Are there likely going to be new AM5 mobos released when Zen X3D releases?

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
My impression of the Zen 4 mobos was that they were lacking some features, and were costly for what they offered. I'm planning to make a Z4X3D build, and I'm hoping that there will be some new / updated AM5 mobos available at that time, and hopefully will be cheaper, too.

What do you think the likelihood is of that happening?

Personally I don't see that happening. I think they will probably wait till Zen 5 to release new motherboards.
There's 3 tiers of motherboards already.

A620 chipsets are supposed to come out q2? Boards with that should be lower cost, and may lack some features, but there's not a lot to go on yet. Maybe a chipsetless option like a300/x300 will appear at some point, but that's just my crazy idea. Not sure how a520 fits into the roadmap for x3d or zen5.

My impression of the Zen 4 mobos was that they were lacking some features, and were costly for what they offered. I'm planning to make a Z4X3D build, and I'm hoping that there will be some new / updated AM5 mobos available at that time, and hopefully will be cheaper, too.

I won't expect a new chip set til the 8xxx series CPUs come out.

Just so I'm clear. You are hoping that newer boards, with more features, will be cheaper than the current ones with less?

Good luck :)

To be honest, I think the B650E motherboards present a pretty great compromise between features and price.

AMD made a big mistake by launching the Zen4 with only the expensive 670 motherboards as people got the sentiment that AM5 would always be a very expensive option - and that impression stuck with the platform even today.

I want an am5 board with 2 or 3 m2 slots and the rest of those lanes as pcie slots! Even if they are pcie 3 or 4, from the chipset.

Cheaper and better is a thing of the past my friend.

Pick one.

Cheaper and better is a thing of the past my friend.

Pick one.

Well, AMD's Zen 4 sales have been poor because the platform-shift cost is too high for most people (mobo, RAM, CPU). And now AMD has reduced the pricing on their Zen 4 CPUs, while DDR5 prices have come down, as well. I hope AM5 mobo manufacturers will also realise prices are acting as a barrier to people adopting the new platform.

I saw some mobos I thought have a good list of features, and then I looked at their prices, and they cost $1k. That's not reasonable. And I don't want to spend hundreds on something that boasts the features of a budget mobo.

I'm on board for the B650E boards. They seem to have the features I want and a price I don't mind. I guess my only concern will be needing to flash one to support the 3D CPU's once they show up. That's gonna come down to the mobo manufacturer or potentially my local Microcenter being able to do it for me.

I'm on board for the B650E boards. They seem to have the features I want and a price I don't mind. I guess my only concern will be needing to flash one to support the 3D CPU's once they show up. That's gonna come down to the mobo manufacturer or potentially my local Microcenter being able to do it for me.
Maybe mobos manufactured shortly before X3D launches will come with a BIOS ready for it. But if whatever you get doesn't, flashing the BIOS to update it is easy. It's basically just clicking on the button to do it in the BIOS, while having the newer BIOS ready on a USB stick plugged into your PC.

Maybe mobos manufactured shortly before X3D launches will come with a BIOS ready for it. But if whatever you get doesn't, flashing the BIOS to update it is easy. It's basically just clicking on the button to do it in the BIOS, while having the newer BIOS ready on a USB stick plugged into your PC.
Some boards do this just fine. Unfortunately its not a standard feature for all. All of my recent Gigabyte boards had this feature and it worked excellent.

Last edited:

I've never had/needed a board that would do it sans a CPU, so it's new territory for me. The model I'm interested in (The ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F) has "BIOS Flashback," which seems to support that type of functionality. When I bought my 5800X and X570 Tomahawk, it actually came with a BIOS that supported it out of the box. Even the guy at Microcenter was a little surprised. He said they would do it for something like $25 if it didn't work.

The non-X AM5 Processors launch next month, in addtion to the X3D Procressors.

I think its likely that the current B650 boards will lower in price and at their current pricepoint----more B650E boards will release. The big difference is that most
B650 boards do not have a PCIe 5.0 graphics slot. B650E does.

I am surprised that only the top tier boards ($700-1k) support more than 4 SATA drives.

I am trying to upgrade from my Rampage V Extreme 5930k and Have:
4 Samsung 950 PRo 2TB
4 WD SATA Drives

Right there I am at 8.

Means I would have to find either an add in card or upgrade some of those drives to a large variety to combine.

I am surprised that only the top tier boards ($700-1k) support more than 4 SATA drives.

4 Samsung 950 PRo 2TB
4 WD SATA Drives

Right there I am at 8.

Means I would have to find either an add in card or upgrade some of those drives to a large variety to combine.
Nearly all of MSI's boards have 6 SATA. Even their "budget" pro board. They add an ASM1061 controller, for 2 extra ports.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-b650-p-wifi/p/N82E16813144560?Item=N82E16813144560

The MATX version of that board, seems to be their only board which does not have that extra 2 port controller. But their more expensive MATX boards, do.

4 Samsung 950 PRo 2TB
4 WD SATA Drives

Right there I am at 8.

I'm not sure how big your HDD's are but for under $1K you could upgrade to a pair of 4TB NVMe drives and a pair of 14TB HDD's. It's an expensive upgrade, but if you are still on drives from 2013/14 it might be worth starting fresh. You can also set the drives on a NAS and use 10/40GbE to connect your rig to the NAS, which will give you more-than-SATA speeds with the added benefit of decoupling your main rig's upgrade cycle from your storage upgrades.

There might be a new version of their current boards down the road, maybe in 2024 but I doubt anything new will come out in 2023.

As long as they have plenty of inventory lined up for the current stuff, no reason to add skus. There are a ton of options out there already.

Thanks

Have 3 2tb 850 pro
1 4tb QVO
4 WD 12TB

I guess I could buy some 18tb golds for the data and then switch out the 850 pro SSD to M.2 but would be great to keep the SSD and data drives.
I'm not sure how big your HDD's are but for under $1K you could upgrade to a pair of 4TB NVMe drives and a pair of 14TB HDD's. It's an expensive upgrade, but if you are still on drives from 2013/14 it might be worth starting fresh. You can also set the drives on a NAS and use 10/40GbE to connect your rig to the NAS, which will give you more-than-SATA speeds with the added benefit of decoupling your main rig's upgrade cycle from your storage upgrades.

Nearly all of MSI's boards have 6 SATA. Even their "budget" pro board. They add an ASM1061 controller, for 2 extra ports.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-pro-b650-p-wifi/p/N82E16813144560?Item=N82E16813144560

The MATX version of that board, seems to be their only board which does not have that extra 2 port controller. But their more expensive MATX boards, do.
Sounds like MSI is the way to go I have always been partial to ASUS or Gigabyte. I really wanted to ensure the incoming 4090 was on 5.0 and I had enough SATA space as I slowly move to M.2.

I felt the Samsung SSD's were fast enough for gaming. With this new board would you really so as much of an Increase on the drive side. Figure the gpu is more with the investment ya know? That's where I was personally trying to save.

The biggest blunder with platform costs is that AMD requires some level of PCIE 5.0 with B650, which seems silly in my book.

The biggest blunder with platform costs is that AMD requires some level of PCIE 5.0 with B650, which seems silly in my book.

Maybe they'll put out something like the A300 where there's no chipset at all. The CPU has a bunch of junk built in, you don't really need a chipset IMHO, especially if you want to keep costs low.

Back