Are There *Any* Solid RPG Titles On The Horizon?

Speaking of RPG's....

Is there any RPG's two people can play on a lan together? My wife and I had a lot of fun back in the day playing Baulders Gate 2, and I was a bit disappointed that Dragon Age didn't have a lan mode.

Already have NWN 1/2 and BG 1/2. Looking for something different.

Anything somewhat new that allowed a second player to join in even if they only controlled one member of the team and followed your story?

Here is the obligatory Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines reference.

Get the game + latest patch and play this game if you have not already.

I'll 2nd this, I was surprised at how much fun this game was.

I played DA:O for the first few hours, and the one thing I could not get over was how clumsy the combat system was.

The problem I have with DA:O real-time combat is that AIs still suck just as bad as they did 20 years ago - you either have to constantly interrupt combat to control allies yourself, or constantly interrupt combat to change ally tactics (you pause combat so often, it might as well be turn-based). And things began to fee repetitive and boring when I realized that my allies were all basically targets and would always regenerate after battle.

The combat ruined an otherwise stellar game. The storyline and characters were excellent, but I could not stomach the combat.

On the contrary I thought DAO's combat system was evolution at its best. The game was not meant to be played in realtime (unless on Easy), you know that right? (I think it even tells you that when picking difficulties) The game is 100% absolutely about micro'ing every combat encounter, using tactics for to manage team AI, pausing combat to issue orders and the like.

It actually takes a few hours to settle in because its so hardcore and in your face. Once you accept what its supposed to be and not what you want it to be ... it washes over you.

DAO is the best RPG I've played in the past decade.

Yeah but the combat can still be broken at times because if you put them on hold they sometimes just stand there like idiots, if you have them running free they do daft things and tactics are bloody hard to get right that you are better off, at least for the main character disabling them and setting everything up as the fight starts.

There should be a balance between freely moving about and not standing there whilst the team gets slaughtered. The worst part is I am on my third playthrough and have spent about 140 hours on this game and I can't help but keep loading it up. I am even thinking about trying to get all the acheivements, I need help.

Is Drakensang somewhat like NWN2?

Yes, very much so, but it's a little bit more playful. I think you'd be surprised by the art-direction. It's a really nice looking game.

And yes, the sequel, which time-wise in the gameworld is actually a prequel, has already been released in Germany. I'm distraught that I can't find out about a North American release date, as it will be a day one purchase for me, easily.

Some nice screenshots here:

http://www.google.ca/images?client=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQsAQwAw

And I like this video (of Drakensang 2), although this doesn't actually do the engine justice. The developer uses super high textures for this game, that lends it a storybook feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwOkzQRWWXU

See. Pretty sweet, huh. Damn, I feel like re-playing the original now.

Keep in mind that D2D is having a Spring sale, and that on Monday it will be the 4'th and final week of the sale.

But Risen is back up on sale.

Worth it even at $40? - just my opinion here, but absolutely yes. Risen was my personal favorite game of last year.

http://www.direct2drive.com/3/8561/product/Buy-Risen-Download

EDIT: But don't buy it until at least Monday night, because it might go on sale - though I personally doubt it.

Personally I LOVE AoC. It was bad at launch, but, I didnt play it then :D. Its really really good now. You should definitely reconsider it.

Thanks Wabe, looks interesting, what did you like better about Drakensang over Dragon Age?

Thanks Wabe, looks interesting, what did you like better about Drakensang over Dragon Age?

The world seemed a lot less claustrophobic to me - the fantasy setting seemed to be drawn out by the art style, which reminded me of a children's storybook. I liked taking control of one character and just going in and duking it out, and having each of my other party members just doing their thing.

But take a good long look at the video posted above - that's Drakensang 2, but the original looks and plays just like that. Some people didn't like this game too much, whereas others just loved it.

The thing is, Drakensang has been on sale for $5 a number of times now. Will D2D have another sale soon? Yeah, probably they will. Maybe even on Monday.

This is a great thread. I have a question to add. Anyone know of any recent hack and slash or action RPGs out there? I've been playing mainly titan quest and torchlight. Was just wondering if there are any others out there worth checking out. Even something on the PS3?

except if you play it like a hack and slash you will be slaughtered.

Hehe true true. I like games that challenge you so it definitely isn't for everyone. It took me almost 3 days to just get past the first level with a Wanderer.

The world seemed a lot less claustrophobic to me - the fantasy setting seemed to be drawn out by the art style, which reminded me of a children's storybook. I liked taking control of one character and just going in and duking it out, and having each of my other party members just doing their thing.

But take a good long look at the video posted above - that's Drakensang 2, but the original looks and plays just like that. Some people didn't like this game too much, whereas others just loved it.

The thing is, Drakensang has been on sale for $5 a number of times now. Will D2D have another sale soon? Yeah, probably they will. Maybe even on Monday.

I purchased Drakensang couple weeks ago at Best Buy for $8.99, so if you have a Best Buy and want to get a hard copy you might do that.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am still playing Dragon Age...damn I am slow (I skip games alot but I eventually finish them...).

I second Alpha Protocol, it's one of my more highly anticipated games this year.

I third it, even though I firsted it earlier. The only thing that worries me a bit is that we haven't seen much footage.

The still life screenshots however look extremely dated to me. I have no idea what engine Obsidian used, but it doesn't exactly look mind blowing.

That said, leveling up an espionage character would be something truly unique. This game could potentially break new ground and really freshen up the RPG genre. This could potentially be my game of the summer.

Man oh man, have I ever got my fingers crossed for this one. Well, we'll know in a month.

Day one for me. I'm just going to go in fresh, and decide for myself - meaning no reviews for this one.

I third it, even though I firsted it earlier. The only thing that worries me a bit is that we haven't seen much footage.

The still life screenshots however look extremely dated to me. I have no idea what engine Obsidian used, but it doesn't exactly look mind blowing.

That said, leveling up an espionage character would be something truly unique. This game could potentially break new ground and really freshen up the RPG genre. This could potentially be my game of the summer.

Man oh man, have I ever got my fingers crossed for this one. Well, we'll know in a month.

Day one for me. I'm just going to go in fresh, and decide for myself - meaning no reviews for this one.

It's gonna be day one for me as well, actually I am going to get it regardless of the review scores. Well, unless it gets like a 5/10 or something. Yeah the graphics are nothing to write home about, but I think I can live with it.

I just want to play a modern day spy RPG.

According to Wiki its using UE3. which explains quite a bit about why it looks dated. Either way, game does look interesting. If I don't pick it up right away I'm sure I will soon after it releases. Seems like a game that will be worth the money. I just hope all this extra time Sega has given Obsidian means the game won't be really buggy.

This is a great thread. I have a question to add. Anyone know of any recent hack and slash or action RPGs out there? I've been playing mainly titan quest and torchlight. Was just wondering if there are any others out there worth checking out. Even something on the PS3?

Nothing recent springs to mind, but then I don't really go in for action RPG's too much. I do have Torchlight, but so far I've been unable to get into it.
Last good a-RPG I played was Avencast which is a few years old now - solid game to just pick up and put down at a whim. Opening stage is a bit meh, but it's fairly cheap on Steam and worth a punt - I enjoyed it more than Titan Quest fwiw. Going back further, Divine Divinity was the pinnacle of Diablo-esque titles imo. Obviously looks dated, but great music and little touches here and there. Icewind Dale 2 was a good 'halfway house', and with the widescreen fix you can get that and the other Infinity Engine games running nicely in high resolution which really makes the graphics look a lot nicer (they hold up rather well, with the exception of the player sprites).

With Bethsoft and Bioware, you can generally guess what you're going to get, but Obsidian is volatile. You never know what you're going to get. That can be a very good thing and a bad thing. Although it sucks that while they are always making stuff someone else is the pulling their strings.

Back