Are wireless N routers worth it?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a linksys WRT54GL router with DDWRT firmware but I've been seeing lots of reviews for Wireless N routers, are they worth an upgrade?

Do you have multiple computers with wireless N capabilities?
Do you transfer files amongst those computers often?

If so, then yes.

Nope. Also, get Tomato for that router...probably one reason why it is still so popular and has a high resale value.

I don't think its worth it honestly, i mean, just see so many N access points capable of up to 300 mbps, but only have 10/100 mbps network ports on them. Now how stupid is that?

Nope. Also, get Tomato for that router...probably one reason why it is still so popular and has a high resale value.

He's running DDWRT, he doesn't need Tomato.

No, OP, unless you're running in to streaming bandwidth issues (local, high bitrate files like bluray rips) there's really no reason for N.

From a range point of view, over and over and over again...I've experience better usability at the limits of the range with N routers/APs...over their prior G counterparts. And I'm comparing against my 1/2 dozen various G devices that I've run Tomato and DD on...with output cranked up. The N hardware I have runs circles around the older wrt54g flavors. In my 3 story house, with the wireless in the center of the 3rd floor...wherever I am downstairs, with the N hardware ...pretty much full signal. Whereas with any of wrt54g flavors running whichever firmware...1/2 of the signal down there.

I've experienced the same at clients setup...ever since Pre-N/MIMO first came out.

Range is still more usable at the limits even if you run G or prehistoric B clients.

I don't think its worth it honestly, i mean, just see so many N access points capable of up to 300 mbps, but only have 10/100 mbps network ports on them. Now how stupid is that?

20mb/s vs. 90-100mbs? Is that worth it? 11g (11a as well) will get around 20mb/s according to published testing (and I've found similar at work) while 11n will get 90-100mb/s according to published testing (and I've found similar at work). Even if 11n could 300mb/s wouldn't 100mb/s be better than 20mb/s?

If you move decent sized files from computer to computer then it's worth it. If internet surfing then an 11b will be more than enough...

He's running DDWRT, he doesn't need Tomato.

No, OP, unless you're running in to streaming bandwidth issues (local, high bitrate files like bluray rips) there's really no reason for N.

Yeah he does because Tomato has features that DDWRT doesn't.

Yeah he does because Tomato has features that DDWRT doesn't.

..that he clearly isn't using / doesn't care that much about or he'd have it already.

@YeOlde -- I know you're a big network guy around here. I hate my Linksys WMP300N (I think that's it -- whatever their dual band PCI card is. I think it's a Ralink chipset. I love my WRT610. What card should I get to replace the trash Linksys card that'll still work well with it in dual band mode?

@YeOlde -- I hate my Linksys WMP300N (I think that's it -- whatever their dual band PCI card is. I think it's a Ralink chipset. I love my WRT610. What card should I get to replace the trash Linksys card that'll still work well with it in dual band mode?

I honestly haven't followed PCI wireless for a while....really the only stuff I do w/wireless is for laptops. I insist on Intel Centrino on the laptops, currently the 5100 'n 5300 wireless NICs..their performance is superior over the cheaper name brand wireless setups. Slighty better range, and far stronger ability to handle heavy steady traffic.

Intel did do PCI wireless for a while, to the best of my knowledge they disco'd those a few years ago, focusing on lappy wireless.

With the little bit of PCI wireless I've done in towers/desktops..I have had good luck with DLink 'n Netgear cards....I have noticed the Linksys ones don't seem to perform solidly.

Yes, N is definitely worth it if you get a good access point and a good N client card. 802.11n has some way cool features that G doesn't. N has MIMO which lets it use transmit beamforming that sends the same signal out of multiple antennas to increase the reception on the receiving end. This is particularly useful for communicating with clients that have only 1 antenna.

Spacial multiplexing is another feature. This takes a signal, breaks it up into several lower rate data streams, then sends each stream out of a different antenna. If your client device is N capable and has multiple antennas, let's say 2 in this case, then it would use both antennas to receive the lower rate data streams.

Do not get spacial multiplexing mixed up with diversity. Although diversity uses multiple antennas like spacial multiplexing, diversity is used to determine which antenna has better reception. Say an AP has 2 antennas - diversity determines which single antenna the AP should use to communicate with the client. Spacial multiplexing says to break the data stream into multiple streams and send them out all antennas.

Even if you don't have any N clients, simply having an N capable access point should theoretically still increase network performance. Also, N has about 32(?) data rates which generally means that at any given distance, your data rate using N will usually be higher vs a/g. For example, the lowest data rate at the edge of a b/g cell is 1mbps. The lowest data rate for an N cell is about 6.5mbps. So, with all things equal (distance, noise, interference, etc.), you'll probably get higher data rates at any given distance with N vs a/g.

Then there's also channel bonding and the ability to utilize the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands as well. The channel bonding pretty much doubles the available bandwidth which should theoretically double your data rates. In one simple test, I had an internal 2.4ghz N capable card in my laptop and a Cisco 1252 access point broadcasting a non channel bonded 802.11n SSID in the 2.4ghz spectrum. File transfers were holding at a steady 10MBps, which is something that I totally did not expect. In fact, I think the throughput was limited to the 10/100 switch port it was connected to.

I was one of those people who, 2 years ago, wouldn't touch wireless for anything except casual internet browsing. But with what I've seen recently, I have much more confidence in the capabilities of N as well as its performance. Finally, I can stream HD stuff without wires!

Back