Are there reasons to not jailbreak?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

I'm thinking of jailbreaking my touch so I can run ScummVM on it, but are there reasons not to?

Will everything work the way it used to? What things won't be the same? And will I be able to upgrade to official firmware once they come out?

yes to all of those.....

friends have told me it voids warrenty, but the only reason I can see it doing that is if you change your boot bios thing(with a program like boot neuter) to run the phone on say T-Mobile

otherwise everything works the same, App Store and all, iTunes does everything for it.....do note though that when a new firmware comes out all your stuff(from jailbreak) will probably disappear and you will need to re-jailbreak

I jailbroke to get tethering and SSH, but thats about it. Everything still works the same and Blackra1n makes it a very easy process.

When new firmwares come out you can upgrade, but you have to wait until the jailbreak community updates so that you aren't stuck with a non jailbroken iPod.

Honestly, I had a lot more dropped calls when I was running my iPhone 3GS while jailbroken. I haven't spent a lot of time troubleshooting, but it may have been one of the applications I had installed.

ive had mine jailbroken for a long time, still running 3.0.1 on it. Its worth it just for winterboard, but there are quite a few apps that are great as well.

What's winterboard?

The iPhone's home screen interface is called Springboard, for obvious reasons. When Jailbreakers tinkered with it and added features (like replacing the black background with a wallpaper), they called the resulting release Summerboard, because Summer comes after Spring. Summerboard was then superseded by Winterboard, because Winter is the opposite of Summer.

To answer your question about reasons not to Jailbreak, yes, there are: Jailbreak apps tend to be rougher on your overall battery life; you run the risk of losing support from Apple; and when new iPhone firmware is released, you have to wait until the Jailbreakers crack it before you can upgrade, presuming you want to keep the Jailbreak status.

The iPhone's home screen interface is called Springboard, for obvious reasons. When Jailbreakers tinkered with it and added features (like replacing the black background with a wallpaper), they called the resulting release Summerboard, because Summer comes after Spring. Summerboard was then superseded by Winterboard, because Winter is the opposite of Summer.

To answer your question about reasons not to Jailbreak, yes, there are: Jailbreak apps tend to be rougher on your overall battery life; you run the risk of losing support from Apple; and when new iPhone firmware is released, you have to wait until the Jailbreakers crack it before you can upgrade, presuming you want to keep the Jailbreak status.

Bah that stinks. ScummVM would be so cool!

Luckily there are some really good Point and Click adventure games on the app store as it is which I've bought that will keep me busy for a while

i have mine jailbroken as well and it is very easy.... the only thing that i notice is my 3g is a little slower switching apps and sometimes locks up...... and needs to be resprung more often than when it was not jailbroken....

Can I re-jail my touch easily? Or will I have to format and restore?

Can I re-jail my touch easily? Or will I have to format and restore?

Its fairly easy to upgrade when new firmware comes out and usually all you need to do is upgrade the firmware, reJB and then restore all your apps from a backup.

I've never jailbroken but I also haven't seen a reason to yet. Looks like the biggest reasons to jailbroken are to use a different GSM carrier or to tether.

personaly i dont hav touch but i read some tuts and all
and conclusion is their isnt a good reason for not to jail break :)

#1. Most apple employees are unaware of jailbreaking, even if they are they will not be going through your apps to find out if you've jailbroken your phone.

#2. If you brick your phone while its jailbroken, it doesnt matter, it will get replaced by apple...bricked means it doesnt work at all, you may get a recovery mode screen or alike but there is no way to tell that it is jailbroken when bricked. Apple will give you a new phone if they cant restore it.

I used to jailbreak my phone before the App Store went live, but it's not worth it anymore, plus it's always been an added instability for me, winterboard never liked to work, always slowed down the phone, takes forever to boot etc..

I'm totally over jailbreaking, it *breaks* the phone as far as I'm concerned.

Of course there is no other option if you're unlocked, oh well.

A jailbreak is easily reversed by clicking restore. So no reason to not jailbreak.

I didn't jailbreak mine because I want my phone to always work no matter what. It runs a stock configuration because I don't want to take a chance that some obscure bug will mean I can't dial emergency services or receive an urgent call from my boss.

That said my iPhone has worked fine as it is and I have had no reason to jailbreak it.

@DOH Every Iphone that I have owned performed a jailbreak on and they have all been fine. Jail-breaking doesn't hurt your phone and if you mess it up somehow you just restore it and all is fine

Never really been tempted to jailbreak my iPod touch (16GB 2nd gen), but mostly I just use it to browse the web at hotspots (during lunch and whatnot, I still don't have a smartphone and Opera Mini's a lil' cramped on my SE phone) and as a music player in my car during long trips. I'll play the occasional game while traveling but that's about it...

If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely love having BT for playing back music in the car I'd probably switch to a Zune... Which brings me to my on-topic question. As many of you may or may not know, Apple's Bluetooth implementation is rather crude and when listening to music over BT you can't skip/rewind songs w/a BT remote because the profile supplied by Apple doesn't support this.

Is there any way around that w/a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch? If so, I'd probably jailbreak it just for that. Right now I can play/pause my iPod from the steering wheel in my car (or take a call if the phone is also connected), but I can't skip songs. It's rather counter-intuitive, I end up using the phone for music playback during long trips (despite the small-ish 4GB M2 card in it) simply because I can skip songs w/o taking my eyes off the road thru the BT remote.

Back