Are You A Cyberpunk?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, there are so many things wrong with this picture, I don't even know where to begin. I have no idea when this article was published but, given the fact that the stuff in that picture is at least 20 years old, I'm going to say early 90's.

It's hilarious to think, that with the advances in technology since that "infographic" was shot, you can get 90% of the functionally of all those pictured devices, in a single smart phone today... and with a bit of electrical handwork, you could probably mod a stun gun into a phone as well.

Also, the guy imaged looks like a John Romero reject!

So Virtual Light was published by Gibson in 94, and by 94 the term "Cyberpunk" was already hot and well known, games were coming out, movie deals were being made...then technology advanced rapidly and we outgrew the concept of "jacking in"......

Looks like this was published in Mondo 2000 which Wikipedia tells me was a cyberpunk zine out of California. Hard to tell if its a goof or not, but I think we can assume that given the timeframe, this dude was about 3 weeks away from shaving his head and going Grunge.

My favorite part is how they make fun of the pager ... the entire picture is loaded with "Yeah, Right!"

It's hilarious to think, that with the advances in technology since that "infographic" was shot, you can get 90% of the functionally of all those pictured devices, in a single smart phone today... and with a bit of electrical handwork, you could probably mod a stun gun into a phone as well.

Eh, I dunno, the monocular for 'shoulder surfing passwords' is actually perfectly valid as is. Optics haven't really changed since...ooooh, the 1400s or so, so...yeah, that's legit (as much as any of that is).

Pretty much the rest of it you'd get in any recent Smartphone, sure. Oh, well, except for the multimeter (??voltmeter?? rofl...)

The stun gun is just stupid, though. If your target or the fuzz is in a face-off with you, you've already failed as a hacker.

It looks like it was a Sony advertisement

Some of the Sony products shown never really caught on... anywhere.

Oh man, are the 90s considered "retro" yet? Funny picture, you can tell they had fun with it, thanks...

A similar picture for today would be a guy with strap bag and iphone in hand, right? Maybe a fanny pack? I dunno, I'm not too hip, just wondering...

If i was going to make something like that today.

AR Glasses
- Latest augmented reality graphical interface. No need for physical monitors.

EMP Emitter
- A gun or grenade that can take out the engine electronics of pursuing police vehicles.

Wrist Computer
- Contains the CPU driving his gear. With integrated touch interface for fast input as well as multiple radio antennaes for going online with the integrated facebook app.

Anything else?

AR Glasses

EMP Emitter
- A gun or grenade that can take out the engine electronics of pursuing police vehicles.

Wrist Computer
- Contains the CPU driving his gear. With integrated touch interface for fast input as well as multiple radio antennaes for going online with the integrated facebook app.

Anything else?

Yes! Sock puppets for distracting someone while pulling prestidigitation tricks to steal password covered sticky notes from under keyboards...and because sock puppets are pretty awesome all by themselves.

Step 1. Watch Hackers
Step 2. Watch Angelina Jolie in hackers.....
Step 3. A bunch of stuff happens
Step 4. This guy

Yes! Sock puppets for distracting someone while pulling prestidigitation tricks to steal password covered sticky notes from under keyboards...and because sock puppets are pretty awesome all by themselves.

Yes, but he's actually wearing them as well. Dual function puppet-foot socks.

When I browsed over the picture, the first thing that came to my mind was "That guy looks like he misplaced his Power Glove."

A lot of what he's wearing is reminiscent of books like Neurmancer, Snow Crash... This was definitely an early-mid 90's ad. Look at the Macbook he's got. Anyone else here remember those? They cost more than your life, and a 14.4K modem was like... God. lol

Also, the guy imaged looks like a John Romero reject!

What're you talkin'? That *is* Romero--right after he "sucked it down," after the frogs from Outer Space and Daikantana(sp?) So this is what happened to him in the aftermath--I'd always wondered about that.

God I actually remember this. It's just one of those paid placement things where they show off new products for cash. They just dressed them up as info-graphic like things. Sort of a spoof on the people magazine or whatever stories that would ahve the same formats with "are you a mall rat" or whatever.

Yes, but he's actually wearing them as well. Dual function puppet-foot socks.

Good idea! Though you'll want to put on most of your performances earlier in the day because the socks would get less appealing as time passed.

Soon as I saw the title, I knew where that came from. Good ol' Mondo 2000 and the early 90s, good times.

AR Glasses

EMP Emitter

Wrist Computer

Anything else?

RFID blocking wallet
Modern laser pointer
pico projector
fancy Smartphone
USB drive and or USB computer (FXI cotton candy etc.)
Shoes with wheels in them somewhere, I'm suprised the guy in that article wasn't wearing rollerblades.
Blinged out multi-tool

2083277924_32a8f36177_z.jpg

Enough talk you hapless techno-weenies! :p

Yes I am then I love the stuff in the picture and will still use it.

2EmeA.jpg

"This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, cheat, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto." Huh? Right? Manifesto? "You may stop me, but you can't stop us all."

When I think of the 90's idea of what a hacker or cyber-whatever was, all I can picture are the horrendous costumes they clowned those fools up in the movies.

"The pattern on this fabric is crazy. Get it in the movie!"

I had forgotten about that turkey. Though, I don't Romero was ever that thin.

I rock this gear to this day. Ladies stare at me in public. oh ya.

Back