are the rts like rise of nations gone?

Are you saying RTS games in general? Or RTS games like Rise of Nations?

There hasn't been any similar to Rise of Nations, SC2 isn't. If you are talking about rts games in general, these are some of the bigger titles released after RoN (or at least I think, from memory), many of them also have expansions -

Command and Conquer 3
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer 4
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
Dawn of War 2
Starcraft 2
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander 2
Total War: Empire
Total War: Napoleon
Total War: Shogun 2

Unfortunately limitedaccess is right. There are no games that resemble RoN, the closet thing might be Age of Empires, but still, it's just not the same. As for RTS games in general, that list is good.

Are you saying RTS games in general? Or RTS games like Rise of Nations?

There hasn't been any similar to Rise of Nations, SC2 isn't. If you are talking about rts games in general, these are some of the bigger titles released after RoN (or at least I think, from memory), many of them also have expansions -

Command and Conquer 3 Great game
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 horrible game
Command and Conquer 4 by far the worst RTS game ever created
Company of Heroes good game
Dawn of War this can't even be called an RTS
Dawn of War 2 same as above
Starcraft 2 meh, boring
Supreme Commander best rts game since rise of nation
Supreme Commander 2 total joke of a game created so 5 year olds could understand it
Total War: Empire
Total War: Napoleon
Total War: Shogun 2

yeah updated the above post.. total war games i won't bother with since they are great games and always will be but their still turn based games and not RTS games.

Steam has all 3 CoH games for a total of $10 right now. Or $2, $4, and $4 separately. Incredible steal if you ask me.

Steam has all 3 CoH games for a total of $10 right now. Or $2, $4, and $4 separately. Incredible steal if you ask me.

Best RTS worth buying right now IMO. SC2 is good if thats your thing.

If he means RTS games that are as well made as Rise of Nations are gone, he'd be absolutely right.

One of my all-time favorite genres here. Some of my favorite games have been RTS' - Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, Warcraft 3 all amazing games.

I really wish this genre would get more attention with current games. I have tried a few of the Total War series but have never been as satisfied, same with the Civilization series.

All I want to know is where is Homeworld 3?

It does seem like that with the exception of a very few heavy-weights like StarCraft II, the RTS genre has become a very niche market.
Which is some respects is nice, we're seeing more things like Gratuitous Space Battles and Archon that are willing to be adventurous and try some different ideas to get noticed;
But also seems to mean that good balanced, polished games with sustainable online communities are few and far between. So if you're not into a particular style or setting it can be a long wait to find satisfaction.

yeah updated the above post.. total war games i won't bother with since they are great games and always will be but their still turn based games and not RTS games.

Curious; why do you say the first Dawn of war can't be called an RTS? I always thought it was a pretty old school RTS. I've only played the demo and that's what it seemed to me:confused:

I'll agree that DoW 2 isn't really an RTS though, but it's still a good game that can scratch an itch for RTS fans (like myself). Especially since we don't have much in the way of "real" RTS games these days..

edit: I haven't played them all, but from what I've heard your assessment of all the other games there look pretty spot on, except that company of heroes isn't just good, its' amazing! And yeah; total war games are not RTS.

I think there's a new Heroes of might and Magic game coming out...number 5? I don't know if its real-time though... I think the combat might be real-time and the overworld-view world turn-based.

I think there's a new Heroes of might and Magic game coming out...number 5? I don't know if its real-time though... I think the combat might be real-time and the overworld-view world turn-based.

Wholly turnbased if it's like any of the other HoMM's

Back