are these normal results from samsung magician

dhodson66

Weaksauce
i have a 5900x on an msi x570 tomahwawk MB and trying to work out any kinks
i have tws 4 gen ssds both 2tb. one is samsung 980 pro and the other a sk hynix. the samsung is the boot drive but both m2s should be gen4
using partition magician i get these results
samsung
read 6819 mb/s write 3591, random read 994383 IOPS write 478515
sk
read 6478 write 5762, random read 334228 write 256103

does this appear normal/appropriate?

Sure I guess.

Read is spot on, Write is a little low on the Samsung but it could be because it was recently flooded by Samsung magician cloning or lots of other factors.

Are you worried about some issues or what? You don't use throughput for health diagnostics if that's the case. SMART, drive Temps will tell you all you need to know

This is what my 980 Pro shows on my 5900X Dark Hero setup,
1674361530777.png

And the 2TB,
1674361583569.png

And a really worked over 1TB on a B550 board with a 5600G (Gen3 only).
Samsung Magician 980 Pro 1TB - Asrock Ryzen 5600G.png

I occasionally get this issue where the mouse lags on screen and I can’t figure it out. All temps for 5900x and 6900xt are good. I have two 4K monitors and this happens most commonly after a wake up but resolves with reboot

I occasionally get this issue where the mouse lags on screen and I can’t figure it out. All temps for 5900x and 6900xt are good. I have two 4K monitors and this happens most commonly after a wake up but resolves with reboot
Restart the Windows Explorer process in Task Manager and see if that clears it up next time it happens.

windows-explorer.jpg

thanks for the suggestion. i just made it happen by running new world. when i tab out to windows, it is slow to open the windows. it unfortunately did not change anything. I have 64 gig of memory so im hard pressed to believe its a memory issue. Looking at HWM neither the cpu or the gpu were even near too hot.

Have you updated your BIOS for your MB? Isn't there a known bug that causes stutter that is fixed with recent BIOS updates?

Interesting
I wonder if I just need to buy the module and try that out but I’ll look over the settings in the bios

Unfortunately it appears in the bios that tpm is set correctly meaning it’s on and 2.0

I would check task manager for cpu and ram load of different tasks. When you can reproduce the problem ex after a sleep/wakeup, end applications ex photoshop, antivirus app or a browser prior sleep to check if it is related to a single application.

Regarding benchmark.
The results indicate only a problem if they are really worse, otherwise they indicate only that the SSD is ok. The values are not real world values but short term values on either read or write. On real world you have mixed workloads sometimes steady workloads for some time. In both cases desktop SSDs are not as good as a benchmark may indicate. Enterprise SSDs are often better there due a much higher overprovisioning and other methods to hold iops and sequential performance high. You can improve desktop SSDs in a similar way with a higher overprovisioning ex 5-10%.

Effects of mixed workload vs performance see for ex https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-storage,4058-8.html
This shows that Flash (beside Intel Optane that does not work pagewise like flash but can write single cells like RAM to hold performance) is good only on 100% write and 100% read, bad on mixed loads.

Last edited:
Back