that i need to be rid of. i wish i had a steamroller. that would be interesting.

I have many useless ide drives that i need to be rid of. i wish i had a steamroller. that would be interesting.

How about a simple sledgehammer? :) I used one on some old HDDs that I needed to get rid of. With a sledgehammer, there are no issue around doing a data wipe. Those platters, they got all bent out of shape, literally, plus they got dented and scratched. Data is safe. :)

I also used this approach on some old EXAbyte tape drive cartridge, with similar good reesults. Sorry that I didn't take any photos. :rolleyes:

I have maybe 25 drives, 13 in use and the rest in anti static bags in a drawer.
I tossed a lot of the smaller drives a few years ago since they were IDE and not worth storing anything on.
The drives in the drawer were replaced with larger drives and are basically now just older backups.
I do need to start upgrading the 2TB drives to 3 or 4TB units since I am almost out of space again on my main rig. I hate deleting files.

i have probably close to 40 drives in my house, My workstation has 4x 240GB SSD's (I run VM labs off them) and 2 platter drives(I'll be getting rid of one soon)

My NAS has 10, my HTPC has two, my wifes PC has 1 platter and 1 ssd. My daughters pc has 1 laptop drive, laptrop drive in my pfsense box. Two external 3TB drives for backup, Portable SSD drive, SSD in my tablet.

Meanwhile I have a ton of old drives I have to go through, see if any important information is on them and then decide what to do with them. Next to me theres a stack of 3.5 and 2.5 drives. On my shelf theres probably another 15 drives going back to Maxtor IDE days.

So no, I'm not a drive hoarder.

Yeah, I probably 10-15 old sata and ide drives in a box. I need to throw them in a usb case and recover anything worthwhile someday, then get rid of them. Probably tear a few apart for the awesome magnets, those are handy to have.

I still have a Conner 420 meg drive in storage I think. I finally pitched the 20-40 meg drives I had back around 2003.

I think besides those, only drives that had mechanically failed I pitched. If it was still working when I upgraded, I stacked it up in a drawer.

This is [H], the correct way to dispose of your old drive is with the 50 cal:D

I have hundreds of drives, some less than 1GB in size. I have all the old motherboards and CPUs and memory and AT PSUs to go with them.

I don't use anything smaller than 1TB except SSDs, that's still about 100 drives.

I used to have an old Wang 785MB removable drive next to my desk. 50lbs, 3 big-ass magnets and an eternity to mount.

Back