Are we going to see good Intel processors anymore?

This has only happened partially twice, and completel;y once, I don't think that makes it predictable.
Well, this would be the fourth time.

The original IBM second source contract CPUs - session 1

The 486-Pentium Pro era - session 2

The Pentium 4 era - session 3

Now.

Well, this would be the fourth time.

The original IBM second source contract CPUs - session 1

The 486-Pentium Pro era - session 2

The Pentium 4 era - session 3

Now.
Not if you are including just AMD designs. They never supassed Intel until the Athlon era began in '99-'00. They were pretty much on equal footing (clones) at points, and shared some intstructions, but the Athlon run up to Bulldozer was where AMD made a name among enthusiasts. K7 and K8 pushed Intel to copy AMD for a change. K5 and K6 were good value options, but had some FPU issues, and really only on par, except maybe K6-III, but they were very short lived. Going back further, 486/ 586 were eseentially faster clocked clones. They even used the same motherboards.

Last edited:
Not to poopoo AMD's achievements but IMHO the current reason Ryzen is so competitive has more to do with Intel screwing up their fab tech royally. The fact that their CPUs are still "close enough" for gamers while being on 14+++++++++++++++++++ is sort of impressive on it's own.

AMD is doing everything they can to widen the gap before Intel can get their fabs sorted out. The real test will come after that. I don't care who comes out ahead then, I'm just excited to see what kind of performance we see.
a 11 year old 2600K still games well today hardly a yard stick for success.

The whole but for Intel screwing up 10nm is the same straw man argument as but for bulldozer AMD may have had Ryzen by 2011. Intel's 10nm failure is due to failing to understand the intricate and complex nature of reducing the node and having the balance of transistor density right, Intel screwed up the entire node design.

node size doesn't equal performance, ryzen started on 14nm L.P. but the reason for exponential gains is not 7nm which is the same density as Intel 14nm, it's learning from limitations and being able to fix them.

maybe if bryan kitchensandwich was less brazen about dismissing Ryzen in 2017 then he would have a job and Intel would not be making parts that have environmentalists screaming

Like battery? Yawn.
Not just battery, not even close!
The M1 smokes the i7 and i9 as well while using less power.
Can edit video with zero fan noise where the Dell's fan screams just during a video call.
No contest.
Can't wait for future versions with even more cores and memory.

Not just battery, not even close!
The M1 smokes the i7 and i9 as well while using less power.
Can edit video with zero fan noise where the Dell's fan screams just during a video call.
No contest.
Can't wait for future versions with even more cores and memory.
If you actually refer to benchmarks, M1 lags in quite a few behind 4800u and i9.

If you actually refer to benchmarks, M1 lags in quite a few behind 4800u and i9.

Real world performance with professional audio and video DSP work. M1 simply slaughters it. Amazing hardware. And it's just the beginning!
AMDs mobile would be best choice but still needs a GPU to compete particularly with video encoding tasks. And there is the issue with power (HUGE drop off when running on battery) and fans/noise.
Not everyone is a gamer or wants a 6 pound mobile! ;-)

Of course it would be silly to think Intel is just going to sit on their laurels and keep adding pluses to the same number! Competition is really good in that if you look at the price of the 18 core HEDT parts they've been cut in half. I'm sure a new Conroe is coming. ;-)

Maybe if Bryan Kitchensandwich was less brazen about dismissing Ryzen in 2017 and banged less subordinates then he would have a job and Intel would not be making parts that have environmentalists screaming
FTFY. Also, lest ye forget, Netburst was an environmentalist's nightmare from an efficiency perspective, moreso than their current lineup of CPUs. Remember Prescott?

Last edited:
I am hoping that Intel 12th generation Core products raise the bar significantly. Perhaps this will encourage AMD to release the Ryzen 6000 series late this year or at the beginning of next year.

I am hoping that Intel 12th generation Core products raise the bar significantly. Perhaps this will encourage AMD to release the Ryzen 6000 series late this year or at the beginning of next year.
I read the iGPU on Alder Lake would be something like 3 times faster than the one on Rocket Lake (which is already faster than the one on Comet Lake). That's one of the reasons I want to build a machine with Rocket Lake. I kind of prefer being able to use on-board video just in case I need to use a video card in another machine.
By the way, the on-board video on my i3-6100 Skylake (in my backup machine) is just powerful enough to play the last version of Unreal Tournament on low settings. I'm actually curious to try Unreal Tournament on a Rocket Lake. And yes, I'm aware people are saying to wait for Alder Lake but let's say I have personal reasons why I wanted to rush to build a machine. (I've already waited long enough for Rocket Lake anyway.)
EDIT: Now that I think about it, I had a huge boost in Unreal Tournament performance when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8. So in reality, maybe the Skylake could have done better in UT anyway. And yes, I intend to use Windows 10 in my Rocket Lake build.

I read the iGPU on Alder Lake would be something like 3 times faster than the one on Rocket Lake (which is already faster than the one on Comet Lake). That's one of the reasons I want to build a machine with Rocket Lake. I kind of prefer being able to use on-board video just in case I need to use a video card in another machine.
By the way, the on-board video on my i3-6100 Skylake (in my backup machine) is just powerful enough to play the last version of Unreal Tournament on low settings. I'm actually curious to try Unreal Tournament on a Rocket Lake. And yes, I'm aware people are saying to wait for Alder Lake but let's say I have personal reasons why I wanted to rush to build a machine. (I've already waited long enough for Rocket Lake anyway.)
EDIT: Now that I think about it, I had a huge boost in Unreal Tournament performance when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8. So in reality, maybe the Skylake could have done better in UT anyway. And yes, I intend to use Windows 10 in my Rocket Lake build.
by 3x more powerful is that Flops? 3x better than Rocket Lake makes it a 1660ti and that I doubt very much.

by 3x more powerful is that Flops? 3x better than Rocket Lake makes it a 1660ti and that I doubt very much.
Well, maybe both are guesses are incorrect. I tried guessing it would be between the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1650. However, by the time Alder Lake is out, the RTX 3050 may likely be out and some more demanding video games might be out. And I doubt a CPU like Alder Lake would produce more than $2 a day for miners. Besides, even if the Rocket Lake iGPU is more powerful than the Comet Lake iGPU, I doubt it could make more than $0.50 per day for miners.

Well, maybe both are guesses are incorrect. I tried guessing it would be between the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1650. However, by the time Alder Lake is out, the RTX 3050 may likely be out and some more demanding video games might be out. And I doubt a CPU like Alder Lake would produce more than $2 a day for miners. Besides, even if the Rocket Lake iGPU is more powerful than the Comet Lake iGPU, I doubt it could make more than $0.50 per day for miners.
if RL iris is considerably slower than Renoir there is no way AL will be entry to mainstream level with on chip performance. AMD will hit that way before Intel does due to experience

I've had to fix up and check over a lot of home built PCs the past year. Not one of them has been an Intel rig. Every single machine has been Ryzen. These are mostly people that have never built a PC before so that old addage of "People only know of or buy Intel' is long gone. People are doing their homework and buying accordingly.

Back