Are these any good? Hp ProCurve

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I am a Cisco guy through and through and as of late a lot of Juniper stuff.

However are these any good?

HP Procurve JE006A V1910-24G switches?

Home use. Gonna use VLAN 802.1q tagging, maybe play around with some L3 stuff for fun, but going up front to connect all my media gear etc....

It will be trunking into my Cisco 3750E enterprise switch in my home office.

I do not want a switch that slows to a crawl when having to process VLAN tagged frames or Layer 3 packets. For instance my current Netgear GS108T slows to a crawl when processing vlan tagged frames. I get maybe 60mbps throughput when it is crossvlan trunking to my Cisco which can eat any thing I throw at it and then punch me in the face performance wise.

I will be hooking the following gear :

WDTV Live
Playstation 3
Panasonic Plasma TV
Ocassionally my laptop (This is where performance counts)
A small standalone server (again performance)
Uverse receiver (needs atleast 100mbps throughput steady for DVR operations) My other 2 uverse receivers are on the same VLAN segregated from everything else on my Cicso 3750 Gig switch.

Heck I have enough port density on my Cisco 24 port, like 12 more ports open right now, that I can do separate cable runs to these pieces of gear but a switch can eliminate all that copper and cost with running lines.

In all honesty I could just get a low cost managed 10/100 Cisco like a 2960-8 port but ebay has some incredible prices on used and new HP switches. I just want a cheapy switch either.

The 1910 are fine for home use. They have a Web GUI that I don't care for (im a CLI guy) but it will serve you well at home.

What would be more enterprise. I absolutely HATE gui. Would like recommendation in the HP product pool. Thanks.

The 1910 (HP/3com) are a great little switch for the money. They have a very minimal CLI by default. If you want a full CLI on the 1910 you have to enable it. If you want something that will be more IOS like, get a procurve.

Back