Are there any 3090 blocks with active backplates which can fit on 1-slot spacing?

I'm currently running Aquacomputer XCS backplates and love the extra cool VRAM. There is, however, one problem: I can't put two cards next to each other because the terminals are too wide.

Is there a block on the market which has active cooling on the backside VRAM and yet still fits on this 1-slot spacing?

Image from iOS (17).jpg

That would require one block to cool the front of one card and the back of another. Somewhat niche, although if the EKs/Heatkillers/AquaComputers of the world made FLAT metal-faced blocks instead of pretty patterns or RGB bling then you could just butt one card up against the backplate of the other and use thermal pads or TIM to conduct heat from the backplate of one card into the face of the upper card.

Why don't you just cut the PCI bracket? That's infinitely less hassle than swapping blocks, and it's an easily replaceable part if you want it back in factory condition later.

Why don't you just cut the PCI bracket? That's infinitely less hassle than swapping blocks, and it's an easily replaceable part if you want it back in factory condition later.
Won’t work in this case. Firstly, the terminals are too large to bring the cards closer together. Secondly, just off-screen the heat pipe fitting makes the card thicker on the back preventing bringing the two cards closer.

Oh that sucks; I misread the OP and thought that you could already couple them but couldn't get them to line up in the PCIe slots cus the brackets were causing them to bow out like that. I guess those blocks weren't made with multiGPU builds in mind, or they figured anyone who would run them like that would use larger spacing on a HEDT board.

I guess I should clarify. I was using "1-slot" spacing the way that Nvidia does (which I find counterintuitive myself). In this case, 1-slot spacing means one slot between the cards. So, they would be mounted in slots 1, 3, 5, and 7.

The limitation on clearance here is the terminal component rather than the blocks & backplates. The picture is how I'd like to mount the cards, but the gap between the blocks is too small to bridge with a regular M-M coupler. The gap is about 3mm and I'm not sure there's anything that would fit that. Phobya has an adapter, but it doesn't have a swivel so the threads on the two terminals would have to be synced to the adapter otherwise one side might not be able to tighten enough to make a seal.

I guess I should clarify. I was using "1-slot" spacing the way that Nvidia does (which I find counterintuitive myself). In this case, 1-slot spacing means one slot between the cards. So, they would be mounted in slots 1, 3, 5, and 7.

The limitation on clearance here is the terminal component rather than the blocks & backplates. The picture is how I'd like to mount the cards, but the gap between the blocks is too small to bridge with a regular M-M coupler. The gap is about 3mm and I'm not sure there's anything that would fit that. Phobya has an adapter, but it doesn't have a swivel so the threads on the two terminals would have to be synced to the adapter otherwise one side might not be able to tighten enough to make a seal.
It's been a while since I retired my last Aquacomputer jacket, but I seem to recall that they used to make a special terminal that you were supposed to use when cooling multiple cards. You'd remove the single card terminal, and install the multi card terminal in its place.

The ones they have now look different from what I remember, but like this:
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/gpu-water-blocks/gpu-sli-connector/

Edit: I think this is the part you need. Theyused to offer the heat pipe back plate for their 290X jacket, and there was a definitely a way to use it with multiple cards. If this isn't the exact one you need, it'll be something like it.
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...ack-plates-width-4-slots-for-2-graphics-cards

It's been a while since I retired my last Aquacomputer jacket, but I seem to recall that they used to make a special terminal that you were supposed to use when cooling multiple cards. You'd remove the single card terminal, and install the multi card terminal in its place.

The ones they have now look different from what I remember, but like this:
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/gpu-water-blocks/gpu-sli-connector/

Edit: I think this is the part you need. Theyused to offer the heat pipe back plate for their 290X jacket, and there was a definitely a way to use it with multiple cards. If this isn't the exact one you need, it'll be something like it.
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...ack-plates-width-4-slots-for-2-graphics-cards
Finally got around to buying a pair of those. Haven't mounted yet, but they seem to line up by eye. Thanks for pointing them out!

Back