Are there any desktop monitors which allow Windows to adjust the brightness?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Windows 10 recently updated to allow people to adjust the brightness of their screen via a slider found in the action center. I have a few monitors but I've never been able to get this slider to work on any. My thinking is that this only comes up on laptops since laptops have always controlled their settings via Windows first party software.

The main monitor I use is an LG. LG has a program that lets you change settings on the monitor however just to adjust the brightness, you have to click through many screens and button presses to acomplish this simple feat. I'd kill for a slider in the action center.

Are there any desktop PC monitors that allow Windows to change their brightness with their built in slider?

I doubt there are any yet. They'd need a firmware update to allow windows to dim for them. Presumably that could be done for existing monitors, but given how few monitors have user updatable firmware, that seems unlikely.

You would think computers could do this. Good point. Never thought about it :)

You would think computers could do this. Good point. Never thought about it :)

This has been a function in macOS for well over a decade. It's been on F1 and F2 (brightness up and down) on the keyboard.

---

With that in mind, technically all Cinema Displays, the Thunderbolt Display, and LG's 5k Thunderbolt display all have this functionality.

Whether the hardware and the software will line up properly is another question.

EDIT: It's also pretty likely that every LG monitor that takes USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 for input also has this functionality. At least on the macOS side.

I've not read up on how it's implemented, but is it actually dimming the back light or just adjusting the output signal? Like how audio works. You adjust your speakers to whatever volume you want to be max with Windows volume at 100%, and then use Windows (or software) to "control" the volume. In which case, it would work with any monitor.

I've not read up on how it's implemented, but is it actually dimming the back light or just adjusting the output signal? Like how audio works. You adjust your speakers to whatever volume you want to be max with Windows volume at 100%, and then use Windows (or software) to "control" the volume. In which case, it would work with any monitor.

I can't speak for the Windows implementation, but in macOS it's actually hardware controlling the backlight. Most Apple monitors don't even have buttons. Not even a power button. It's all controlled through software via the OS. Which is one of the issues with trying to use an Apple display on a PC. Short of Bootcamp, there haven't been drivers to properly control the displays brightness or (in a lot of cases with speakers built in) audio settings.

This obviously has benefits and also issues. The greatest benefit is that hardware calibration software can literally change every parameter without user input. My i1 Display Pro can change all the RGB settings, set the luminance, and change contrast without me fiddling with display buttons. The downside of course is that there isn't any advance tweaking either. I'm not exactly digging into hidden OSD features.

I'm sure in a perfect world on the PC side especially it would be nice to have both the buttons as well as full software control. With the advent of USB 4/Displayport 2.0, I'm sure more monitors, if not all monitors will support this functionality in Windows. Of course how long it will take for monitors to adopt this updated technology is anyones guess.

It turns out Apple's long term gamble into Thunderbolt benefitted the entire PC community. Even if it took 8 years, dragging, and kicking and screaming.

Last edited:
this thread got me thinking because I remembered that VESA Display Data Channel/DDC was/is a thing and eventually I found a couple of solutions- search for "ClickMonitorDDC" and "ScreenBright", both worked to control actual brightness/contrast on my AOC C24G1 thru DisplayPort and HDMI but didn't work on my HP 22cwa. Worth giving it a shot

I can't speak for the Windows implementation, but in macOS it's actually hardware controlling the backlight. Most Apple monitors don't even have buttons. Not even a power button. It's all controlled through software via the OS. Which is one of the issues with trying to use an Apple display on a PC. Short of Bootcamp, there haven't been drivers to properly control the displays brightness or (in a lot of cases with speakers built in) audio settings.

This obviously has benefits and also issues. The greatest benefit is that hardware calibration software can literally change every parameter without user input. My i1 Display Pro can change all the RGB settings, set the luminance, and change contrast without me fiddling with display buttons. The downside of course is that there isn't any advance tweaking either. I'm not exactly digging into hidden OSD features.

I'm sure in a perfect world on the PC side especially it would be nice to have both the buttons as well as full software control. With the advent of USB 4/Displayport 2.0, I'm sure more monitors, if not all monitors will support this functionality in Windows. Of course how long it will take for monitors to adopt this updated technology is anyones guess.

It turns out Apple's long term gamble into Thunderbolt benefitted the entire PC community. Even if it took 8 years, dragging, and kicking and screaming.

Windows could have been doing the same thing through DDC for decades but they didn't. Microsoft always has the ways- it's the will they lack lol. IDK if a different interface will change that

Back