Are there alternative Steam clients available? Or an option to disable cards at least?

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

I'm not into the whole achievement and card collection thing..
It's just a foil to hook kids into buying games and playing more.. and I don't give two shits about cards and achievements personally.
OCD in me justdoesn't want to see it and I don't like seeing that green envelope and thinking a friend messaged me or something to then end up foreveralone sad that it's just another stupid card.

Epic Game Launcher for example has Legendary
GOG has mingalaxy

Does Steam have any alternative clients?
Or better yet, would a regular cracked .exe work on a legitimately bought Steam game so I wouldn't have to launch Steam at all?

Foil cards can be crushed down into gems so you can buy blister packs so if your missing a few cards you can complete a set. People make money off of cards more than anything. You can sell off the cards but its hardly worth unless you have a phone.

Just ignore it. I don't see what the issue is.
I'm a minimalist and OCD. I mean, PCs are cool for the customization over consoles. There are clients like Legendary that I and others use because we're not fans of Epic Games Store client for example. Others might not have a problem with Epic Games and that's cool too.

If you don't mind something, great :) if you don't like something, that's ok too. Options are always nice to have so we can enjoy our PCs and software to the max according to whatever each user desires. There's no need to condemn others for having preferences not shared by you.

You can just disable all that stuff, you don't need to use a different client.

How?

Wtf are steam cards?
Those trading cards in your Steam inventory and mailbox. No idea what triggers them. I just get notifications in the green mail envelope "inbox" for them randomly. They act as collectibles so people get hooked on games. The whole "collect them all" mentality

I'd like to know how to disable Steam achievement pop ups in game. Those do hurt the experience and I haven't yet found a way to fix that within Steam.
I think you can only do that by turning off the whole overlay: Settings>in-game>enable the steam overlay in-game
Those trading cards in your Steam inventory and mailbox. No idea what triggers them.
You get 5 or 6? for each game that has them, You need to play for 10-20 mins each session to unlock one.

Yep, just uncheck the enable overlay thing, and you can disable friends notification stuff by clicking the gear on the friends list.

Yep, just uncheck the enable overlay thing, and you can disable friends notification stuff by clicking the gear on the friends list.

That is the problem though. I typically want the overlay, just not a pop up in game.

If you play in offline mode you won't receive any such notifications though if you don't care about notifications in general I think there's an option to disable them (not for card drops exclusively though).

Someone mentioned you can use GOG Galaxy but that wouldn't change this since it's merely a launcher and Steam/its overlay still runs. Also Galaxy's Steam integration isn't maintained by GOG but a third-party and it's very inconsistent (see: Galaxy's discussion forum).

I would say disable Steam overlay and use Small Mode. I use the web features through my browser, like buying games and reading the forums. Personally I use GOG Galaxy as my launcher, but you don't even need a launcher using Small Mode other than Steam or desktop shortcuts to the games., Steam is just an icon on the task menu.

It would be listed right here, but says small mode instead of Large/Big Picture:
1611339490000.png

I would say disable Steam overlay and use Small Mode. I use the web features through my browser, like buying games and reading the forums. Personally I use GOG Galaxy as my launcher, but you don't even need a launcher using Small Mode other than Steam or desktop shortcuts to the games., Steam is just an icon on the task menu.

It would be listed right here, but says small mode instead of Large/Big Picture:
View attachment 321564
I didn't know about small mode! Offline mode + small mode is perfect!

Yeah, this is how steam looked WAY back when. You'd add a key from a brick and mortar store, and that was it. Storefront came after. Ahh.. simpler times.

Yeah, this is how steam looked WAY back when. You'd add a key from a brick and mortar store, and that was it. Storefront came after. Ahh.. simpler times.
Right? That was exactly my thought too: "wait, this looks just like old school Steam!"

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Steam itself can be modified quite a bit and doesn't do "bad stuff" generally, but just to let you know that there are some other open source universal launchers out there that you may favor instead. https://lutris.net/ for instance is Linux only, but https://playnite.link/ is cross platform. Though if Steam's small mode works for you, you're set!

Back