Are Valve And AMD About To Ruin PC Gaming?

I heard Rock and Roll was dead.

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating, and from what I've seen I believe 'em. Now the old boy may be barely breathing. The heart of rock and roll... the heart of rock and roll is still beating

I heard it on the News. Huey Lewis' News.

Dude its the real world.. the pc market is incredibly small now. Its a be happy with what you can get kind of scenario now.

Most games I wind up enjoying are either PC exclusives or were developed for PC and later ported to consoles/macs.

I can count on one had the number of console ports I have bought, let alone enjoyed enough to actually play for more than 10 minutes.

Dude its the real world.. the pc market is incredibly small now. Its a be happy with what you can get kind of scenario now.
The number of available PC exclusives far outweighs the number of available console ports. It just happens, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, that the largest-budget titles tend to be cross-platform.

And, no, the PC gaming market is by no means small. It's a larger market than any other single platform, certainly.

So, read the article.

They basically don't take a side. They say "things are going to change, and we don't know exactly how". The title is different than what they write about. <sigh>

This is just short sighted conjecture, nothing more.

Very clearly, an open platform in every sense of the word benefits each of these companies ten fold vs steam os / mantle.

While Next gen console are struggling to get 1080p, i'am moving to 1440p.. so.. yeah.. no.. euh euh.. LOL! :) Dev always agro on the most commun use product, while some receive X amount of money to implement X thing (AMD and Nvidia both do that)..

Yea, nV can't exactly cry with the 50+% of dGPU marketshare they currently own. Dev's won't ignore that, so I don't expect too many Mantle exclusives for PC ports.

I just checked--as of the end of the second quarter, NV's market share of Add-In Board GPUs is 62% to AMD"s 38%. This is a shift from NV's 64% in Q1. I'm guessing that is attributable to AMD's recent price slashing. Given their long-standing financial troubles, I don't know how long they can sustain that strategy. Unless 290X makes a huge splash, there doesn't seem to be much they can do to move the balance their way that they haven't already tried.

TL;dr: AMD only has a little more than a third of the market on the PC platform. I don't think that gives them the muscle to lure developers to Mantle in any significant way. This will be GLide redux, without the initial market dominance that GLide had,so an even faster fade.

Surely, the guys at Tech Report have made a typo. What they meant is that Valve and AMD are going to advance the industry forward.

Mantle should have happened 10 years ago. It's time for nvidia to make a move and embrace it, then open its drivers.

Surely, the guys at Tech Report have made a typo. What they meant is that Valve and AMD are going to advance the industry forward.

Mantle should have happened 10 years ago. It's time for nvidia to make a move and embrace it, then open its drivers.

um they cant its locked to the GCN hardware even AMD cant move far from that architecture with out breaking mantle support
if any thing it could hurt AMD
AMD is hoping mantle can get them 10 more years on a last gen GPU design
if any thing big shifts in DX or OpenGL and calls for a major change in GPU architecture AMD is screwed

if mantle doesnt net around 20% or better performance it is a failure
NV can catch up to 5% - 15% with a refresh
Maxwell will null out any thing less then 20+% and could still be faster
leaving the only then mantle would be go for is locking NV out of games whole sale

And look what happened tp Glide...

And it may still be around if 3DFX didn't cut its won throat...Nvidia made sure that would never happen after buying up what was left.

no 3Dfx was dumping it with Rampage would would of been faster then any thing up to the Geforce 4 Ti
there was no need for glide any more once DX8 and later DX9 came about

Don't forget that AMD is also looking at OpenGL optimizations as well. So they aren't just concentrating on their own api, but also looking at the open source and improvimg performance.

Thats true, the only reason they implemented Glide was to gain market share through securing exclusivity. It worked for awhile though.

glide was faster because DX was crap and OGL cost to much to support all of on a consumer level card

glide was very primitive compared to DX8 and 9 let alone DX10 and 11
it was built for a fixed pipeline and could of never been extended to work with GPUs like we have now

glide was faster because DX was crap and OGL cost to much to support all of on a consumer level card

glide was very primitive compared to DX8 and 9 let alone DX10 and 11
it was built for a fixed pipeline and could of never been extended to work with GPUs like we have now

Hence the updated Mantle api...can't wait to see it in action!

Zarathustra[H];1040283881 said:
...and typically Glide (at least in the early days) provided a better game experience than OpenGL (and later DirectX) on 3DFX hardware.
Of course it did. Yet the industry evolved past vendor-specific APIs for very good and very sensible sets of reasons.

Note the word "evolved".

Nvidia tried their best to have a closed api with physx, but it just wasn't not enough. AMD's mantle adoption rate even this early basically eclipses years of nvidia's best attempts at having their closed api become defacto and cornering the market.

Interesting that.

nVidia either refusing to provide hardware, for the value offered to them, or Valve knowing that AMD have better support under a Linux OS, and just going straight to them.

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

AMD has like no support in linux up to this point. I think they pledged to improve. But right now it sucks!

I don't think Steam or AMD is killing PC gaming, I think it is the PC itself.

Most of what you need to do can be done on an Android/Apple Tablet and Remote Desktop/Terminal Services. I can do 90% of my stuff with my N7 and my Terminal server.

With technology such as OnLive and such, why even own and build such huge machines (it's awesome though and some are hobbyists)? For the majority of the population, we don't need super fast machines to to normal day-to-day stuff. It makes sense to buy a $500 box for PC gaming then $1000 on one that is way to overpowered and overpriced.

Nvidia tried their best to have a closed api with physx, but it just wasn't not enough. AMD's mantle adoption rate even this early basically eclipses years of nvidia's best attempts at having their closed api become defacto and cornering the market.

Interesting that.

Apples v Oranges much? How does vapor have an "adoption rate this early"? We've seen no benchmarks. Its unclear if its even going to give much boost to mid to higher end AMD cards or just serve as a way to bring up performance at the bottom.

Apples v Oranges much? How does vapor have an "adoption rate this early"? We've seen no benchmarks. Its unclear if its even going to give much boost to mid to higher end AMD cards or just serve as a way to bring up performance at the bottom.

I think he's referring to those that have already signed on to development with Mantle. AMD has a great chance to prove something with BF4, but thats just it. They have to prpve that it's a viable alternative, and that the masses want it. We'll see though.

Don't forget that AMD is also looking at OpenGL optimizations as well. So they aren't just concentrating on their own api, but also looking at the open source and improvimg performance.

LMAO. Who are you?

I think he's referring to those that have already signed on to development with Mantle. AMD has a great chance to prove something with BF4, but thats just it. They have to prpve that it's a viable alternative, and that the masses want it. We'll see though.

If thats the case then I'm not sure an 8 million dollar wire transfer from AMD to EA qualifies as "adoption" but okay. We're certainly stretching the definition aren't we.

Also the fact thay Frostbite 3 supports Mantle means that all future DiCE games will also be usable with Mantle.

Also, its not a pc api, its a low level api used by graphics hardware. Specific graphics hardware that happens to be in both new consoles.

Back