Are the Samsung - 970 EVO Plus worth it ?

Depends on how old you mean by older?

Would I replace an 840 EVO with it? Probably. The 840 EVO line was an imperfect drive.

Would I replace an 840 Pro or anything newer than the 850 series? Probably not. Not for performance at least - the additional speed brought by NVME just isn't that noticeable in normal consumer workloads.

If I needed extra SSD capacity and I had a choice between a NVME drive and a SATA drive and they were the same price? I'd get the NVME. Unless I already had one and only have one slot for it, in which case I'd get SATA.

If the SATA drive was cheaper? I'd get the SATA.

From what I have been reading, the difference from the 970 EVO plus to the 970 EVO is minimal at best. I am in the same position and I am leaning on saving the $40 or so and getting the EVO over the EVO Plus.

I agree not that most of us will see the difference, I would just get the evo and run it

NVME 970 vs older regular Sata SSD will be much faster, but only in applications that can take advantage of it, the latency is similar with the NVME being minutely better (micro seconds of difference).
970 Evo vs Evo plus is negligible, that said I paid the extra money for the e-peen of the plus :p .

the latency is similar with the NVME being minutely better (micro seconds of difference)

It can actually be a lot better in relative terms, source here, however actual first-byte latency is something like 60us vs. 175us (read is on the order of 20us vs. 100us) which again not huge in absolute terms or "real world" consumer usage because you're bottlenecked elsewhere.

Back