Are the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b "too much" for Realtek ALC1150 audio?

I'm just wondering if anyone here thinks it's pointless to use high quality speakers to connect to motherboard audio. Since the Realtek ALC1150 is supposed to replace a sound card, I wonder if it's still good enough.

No, those speakers are not even very high quality anyway. You may start to hear the weaknesses of the Realtek chip with those speakers but most likely your speakers are still going to be the weakest link in the chain.

entry level amp + good speaker always sounds better than good amp + entry level speaker. The 3 model lacks the airmotiv tweeter which makes the larger models much better in high frequencies. Also the 3 inch driver is simply small. Physics come to play.

Yes.

The issue with onboard audio is the electronics noise in the non-isolated DAC stage.

You should move to an external DAC for almost any "high quality" audio output.

maybe: (good now we have all the bases covered??? ) :rolleyes:

blah blah blah ... those speakers aren't audiophile certainly but near field at a computer they probably will sound fine (depending on what your goals / audiophile aspirations are?)

if you already have the speakers try it... (with a decent 3.5mm cable ) if you don't hear buzzing (turn them up a bit with nothing else playing and see if they buzz or hum or whatever... if they do try them with nothing attached (disconnect 3.5mm cable) and see if they still do?)

blah blah ... basically if they don't hum or buzz and they sound good to you, then you are done.

if you aren't happy or they buzz with on-board sound then report back and start looking at discrete sound cards / dacs.

After doing more research, I saw some pretty good comments on the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC. Apparently, some people who did blind tests with cheaper DACs didn't find they improved the sound. The DC-1 is kind of expensive so does anyone have cheaper alternatives?

I also found positive comments for the Equator Audio D5 speakers. These are still a little expensive so does anyone have any cheaper alternatives to that as well?

I might only have money for the Equator Audio D5 and Emotiva Stealth DC-1 next year but does anyone know what kind of cables and wires you'd use for those? Would you use a line conditioner as well?

Vanatoo Transparent One Powered Speakers

Worth a look. Hardforum member AVT got these after he sold me his X-LS encores and loves his. If they are better than the X-LS that means they are very solid near field pc speakers. Plus, you can plug in usb, optical or analogue. They have a built in dac and amp. Easy.

After doing more research, I saw some pretty good comments on the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC. Apparently, some people who did blind tests with cheaper DACs didn't find they improved the sound. The DC-1 is kind of expensive so does anyone have cheaper alternatives?

I also found positive comments for the Equator Audio D5 speakers. These are still a little expensive so does anyone have any cheaper alternatives to that as well?

I might only have money for the Equator Audio D5 and Emotiva Stealth DC-1 next year but does anyone know what kind of cables and wires you'd use for those? Would you use a line conditioner as well?

The Emotiva Stealth is quite nice and is a good buy on Amazon right now. For speakers, I'd also look at the JBL LSR305's. If you bought both, I'd probably run XLR cables but it all depends on what you are hooking everything up to. With that DAC, you have a lot of options.

Buy the speakers and try them with the Realtek chip. If you're not happy, get a DAC for testing but so that you can return it. That way you don't spend money to something that wouldn't benefit you.

OP, I don't understand why you immediately consider a $500 DAC for $180 speakers.

What speakers/headphones have you been using? What's a realistic budget for now?

OP, I don't understand why you immediately consider a $500 DAC for $180 speakers.

What speakers/headphones have you been using? What's a realistic budget for now?

No, I said the DAC with Equator Audio D5 but now that I got the info on Vanatoo Transparent One having a built-in DAC, I find those more tempting. My budget would be flexible depending on what I find. If I have to save up and wait, I might do that.

I currently have a pair of Creative T12 which I find better than the T20 and better than a lot of speakers I've tried like the JBL Duet. I just have this feeling there might be "more" I could get out of audio. These are connected to my AsRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance motherboard with Realtek ALC1150 audio. I could tell a slight difference that made a difference with the ALC1150 vs ALC1200.

Also, do you need the Bluetooth? If not, why did you like the 3b?

Apparently you can use a regular 3.5mm connector for the Airmotiv 3b. But for now, I'm not sure what I'd choose yet.

EDIT: I see the Vanatoo are 60 watts per channel. Does anyone know of other speakers with a built-in DAC with only 30 watts per channel?

Last edited:
Geez why don't you just try the built in audio first, then start to worry about dacs.

If I sound confusing, I'd be interested in seeing which 30 watt per channel speakers are out there with a built-in DAC.

There are many, the power requirement doesn't make sense though. It shouldn't be a factor as long as the speaker has enough power to play at suitable sound levels (typically 20W or higher, smaller speaker = higher power required)

Examples:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/vanatoo-transparent-one-powered-speakers
http://www.audiostream.com/content/kef-x300a-digital-hi-fi-speaker-system
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

If I sound confusing, I'd be interested in seeing which 30 watt per channel speakers are out there with a built-in DAC.

Good article to read before you start letting wattage influence a buying decision:

http://www.sonicsense.com/resourcec...als/how-many-watts-do-my-speakers-really-need

I'd also second the notion of just starting with the speakers and trying them with the onboard. I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you are, you can proceed from there. Keep in mind that by limiting yourself to powered speakers that have a built in dac, you're really cutting down your options, and maybe aren't getting the best bang for the buck anymore.

There are many, the power requirement doesn't make sense though. It shouldn't be a factor as long as the speaker has enough power to play at suitable sound levels (typically 20W or higher, smaller speaker = higher power required)

Examples:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/vanatoo-transparent-one-powered-speakers
http://www.audiostream.com/content/kef-x300a-digital-hi-fi-speaker-system
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

The Kef is more expensive than what I'd want to spend even if I was rich. The Audioengine A2, I've read a number of comments online from people saying they have something better than the A2

As for the Vanatoo Transparent One, the price is around the same as the Equator Audio D5. I still have more reading to do but I've seen some pretty positive comments about the D5.

Good article to read before you start letting wattage influence a buying decision:

http://www.sonicsense.com/resourcec...als/how-many-watts-do-my-speakers-really-need

I'd also second the notion of just starting with the speakers and trying them with the onboard. I doubt you'll be disappointed. If you are, you can proceed from there. Keep in mind that by limiting yourself to powered speakers that have a built in dac, you're really cutting down your options, and maybe aren't getting the best bang for the buck anymore.

Regarding this topic, I find usually speakers are comfortable at a volume level of 5 or 6 out of 10. If I put powerful speakers at 6 I may annoy my neighbor. Besides, I already tested different models of the same brand mini stereo and found the higher up I go in power, the more bass there is and the more women start to sound like men.

I read a comment on EmotivaLounge that the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b sound great even without ribbon tweeters. So maybe that takes care of the comment in post #2 saying they won't sound great because of the lack of ribbon tweeters. And since in post #18 it says you don't need a DAC. As a matter of fact, I almost forgot my original question. If the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b are not too much for the Realtek ALC1150 audio and it's 30 watts x 2, it might be a solution. And I read that plastic enclosures can give a hollow sound. So the MDF of the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b are another plus. (EDIT: I also like the buttons on top instead of behind the speakers and the grills. Some speakers have not grills.) But, if I can get higher end, I find the Equator Audio D5 intriguing because of comments I read from Steve Guttenberg on CNET. But I'm still wondering if anyone has more insteresting names between $150 and $350 U.S.

Last edited:
The Kef is more expensive than what I'd want to spend even if I was rich. The Audioengine A2, I've read a number of comments online from people saying they have something better than the A2

As for the Vanatoo Transparent One, the price is around the same as the Equator Audio D5. I still have more reading to do but I've seen some pretty positive comments about the D5..

Sure but as John said your requirement of built in DAC really cuts down your options. You're not going to find a miracle combination of a good, cheap and feature rich most likely.

JBL LSR305
Thanks for the name but I've read some pretty strange comments on the JBL LSR305...
"...playing the same songs over and over trying to nail down what it is that bugs me about these speakers."
"Less than 4 minutes of being in the room with the speakers she said that it sounded too crazy like things were all over the place."
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Sure but as John said your requirement of built in DAC really cuts down your options. You're not going to find a miracle combination of a good, cheap and feature rich most likely.
I said in post #20: "And since in post #18 it says you don't need a DAC." so I meant to say one of my options now still might be the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b.

UCA202, problem solved. Seriously, why even restrict oneself to a built-in DAC? That is asinine.
"but the UCA202 has some buzz on it when used the JBL's"
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Uh you do realize Noaudiophle does like the LSR305's. The LSR305's are probably the best deal in audio I've ever heard. My LSR305 + LSR310S combo costs less than 1 of the speakers in my main reference system and I find myself listening to music more on the LSR305 + LSR310S than my MartinLogan ESL's. My ML's ARE better but the JBL's are just too much fun. You'd be a fool to dismiss them based on one a few odd comments on one person's opinion.

I'd like to thank the people who commented in this thread. I got a few ideas that made me think. I guess my original idea was like: "How can I get the ultimate audio for the cheapest price?". Then I read a comment from Steve Guttenberg on CNET that made me look at this in another way. He commented that the Equator Audio D5 are so clear they'll reveal bad recordings and that the Audioengine a2 would be more suitable (for compressed music etc.). So, since I read the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s sound better than the Audioengine a2, I'm assuming the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b might be at least as good as the Audioengine a2. The strong points to me for the 3b is the (1) small size, (2) the grills on the drivers, (3) the MDF enclosure (rather than plastic), (4) the fact it's 30 watts x 2 (just enough power, not too much), (5) the volume control on top instead of behind and (6) may not ruin a bad recording like the Equator Audio D5 (as awkwardly as that sounds, I'm still hoping they're clear enough). Anyone is welcomed to contribute ideas if you want... (For anyone wondering, I intend to connect directly to the motherboard without a DAC.) (I still have to decide when I'm going to spend the money though. lol)

Save your money and get some professional monitors. I don't see myself ever replacing my Neumanns.

Thanks for the name but I've read some pretty strange comments on the JBL LSR305...

He loves the JBL', He iterated that fact numerous times in the review you quoted. He even recommended this product to another reviewer (Zeo). Here's his opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOySstGCMRg

What no Noaudiophile experienced is a slight, barely noticeable issue that was easily resolved. Steve Gutterberg also loves them.

The JBL' will likely slaughter both the A2+ and Emotiva 3b in overall sound quality (built in DAC or not). It's also currently cheaper than A2+ (as far as I know) and only marginally more expensive than the 3b. Seems like a no-brainer IMHO.

Seems you're set on getting the Emotiva' though.

Last edited:
Emotiva specifically designed the 3b to grab some of those that would typically buy speakers for PC audio, not professional audio, but included some of the things typically found in more expensive speakers, like MDF cabinets and signal processing. Not sure whether the DSP in the 3b can be considered a true DAC. The 3b are meant to compete with Creative, Logitech, and Klipsch PC, not JBL, KRK, Adam, or Genelec.

As an owner of Emotiva Stealth 6 speakers and the DC-1 DAC, I can vouch for garbage-in, garbage-out. Absolutely outstanding sound, when fed the best quality files. like hi-fi digital audio or Dolby/DTS sound tracks. I also have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5 I use when I leave the house with my tablet-based system. Airmotiv are a little more forgiving as far as MP3 goes, and I have no problem getting good sound straight from the analog out to the speakers.

XLR vs. RCA doesn't matter if the cable length isn't long. I use XLR because I'm using the RCA out on the DC-1 to feed audio to the SVS SB-2000 sub.

The DC-1 is a full-featured DAC with excellent headphone amps and analog audio input. There are cheaper external DACs from AudioEngine, Schiit, Dayton, Parasound, Teac that might be better for a simple setup.

EDIT. I'd probably put the JBL LSR305 in the same company as my Airmotiv 5. Very little difference between the two sets of speakers, except for maybe the tweeter. I like the sound of the ribbon tweeter over the dome in the JBL, but that is just me liking a more flat, accurate sound. JBL LSR305 is a solid value in the 5" speaker category.

Last edited:
The JBL' are very flat. Especially in the highs. Taken from the aforementioned Noaudiophile review.

JBL_LSR_305_Random.jpg

Emotiva specifically designed the 3b to grab some of those that would typically buy speakers for PC audio, not professional audio...

Thanks for the additional information. I was willing to consider more expensive or larger speakers. If I wanted larger and spend a little more, among others I would consider the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s. Then I thought about the amount of space on my desk, the fact there are volume buttons on top of the 3b and I'm only going to hook them up to my computer anyway. I don't subscribe to any high-bandwidth audio. I would be using them for games, Youtube etc.

Those comments sounded like the speakers were out of phase. A faulty connection somewhere.

Possibly. The comments about the speakers sounding "crazy" didn't sound reassuring. lol

As a passing comment, does anyone know why some brands don't seem to be selling on Amazon anymore?

Not mention that's his wife who said that. After 4 minutes of listening from an inadequate position.

Boonie, is there any passive speaker, such as E-MU XM7, Chane A1rx-c or whatever, it is suitable for nearfield music and movie listening?

heflys20, the JBL LSR305 are $260 a pair compared to $180 for the 3b. That's about 45% more. If we're talking about $400 speakers then going up to $500 is 25% more.

Who cares, friend? lol. It's an $80 difference for a much better speaker: design and quality wise (one 305 puts out more power than the entire 3b set), plus with they have a better warranty (5 vs 1 for 3b). I have assume you already own/ have oredered the emotiva's, yes? If so, ignore the recommendations for the 305.

Last edited:
Boonie, is there any passive speaker, such as E-MU XM7, Chane A1rx-c or whatever, it is suitable for nearfield music and movie listening?

Of course there are, a huge variety. But personally if I needed a near field solution, active speaker would be my choice. Not the least because of the technical advantages it brings.

Back