Are the Behringer MS40's my best option?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Groats, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Groats

Groats n00b

I'm planning a mitx build soon and the one pci slot will be taken up with a gfx card. Seeing as I won't be able to add a sound card and I don't want the extra clutter of external DACs or receivers would the Behringer MS40 speakers be a good choice what with their built in DAC? Or would using the onboard sound with different speakers be better?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Uncle Jim

Uncle Jim Limp Gawd

They might be your worst option. Behringer manufacturer knock-offs. But knock-offs tend to lack in quality. I bought graphics EQ and a small mixer from them and both broke down after a few months. I would stay away from Behringer. If your onboard audio isnt good you can get a PCI-e sound card and a pair of bookshelf speakers or a pair of proper near field monitors from companies such as M-Audio or Mackie, I think both do budget lines.

3. Groats

Groats n00b

So despite having a built in DAC the Behringers would be worse than say the M-audio AV40's using onboard sound?

4. King of Heroes

King of Heroes [H]ard|Gawd

Yes. Just because the DAC is built-in to the speakers doesn't mean they're any good. In fact they're probably worse because they have to use cheap parts to keep the overall price down. At best they're no better than whatever onboard sound card you're using. At the same time, the quality of the speakers themselves completely pales in comparison to what the AV40s have to offer.