Are unlocked Android Phones overrated in the USA?

biggles

2[H]4U
I have an unlocked LG G6, model us997. Previously used it on Verizon, recently switched to the MVNO Consumer Cellular using the AT&T network. On Verizon, I had trouble activating as the many technicians did not know how to get it working. At least one of them told me flat out the device was not compatible with the Verizon network. Now on the new carrier wifi calling does not work. This is because AT&T disables wifi calling on most unlocked Android devices. And unfortunately, the cell signal is weak at my home, so wifi calling would really help out here.

As an aside, I am considering getting an AT&T LG V30 in order to get wifi calling. They are currently selling new on ebay for $250. Worth it?

I have been reading about how great unlocked Android phones are the way to go. It seems like there are plenty of downsides, at least based on my experience.

Some people say it is great to have an unlocked device so it is easy to switch carriers. Verizon makes it hard due to being CDMA and they use whitelists. Plus some of the best devices over the years have not been compatible with them (examples, older OnePlus devices, Asus Rog phone). I do not have experience with Sprint, but hear it is also CDMA and not easy to switch to them with an unlocked device. AT&T, like I mentioned does not work in most cases with wifi calling. T-Mobile seems to be the only carrier that makes working with unlocked Androids easy.

Also the carrier phones sometimes have very good pricing when on sale. Buy 1 get 1 free, generous trade-ins, and big discounts for porting in a new line.

Edit: I forgot one more downside to unlocked Android devices. They get slower Android OS updates vs the carrier versions.

Back