Are there ules for friends/family who want to play on your PC?

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
What's the rules if your friends want to play on your PC?

"DO NOT CHANGE THE SETTINGS!
"Don't eat/drink by or on my Keyboard!"
"No looking at Pr0n!"
Here's a few of my rules that I always make sure they know.

One of my buddies always changes my settings on FPS games.
Thankfully, I know within a second or two of what he changed, but before this was annoying. lol
And true story, an old friend of mine admitted to wanking it between a CS match when I took a nap. So gross.

So what are your rules if your friends want to play or use your comp?

Do you let them at all? Do you shadow over them every second? Or do you take the seat and everyone around you just watches you do your thing?

I'm curious on how you guys operate when company is over.

Edit*
Bah, Apologies for the title, should be rules*

lol, I kept a spare computer for my friends/family to play on.

Had a friend who liked to put gay pron on people's desktop as a gag. Once of that was enough to kick his A$$ off of my computer forever.

Got plenty of guest rigs for friends and family.

My wife likes getting on and playing web based games. She gets mad because I delete the cookies and saved info all the time and she is required to authenticate every time. ha.

The only time anyone ever would use my computer is if it was a "hey, you should try this out!" and I give them control to try a game. Generally it's going to be a friend/family member that plays consoles.

My wife has her own computer, and no one ever touches mine.

No one will ever respect your property like it's their own.

The rule is don't even look at my PC unless invited to do so lol.

Like others have said, I keep a fairly updated spare PC or two, usually out of my main's hand me downs so I never have to give up my PC to a guest. My brother and I also keep duplicate monitor setups over at each others house so if we get together to game all we have to do is take our towers and go and everything else is there waiting to be plugged in.

My PC is hooked up to the TV so other people use it to play games and watch movies all the time. The only real rule is don't quit Steam Big Picture if you're using it on the TV.

I have guest PCs so no one really uses my main one, if they do I have 1 rule.

Don't access the X:\ drive...

Don't install games and sh*t from random websites. Don't click ads. Don't override my UAC.

If something breaks otherwise I could care less. ;)

One rule. Dont touch my PC.

I now mainly use a couple of laptops so they are fairly easy to track. I have a "family" pc for the Wife and Kids.

Last edited:
I have an older hard drive with Windows 7 installed on it for Guests...sandboxed browser and the free MS Essentials anti-virus...it used to have Vista on it but I decided to give my Guests a more 5 star experience :D

This is actually a situation that has never happened to me in a long time. The last time someone shared my computer was way back when I was a teen. At that time I had a 3.2GHz P4 system while the family's computer was an old P3. So my brother would use my computer for his gaming needs. I didn't really have any rules though. He never messed anything up.

I can't think of any situations where anyone would use my PC when I'm not there. Thanks to the Windows account stuff, even my wife no longer uses it (for a Blu-Ray/Netflix player) and instead just uses one of our consoles.

The rules are "My toy, hands off." :D

Seriously though, I don't share my main computer. There are multiple reasons, including having access to FERPA restricted info via work e-mail but a big one is just that I want to be able to use it on my schedule. I don't want to decide that I want to use my computer and then have to have an argument because someone else is using it. So if guests don't bring their own system, I'll provide them with another computer they can use.

Makes things easy and means there's no arguments.

My wife sometimes uses it to print things when her tablet wont cooperate. Thats about it.

no one touch my machine, i have two spare boxes in the house for friends or guests and girlfriend to use, printer is wireless, pr0n is all on my machine.

No one touches my system. My wife has her own computer. My daughter has her own computer. I also have an old system running Linux if a guest wants to get on the internet for some reason.

No one touches my PC cause it's in my bedroom. There's been a couple times someone has asked to use it for facebook or homework, but they know how uptight I am and wouldn't fuck with shit anyway, it's always just web browser stuff.

I have a laptop guests can use which floats around the living room, as well as an HTPC hooked up to the TV. Use those all you want, fuck em up for all I care. It doesn't take long to write an image to a HDD.

No one touches my rig, no FB and no homework. My wife and daughters have their own rigs. Don't like it move.

LOL, I love this.

You guys rock.
Maybe I'll try the "zero exceptions" policy from now on.

My son's can play on mine only when their's won't play their game. I have the better system. They have decent ones, but a few games need the better stuff. I have a larger monitor. Better speakers. So, I'm a nice guy and let them use it (at least until Christmas... ;) ). They've proven they use it without breaking it or causing any problems.

People usually won't want to touch my stuff because it looks intimidating. My main rig/gamer is attached to six 24 inch monitors plus a few other peripherals. Everything else is rack mounted so they don't know how to use them.

Back