Are there SSD holders for 5 1/4" slots?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
Upgrading from a socket 939 to a socket 1155. But in order to accommodate modern vid cards I have to eliminate the hard drive tray. So, I have to put the SSD's up top in the vacant 5 1/4" trays.

Is there a bolt in solution for this? Here's a pic of the case:

Thanks.

There's no need to "bolt in" SSDs, as they have no moving parts. You can run the thing sideways, vertically, diagonally, upside down -- it really doesn't matter. Just get some velcro kits from your local hardware store and call it a day, or even two-sided tape.

Maybe it's just me, but you'd really be better off junking the old case and running caseless until the owner (not sure if you) can afford to replace it. That is, unless you enjoy spending hours upon hours modding that piece of crappola in the pic when you can just get another and be done with it. And I'm talking more for airflow and expansion purposes, less aesthetics. There are some great cases out there for $50-100 USD, and if you can afford an SSD you can probably afford that as well.

There's no need to "bolt in" SSDs, as they have no moving parts. You can run the thing sideways, vertically, diagonally, upside down -- it really doesn't matter. Just get some velcro kits from your local hardware store and call it a day, or even two-sided tape.

Maybe it's just me, but you'd really be better off junking the old case and running caseless until the owner (not sure if you) can afford to replace it. That is, unless you enjoy spending hours upon hours modding that piece of crappola in the pic when you can just get another and be done with it. And I'm talking more for airflow and expansion purposes, less esthetics. There are some great cases out there for $50-100 USD, and if you can afford an SSD you can probably afford that as well.

Sounds like a plan. Thanx.

However there's plenty of airflow in this case. What you don't see is the side panel which has ventilation. It looks pretty bad here because I'm not using a modular PSU.

Silverstone sells a similar adapter as well. Several actually. 5.25" to 4 2.5", 5.25" to 1 3.5" + 2 2.5", 5.25" to 1 3.5" (external) + 2 2.5" (I'm actually using this with my 2 SSDs and internal card reader).

I got that same old Antec case...great case

also, yeah, the IcyDock stuff is awesome

This is what i use, really well made ********** AC52535-1S Aluminum 5.25 inch to 2.5 or 3.5 , there is also a version with 2x so you could have an ssd and mechancial 2.5.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the icy dock adapters, since the SM cases I use have 4 5-1/4 inch screwless drive bays. Two of my servers have only a single SSD (to boot esxi), so putting a 4-ssd bay in for me makes no sense...

I print my own drive bay adapters so 2 SSDs can be placed in 1 HDD bay

Back