Are the price drops from Nvidia enough to make you go Nvidia rather than AMD?

Is the gtx 780 and gtx 770 price drop enough to make you go Nvidia rather than AMD?

• Yes it is, I wil be purchasing a Nvidia solution over AMD now.

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • No I will wait for a 290x or purchase the 30 dollar cheaper 280x.

Votes: 77 28.2%
  • I am not interested in buying new cards this generation.

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters
Just saw the 290X xfire [H] review....looks like my choice is for AMD this round.

Oh, I know it's quite minor compared to other appliances (such as, say, a more efficient refrigerator)... however, it's there, and it might (actually can and will is more appropriate) build up over time. But yeah probably not to any huge extent, I guess.

Strange on the BSODs, I've been upgrading when possible on my 760's and not encountering one at all. I guess it must have something to do with their new experimental features, such as Shadowplay. My problem is those AMD drivers were absolutely nothing special. Just a standard nondescript upgrade. Sporadic, annoying BSODs! ._.

It will be like 2 dollars a year or some other insignificant amount, seriously.

It will be like 2 dollars a year or some other insignificant amount, seriously.

Maybe, but either way I'm quite happy at the price I got those 780's for, so I'm good with it. For 1440p gaming I think it will last me for a while.

I keep reading how these new cards from AMD (and Nvidia too I guess) only really matter for those gaming at 1440p or greater...so for people (like me) who are satisfied with 1920 x 1200 will upgrading from my GTX 580 really make enough of a difference in terms of price/performance?

I was looking at the latest Steam Hardware survey (October 2013) and only around 2% of people are using 1440p or higher displays with the vast majority 1200p and lower...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

I keep reading how these new cards from AMD (and Nvidia too I guess) only really matter for those gaming at 1440p or greater...so for people (like me) who are satisfied with 1920 x 1200 will upgrading from my GTX 580 really make enough of a difference in terms of price/performance?

I was looking at the latest Steam Hardware survey (October 2013) and only around 2% of people are using 1440p or higher displays with the vast majority 1200p and lower...

"Minimum" frame rates, 120Hz or 144Hz monitors...take your pick, nuff said.

That depends on what games you play, what settings you feel are acceptable, and what the rest of your system hardware config is. If you play more demanding games and like maxed out settings, then yes, upgrading from a 580 would be beneficial.

The 780 dropped another $15 via a rebate from the manufacturer.

Some are now $485, while the super top end Lightning is down to $525 after rebate.

Damn nvidia must be in full Fire Sale mode!

And AMD are selling out of 290x and many other SKUs also.

That's a lot of gpus being sold!

Yes. I was already looking at getting a 780 DCii the price drop just makes me want it more. I really don't like the crazy heat of the 290x and in a thread in the AMD section people were saying 80c even under water. No way do I want to put an 80c card in my loop.

I'm considering going custom WC, and I would be forced to do a dual loop with the new AMD, so I'll probably pick up a used 780.

To be honest I kinda have mixed feelings on this. I do want more FPS at 2560x1600 so the 290X is something I am considering 512bit, 4GB of VRAM and DX 11.2. But I need two of them, that's the problem. So I will wait for dual GPU version of the 290X. But the problem is, people say the exhaust and full load is close to burning your skin has me a tad uncomfortable.

I would like to see what Nvidia has to offer. But they still haven't got DX11.2 yet. Don't feel like spending $1000+ on videocard(s) that don't support DX11.2. But their temps are good.

I really don't like the crazy heat of the 290x and in a thread in the AMD section people were saying 80c even under water. No way do I want to put an 80c card in my loop.

80C even when water-cooled?...that's crazy

not my block

read the post, it's from reddit

but yeah the card is able to be kept quite cool on water (50°C on water after OCd is what 7970s get temp-wise), which leads me to believe the reference cooler is pitiful

I've been with Nvidia since the 32MB nVidia TNT 2 voodoo era, I've been through the epic 8800GT era, I've witnessed lots of corpses lying around me.

Nvidia, just plain out, does it the best. Reliable Drivers, CoreAVC GPU decoding,support, reliability, Physx, scaling, quality, etc...

Are they penny savages? Of Course, but which company doesn't like making money, tell me that?

I never encountered a problem, in which, google or the nvidia website could not handle, and if it was something semi-serious or so, it wasn't related to the Nvidia tech, it was due to something retarded like a fan that blew out or something.

NVIDIA = QUALITY
AMD = POOR MAN'S TREASURE.

Let the clashing continue guys. Enjoy your day. Good luck, have fun.

not my block

read the post, it's from reddit

but yeah the card is able to be kept quite cool on water (50°C on water after OCd is what 7970s get temp-wise), which leads me to believe the reference cooler is pitiful

Oops. Read it a while ago and thought I remembered it being yours. Anyway, yeah AMD clearly cut a lot of corners with the reference cooler. They wanted to hit a specific price point and had to cut corners to make it. It will be interesting to see what custom cards do, whenever they show up.

I wonder how much of a premium the 290x non-reference cards will fetch...it's pretty much required unless you plan on water-cooling...the reference cards are priced so low because of that...the real cards will cost much more...so maybe Nvidia's new GTX 780 $500 price point will not last long...better act fast!!

Waiting for 290 release to see how things shake out. tempted by the 770 4GB and 780. Am not considering 290x with the stock cooler; heat decreases the life of all electronics people seem to forget that...

Waiting for 290 release to see how things shake out. tempted by the 770 4GB and 780. Am not considering 290x with the stock cooler; heat decreases the life of all electronics people seem to forget that...
This is incorrect. Heat OUTSIDE SPECIFICATIONS will decrease the life. AMD specifies and certifies this card to run at 95C at stock. I'm not sure how some of you figure you're smarter than AMD's engineers, but you're not.

If the 290 is $400 I'm getting two. 6% slower than the 290x when both are OC for $100 less than a 780 is a good value. I'm expecting $450 though, 'cus they're worth that.

NVIDIA = QUALITY

Na too boring.

It's going to be $450, I think.

But, anyways, I'm wondering if NV can change prices of any product at this point without overlapping with a lower tier cards. 780, if priced even $50 lower to match 290, would overlap with 770 4gb version. The same situation for 770 (in relation to 760 4gb).

It's going to be $450, I think.

But, anyways, I'm wondering if NV can change prices of any product at this point without overlapping with a lower tier cards. 780, if priced even $50 lower to match 290, would overlap with 770 4gb version. The same situation for 770 (in relation to 760 4gb).

The better question is, could they do it without pissing off every etailer? I know I wouldn't be the only person calling Newegg and asking if they would refund the price difference if the price dropped again only a few weeks later. On top of that massive price cuts twice in shot succession is harmful for the brand. It gives a negative impression of performance and quality, not to mention a complete lack of confidence in their products.

I am hoping that AMD price the 290 at $400. It would sway a lot of people sitting on the fence to go AMd this round.

It might also put even more pressure on Nvidia to reduce prices further. I think A price of $449 or higher would just keep things the way they are.

I've been with Nvidia since the 32MB nVidia TNT 2 voodoo era, I've been through the epic 8800GT era, I've witnessed lots of corpses lying around me.

Nvidia, just plain out, does it the best. Reliable Drivers, CoreAVC GPU decoding,support, reliability, Physx, scaling, quality, etc...

Are they penny savages? Of Course, but which company doesn't like making money, tell me that?

I never encountered a problem, in which, google or the nvidia website could not handle, and if it was something semi-serious or so, it wasn't related to the Nvidia tech, it was due to something retarded like a fan that blew out or something.

NVIDIA = QUALITY

Did you remember the epic era where nvidia-based laptops all died or their drivers literally fried cards? Of course not, that's that fanboy selective memory.

Did you remember the epic era where nvidia-based laptops all died or their drivers literally fried cards? Of course not, that's that fanboy selective memory.

290 series total dominATIon.
its just outstanding value for a gamer and the vanilla 290 will be a gamers card.

290 series total dominATIon.
its just outstanding value for a gamer and the vanilla 290 will be a gamers card.

Man, if the 290 isn't this badass 780 killing card at $449 or less people are going to be crushed. There is so much hype for it now.

I would only get the 290x once 3rd party coolers come out. My old 7970s were hot and loud, and these 290x are hotter and louder. Unlike a lot of people, I don't put on headphones or have my computer in another room. The noise would bother me so even if both cards were $499, I'd rather get the 780 for less performance to have it quieter and cooler. Plus, I only run 1080p and both cards are neck and neck, since you can easily push +100-200mhz past stock on a 780.

I edit on Avid at home now, and while Nvidia crushes the adobe suite with the cuda cores, an AMD card smokes avid. So right now I play games like battlefield and want to upgrade, but its between the 770 with the great price cut and actually good free games (dont know if assasins creed will be good but its got the best trailer ever), or wait to see what the 290 is all about because I know it will run Avid smooth as hell, whereas nvidia cards constantly crash on it.

Just a perspective from a professional who doesn't like the limitations the quatro series give designers. And I run avid on older quatro I got second hand. It would be nice to run it all on one card. i've also yet to see the true power of the "CUDA" cores in action with programs like After effects and Premiere. I have been loyal to Nvidia for a while, so who knows..

i don't know about Nvidia famous quality, 2 gpus died on me and they were both NV, one died while playing SC2 and the last one just died with no apparent reason, no over-clock, good air ventilation, so this shit is just a myth.

i don't know about Nvidia famous quality, 2 gpus died on me and they were both NV, one died while playing SC2 and the last one just died with no apparent reason, no over-clock, good air ventilation, so this shit is just a myth.

How old were they?
Have you been using AMD/ATI cards?

I still have my Evga 8800GT SC with the single slot cooler that couldn't even keep an iPhone 4 cool.

i would say before deciding anything wait to see what mantle has to offer in 10 days.

Waiting for Mantle itself isn't the best idea, but waiting for custom cooled 290/290X cards is. We really have no idea how well AMD's partners will be able to unlock the performance of that fascinating GPU without making it sound like a wind turbine :).

Waiting for Mantle itself isn't the best idea, but waiting for custom cooled 290/290X cards is. We really have no idea how well AMD's partners will be able to unlock the performance of that fascinating GPU without making it sound like a wind turbine :).

The waiting part nope, but the advantages it offers once you got a new videocard is something nice.

I have such a windtrubine and the 6970 reference card is loud at 40+, lets hope they wil be able to ship those custom cooling before end of this month.

I've been looking at the 770 vs 7970GE/280x and the AMD solution is $30 less. According to anandtech.com bench, it seems the 7970 out performs Nivida 770 in almost everything. I wonder why Nvidia hasn't lowered the price more.

What am I missing?

I've been looking at the 770 vs 7970GE/280x and the AMD solution is $30 less. According to anandtech.com bench, it seems the 7970 out performs Nivida 770 in almost everything. I wonder why Nvidia hasn't lowered the price more.

What am I missing?

Because nVidia.

Back