are these symptoms of a fried video card?

dooshbag

n00b
I think that my video card instantly fried on me, no warning whatsoever, no artifacts or anything. When I turned off my monitor everything was okay but when I turned it back on half an hour later my resolution had gone from 1024X768 to 640X480 without me doing anything to the resolution settings? There was a window that had popped up saying that an error had occured with the Nvidia control panel so when I restarted my computer all I got was the windows load up screen and then the screen went blank. Tried getting into safemode but it won't do it (I am pressing F8 at the right time). I can only get into bios. So my question is, what are the symptoms when your video card completely fries on you? I need to know whether my card is done or if maybe somehow my drivers were corrupted by a virus or something. Or could it be the CPU's RAM? Why would something like this all of a sudden happen out of the blue?

From my experience it sounds like your card overheated, with ATI it gives you the same warning and the same thing happens with 'VPU recover' if you have another card or can borrow one i'd swap it and see if it fixes your problem, then you'll know.

It very well could be a failing video card as well as other components. You can either this video card in another system or another video card in yours as this would be the quickest test. If you have two sticks of RAM try one at a time. Might also check your bios settings and ensure that your hard drive and cpu are detected and displayed properly.

XFX Support

Back