are there any IPS's with 'real' blacks and none of that 'IPS glow'?

Will_D

n00b
Hi, I'm new to LCD tech so I apologize if this is a bit of a noob question.

Which - if any - IPS screens can do really good blacks and don't suffer from that 'IPS glow'?

and it would be a bonus if it didn't have an AG coating that's like a frosted glass window!

and double bonus if it is under 27"

eager for some responses :D

OH, and I almost forgot; I mean real black level, not blacks when the backlight is dimmed. dynamic backlighting is too distracting and awful, I could never use it.

You can't have real blacks on LCDs. VA panels are better on that regard but it's still not real blacks at all.

As for IPS glow it can be greatly reduced (which doesn't mean eliminated) on monitors with an ATW polarizer (they are also a lot more expensive and not so common)

Last edited:
An A-MVA LCD will be as close as you get to real blacks.

There are some IPS panels that can manage 1200:1 or so contrast, so it may have 'okay-ish' blacks. But you will still get IPS glow and there is some variability (quite a bit, actually) as to contrast amongst the same panels.

Monitors like the NEC 2490 (which isn't made anymore) that have the polarizer, have no IPS glow. It's actually really nice angle-wise (looking at one now). But... blacks still stink on it. No glow, no bleed, but it's not going to have real blacks, or even S-PVA quality blacks.

The iPhone/iPad have decent blacks :) But having tried 2 different brands of IPS monitors and replacements I couldn't find an IPS without any excessive light bleed/glow.

Ended up going with a A-MVA panel. Excellent blacks/contrast and color. Not as fast response time as my last TN panel, but no ghosting to complain about. I have to say when I had my ASUS VE278Q TN it had very good blacks for a TN panel and decent contrast.. But it lacked it color reproduction obviously.

Last edited:
I've owned both the S-PVA S2243W Eizo (22" WUXGA) and the Nec 2490. While PVA is (was) endorsed for it's lower black levels, it didn't appear "uniform" in real life because of the narrrower viewing angles when sitting right in front of it. Result = in real life not observable better blacks.

Are you sure what you want is really IPS?
If you want low black levels and decent colors: MVA.
If you value viewing angles and color stability more important: IPS.

@tk-don

I have wondered a bit about 'contrast shift' or whatever it is called, on VA panels, where the center of the screen on a VA will appear darker than the sides. I recall some BenQ 2450 owners commenting on it... just curious if the newer panels (such as the Dell S series) has the same issue or not.

As for S-PVA, I haven't seen it in widescreen, but at 4:3, the blacks are definitely better than the 2490 -- I have one next to my 2490 right now., so it's, well, easy to observe. VAs do seem to be better off in a square format rather than widescreen due to horizontal issues though.

For the OP, I suggest going to BB, or any local retailer, that carries the Dell S series. Compare the 24"er to the 23" or 27" models. The first is A-MVA, the other two are IPS. None have a heavy coating (or any coating at all, full glossy). See which you like best. They of course won't be set up correctly, nor be in proper lighting conditions, but at least you can take a look at them firsthand.

OP use the forum search feature and search for BenQ to see some of the more recent A-MVA panel threads. BenQ has a few inexpensive models that fit the criteria you posted, both 24" and 27" sizes.

Edit: i see you've already discovered them in your other thread.

If you are more concerned with blacks and panel glow, then personally i would take a pass on IPS. It all depends on what you prefer the most because every panel tech has it's compromises.

Last edited:
@Namelessme

Hmm, well, if the monitor can be set to a lower brightness level than the 2490 (which can't be set very low compared to most monitors) then the black levels will be better/lower.

The "good" thing is that CCFLs lose brightness over time. The contrast ratio ought to be indistinguishable, but the S-PVA may look more vivid if it crushes blacks, subjectively making the contrast ratio appear higher. :)
But it seems as if S-PVA is more or less "dead" these days?

@tk-don
Actually the S-PVA next to it (21.3" Eizo) is set a bit brighter than the 2490, yet still has a darker black. I won't say it's an amazing difference, but it is obvious when comparing them.

I also have a baby-sized NEC 1990 (PVA) which I have compared to the 2490, and it definitely has darker blacks. I don't have a calibratror, but the 2490 contrast probably is around 700-750:1 (at best). The Eizo would be 1000:1 (again, paper specs), and baby-sized NEC around 1500:1. I haven't noticed any real black crush from them either.

And yeah, S-PVA is pretty much dead. It's still used in some monitors that are in production from NEC and Eizo, but not sure if anywhere else. C-PVA appears dead too. A-MVA is the current king.

If you have very bright lighting (100 watts+ or lots of external light coming in) then 700:1 @120/140 nits will appear to be black. I now currently use a 125w light bulb since I have 2x 1440p IPS/PLS.

I used to have a 60w light bulb and my old 275T did 1100:1 @140cdm/2 while my old LG W2442PA did 850:1, big difference. Same thing, had my glossy CrossOver 27Q LED-P which only did 700:1 next to my glossy TN which did 900:1. The CrossOver could not produce blacks with the lights on (sold it) and the PA238Q I had for a while only did 500:1 once calibrated (120 nits) and it was horrible.

I've also had a BenQ XL2420T (1000:1) next to my Samsung S27A850D (850:1) at 120 nits and the black difference was obvious.

In my experience, a difference of 150:1 is noticeable when both displays are set to the same brightness with the lights. Since I don't have my C-PVA F2380MX at home any more, I've been afraid to finish Amnesia due to IPS/PLS glow, and it's definitely a lights off type of game. I'm glad I beat Metro 2033 on my C-PVA F2380MX with the lights off in 2010.

Last edited:
Answer: no

Solution c-pva pane or mva panel or a plasma

Look at the Dell 2440l if you like blacks and glossy

Back