Are there any current PC games that need more than 8 GB RAM?

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
I'm planning a new Skylake build with fast memory, and 16 GB DDR4 kits at high frequency are either out of stock or too expensive where I live. Are there any games that push above 8 GB total RAM usage that I should be worried about? I'm only interested in gaming and I'd rather go with the cheaper 8 GB option if there is not yet any reason to go with 16 GB.

Realistically? Probably not given they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. It can help with caching and prefetching but it's not exactly required.
I'd aim for a 2x4Gig kit, that way you'll still have room in the future to upgrade to 16 if you need it. (assuming a motherboard with 4 memory sockets here)

8GB is fine for almost everything.
On my previous 2500K I was running 8GB and put in my old spare 4GB to get 12GB which dropped the speed from 2200 to 1600MHz.
This was to try and make GTA V a bit smoother which it did a little bit.
But that game has been tweaked a lot since and it may not matter now.

I find browsing more memory demanding and 8 GB limiting than in games. Star Citizen, if it ever comes out, could change that, though :)

I would agree that 8GB is fine for gaming. Besides, if you get a 2x4GB kit, you can always order a second kit to upgrade to 16GB down the road.

seems like system RAM has been replaced by VRAM so it has less significance nowadays and probably in the future

Back