Are these temps normal for Ryzen 3600?

mikey_rules

Limp Gawd
With the stock cooler, it idled at 40 and boosted to nearly 100C on my 3600. I installed a CM Hyper 212 Evo and the idle temps seem reasonable to me at around 30C. When the CPU boosts in games or benchmarks, it'll get to about 90-93C, sometimes under a minute. Wondering if that's normal? I have next to zero overclocking experience with AMD, so I haven't done anything to OC; all is at stock. I've reseated the heatsink and didn't get any differences in temps.

If it's not normal, how do I go about reducing that? Undervolt offset by 0.05 or some other way? If I should undervolt, should I use BIOS or Ryzen Master?

With the stock cooler, it idled at 40 and boosted to nearly 100C on my 3600. I installed a CM Hyper 212 Evo and the idle temps seem reasonable to me at around 30C. When the CPU boosts in games or benchmarks, it'll get to about 90-93C, sometimes under a minute. Wondering if that's normal? I have next to zero overclocking experience with AMD, so I haven't done anything to OC; all is at stock. I've reseated the heatsink and didn't get any differences in temps.

If it's not normal, how do I go about reducing that? Undervolt offset by 0.05 or some other way? If I should undervolt, should I use BIOS or Ryzen Master?
whats you ambient temp and what voltage are you using

Ambient is 21C. Voltages are stock; I can't remember voltage off the top of my head, I'll let you know when I get home from work. I do recall watching them bump above 1.4v. If it helps, my case is a Corsair Carbide 200R, with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans.

Ambient is 21C. Voltages are stock; I can't remember voltage off the top of my head, I'll let you know when I get home from work. I do recall watching them bump above 1.4v. If it helps, my case is a Corsair Carbide 200R, with 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans.
k. first thing to do is find the cpu voltage in the bios and lower it ~0.1v. almost all the ryzen boards are feeding them too much juice by default. you said youve remounted a couple times, tim spread looked good? fyi with a 212 you should be topping out at about 80c.

k. first thing to do is find the cpu voltage in the bios and lower it ~0.1v. almost all the ryzen boards are feeding them too much juice by default. you said youve remounted a couple times, tim spread looked good? fyi with a 212 you should be topping out at about 80c.

According to HWMonitor, Vcore was ~1.3v, with cores boosting to 4.2Ghz. In BIOS, it was 1.45v, though from what I've read that's normal while in BIOS. Went into BIOS and lowered it ~0.1v and offset to -0.05, but did based on BIOS voltage. So current voltage in HWMonitor is 1.35v, with cores always remaining at 3.6Ghz... hmmm is that the CPU auto-limiting itself or did I inadvertently set clocks there? CPU temps haven't surpassed 78C.

According to HWMonitor, Vcore was ~1.3v, with cores boosting to 4.2Ghz. In BIOS, it was 1.45v, though from what I've read that's normal while in BIOS. Went into BIOS and lowered it ~0.1v and offset to -0.05, but did based on BIOS voltage. So current voltage in HWMonitor is 1.35v, with cores always remaining at 3.6Ghz... hmmm is that the CPU auto-limiting itself or did I inadvertently set clocks there? CPU temps haven't surpassed 78C.
odd. undo both and make sure it goes back to normal. then maybe dont do both, only lower it the .1 and leave offset alone

odd. undo both and make sure it goes back to normal. then maybe dont do both, only lower it the .1 and leave offset alone
Couldn't get the cores to boost, just stuck at 3.6 Ghz... Clearing the CMOS got me upright again... and of course back to my high temps :D Will try .1 lower and leave offset.

Set voltages to 1.35v and touched nothing else. Highest on any core was 4.17Ghz, while they mostly hung around 3.8Ghz on Cinebench at 80C. Speaking of Cinebench, after a few runs, my average score dropped 200 points.

I guess I could leave it there, but I feel like I'm leaving performance on the table, though I've read several times that the 3600 boost clock to 4.2Ghz is rated for 1 core only, which I basically got on 1.35v. What else could I try?

Set voltages to 1.35v and touched nothing else. Highest on any core was 4.17Ghz, while they mostly hung around 3.8Ghz on Cinebench at 80C. Speaking of Cinebench, after a few runs, my average score dropped 200 points.

I guess I could leave it there, but I feel like I'm leaving performance on the table, though I've read several times that the 3600 boost clock to 4.2Ghz is rated for 1 core only, which I basically got on 1.35v. What else could I try?

These processors start to drop boost over 70C so as they get warmer and stay warmer they do not boost as high. They boost to the highest clocks below 70C. So that is why your score drops after a few runs. That cooled you have is nice and all but a better unit would yield better sustained performance, but if you are just doing light gaming and nothing really hard core processor intensive it probably would not matter much. Personally I have been through several coolers on my 3900X to get to the cooling performance that works for what I want, to keep the temps under 70C when I am using the PC. Sure temps will climb into the low 80's when folding for hours but during normal operation and gaming it stays below 70C the whole time.

That voltage is to high by the way. Leave it on auto and do a negative offset if you want. It is perfectly fine for these chips to sit idle at a higher voltage since there is no load. Normally when boosting all core my voltage will be below 1.3V all core boost.

Did you confirm your maximum FIT voltage to get to that 1.35v?

Went into BIOS and lowered it ~0.1v and offset to -0.05, but did based on BIOS voltage. So current voltage in HWMonitor is 1.35v, with cores always remaining at 3.6Ghz... hmmm is that the CPU auto-limiting itself or did I inadvertently set clocks there? CPU temps haven't surpassed 78C.

First you don't want to add an offset as that will limit your clocks, so yea you will lose clocks. Your temps are high because your cooler is on the small side.

Some casual reading...

https://hardforum.com/threads/manual-clocking-the-3900x.1997079/

Last edited:

maybe try just using an offset like jamie suggests. we he said is correct too btw.

get a better cooler, that's your only other options.. you need 65-66C or lower to hit ~4.2Ghz all core boost at full load just to give you an idea.. at about 70c you're looking at about 4.1-4.15Ghz, 75c about 4.05ghz and above that i have no personal experience with to say what it would be.

for my setup i run auto voltage @ 1.39v peak and around 1.36-1.37v sustained 4.192Ghz all core boost, 1.38v single core boost. for manual offset i can run the same clocks at 1.35v all core 1.33v single core boost, any lower than that and my boost clocks start tanking, that equates to my cpu running a whopping 4c cooler which meant nothing since it was still under the 65c threshold so i just turned auto voltage back on. the biggest thing is make sure you have at least AGESA 1.0.0.3ab bios or later the stock voltages have been fixed on most boards from that bios and later.

also, highly recommend using ryzen master over hwmonitor when checking cpu specific voltage/clocks, it's fine for everything else though.

Will read later tonight. I've read for a minute or two and I'm excited by the content already.

maybe try just using an offset like jamie suggests. we he said is correct too btw.

Tried only the offset at -0.05 and I think I'm satisfied with the results. Through various common CPU stressors at some point all of my cores hit 4.2 (once a core hit 4.4, odd) and temps never reached beyond 80C. I'm happier with that. And my Cinebench score dropped by an average of ~22 points vs all stock settings. Negligible for my use. I'm far happier with 80C than 93C.

also, highly recommend using ryzen master over hwmonitor when checking cpu specific voltage/clocks, it's fine for everything else though.

Thanks, I've read that a few places by now and will do so in the future, just wanted to keep using HWMonitor for consistency.

It seems there is a loophole in nothing but the Cooling glue pasted between the Fan and the processor.
What is the quality of the cooling Glue you stuck at the processor?

Update: followed this guide posted on another thread. The results are precisely what I was hoping for! No problems so far...

Stock: temps up to 93C
New: temps up to 73C, 6C/12T stable, boosting up to 4.4 Ghz. Temps up to 64C, 6C/6T stable at 4.475 Ghz.

Wow. And my CB20 score is up 500+ pts from stock at 3996.

As always at HardForum, I'm satisfied with my care. Thanks to all..

Using a 212 Black with the 3600x, temps never hit 70c boosting to 4.3 all-threads pegged at 100%.

- Everything stock, for frame of reference

Update: followed this guide posted on another thread. The results are precisely what I was hoping for! No problems so far...

New: temps up to 73C, 6C/12T stable, boosting up to 4.4 Ghz. Temps up to 64C, 6C/6T stable at 4.475 Ghz.

The problem with that guide is it completely ignores the silicon fitness controller. There's an actual process to arrive at your maximum safe voltage, aka maximum FIT voltage for high current loads. Each chip is different and the sensors and algorithms will adjust to each unique chip. Although 1.3v is under the general guideline of 1.325v, it still may not be kosher with your specific chip longterm.

The problem with that guide is it completely ignores the silicon fitness controller. There's an actual process to arrive at your maximum safe voltage, aka maximum FIT voltage for high current loads. Each chip is different and the sensors and algorithms will adjust to each unique chip. Although 1.3v is under the general guideline of 1.325v, it still may not be kosher with your specific chip longterm.
I think I finally figured out how to accurately achieve maximum FIT voltage, as there are many outdated threads and opinions. I enabled PBO. I used HWiNFO64, watched the sensor on SVI2 TFN on it, watched the voltage on Ryzen Master, and watched the voltage on CPU-z. All read pretty similar. I ran Prime95 SmallFFT. The highest voltage record on any program was 1.378, with an average of 1.369 according to HWiNFO64. So I hope I'm reading this right by thinking my max FIT is 1.378, but will set it to 1.369. Will try that and report later.

Update:

Set voltage to 1.369v and was stable at 4.5Ghz, temps up to 80C with CB20 score of 4005 after 6 passes.

So then becomes the question: Do I leave it as above or set it back to 1.3v, stable at 4.0Ghz, 73C? The latter seems tempting because lower voltage and lower temps, but from what I've read, under-volting can be bad too.

Opinions and advice are welcome! Let me know if my methodology isn't sound/I'm missing something.

1.37v-1.38v seems quite high. When you ran PBO did you max the settings? Whether you run which oc really depends on what you need or want. Personally I run stock with ram tweaked at 3800/1900 IF. That gets me 524 on r20 single core and 7000 multi. It's good enough to do everything I need while not taxing the cpu.

1.37v-1.38v seems quite high. When you ran PBO did you max the settings? Whether you run which oc really depends on what you need or want. Personally I run stock with ram tweaked at 3800/1900 IF. That gets me 524 on r20 single core and 7000 multi. It's good enough to do everything I need while not taxing the cpu.
When you say "max the settings" are you talking about PPT, TDC, and EDC? If so, they are maxed out at 500, 144, and 192, respectively. Will that help me find my max FIT as I run Prime95? And, to make sure I'm looking at the right thing, in HWiNFO, I'm looking at CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN), SoC Voltage (SVI2 TFN), or CPU Core VID (effective)?

Thanks for the link, got me up running quickly. Are you using Ryzen master to strictly overclock now and ignoring the bios?

Just got my 3600 setup and running and gave that guide a try, still on stock cooler but got it running 4.3Ghz at 1.2v, not bad for using the stock crappy heatsink where it loads around 80c.

3600.png

I believe my FIT is 1.28v @ 4.4Ghz, so I set it there for 6C/12T as well as 4.475Ghz @ 6C/6T 1.28 voltage. My CB20 score is still 399x which is fantastic, considering I did squeeze 4005 once with my voltage set at 1.38v.

Weird thing though: ran Prime95 and I thought my FIT was going to be 1.3v, but the MOMENT one core went onto test 4, my temps jumped to high 80C and voltage went to 1.28v-1.29v and stayed there the rest of the stress test. No other synthetic or real-world test quite stresses the CPU like Prime95 in my experience, so that's the only time at these settings my temps were in high 80s. All other testing, they've maxed at 73C.

Thanks for the link, got me up running quickly. Are you using Ryzen master to strictly overclock now and ignoring the bios?

Just got my 3600 setup and running and gave that guide a try, still on stock cooler but got it running 4.3Ghz at 1.2v, not bad for using the stock crappy heatsink where it loads around 80c.

View attachment 252778

At this point, strictly Ryzen Master for OC. It kills me to no end, as I've NEVER OC'd via Windows. But for these purposes, most sources pointed me to Ryzen Master. Different times indeed. Although, now that I'm stable I'm tempted to set a profile in BIOS with these settings and call it a day. Hopefully my experience from a newb perspective will be helpful for other newbs in the future.

Thanks again to all, and to thesmokingman for sticking around and reminding me to figure out how to get FIT. I've loved HardForum for 17 years; here's to 17 more.

Grats. 1.28v range is more realistic for FIT voltage. Now that you've found you safe voltage you CAN set it in bios.

Back