Are the AMD drivers really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the worst drivers of all are those between the chair and wheel of a Prius, outside my son's school around 3pm.

Any highway in Texas, left lane, 5mph under the speed limit.

This is why I don't drive a truck with a cow catcher on the front of it. I'd use it.

We do seem to get a lot of post from people pointing out AMD deficiency's who havent even owned or used said hardware. Sometimes we do but even then they dont bother to even state what the issue was or what troubleshooting steps were or were not taken. 80% of the posts in this thread are from people who have not even used said hardware in many years, much less the exact models with said issues. This is a fact!
IMG_20200216_132703664.jpg

I cant tell form your picture what model that is. Is that a non reference sapphire 5700

I mean, the card says MSI and theres no RTX badging on it. Its a RX 5700 Gaming X flashed to an XT Gaming X. Perfectly stable. I am going to stick to my varying levels of silicon and dynamic voltage being the reason the drivers are unstable. A firmware update or software update can force it. BIOS update can force the cards to run at higher voltages across a whole table of power states, if your card is unstable, then flash to the new BIOS instead of AMD releasing a new driver that just makes all the cards hot and loud.

The reason why I bought this card is because it matches my build perfect, red accents, mobo and all.

Last edited:
I mean, the card says MSI and theres no RTX badging on it. Its a RX 5700 Gaming X flashed to an XT Gaming X. Perfectly stable. I am going to stick to my varying levels of silicon and dynamic voltage being the reason the drivers are unstable. A firmware update or software update can force it. BIOS update can force the cards to run at higher voltages across a whole table of power states, if your card is unstable, then flash to the new BIOS instead of AMD releasing a new driver that just makes all the cards hot and loud.
I 100% agree....only time i had driver issues way back with my rx580 it was clearly a fireware/ driver causing incorrect voltages. I suspect manually ticking the correct voltages with afterburner might be a possible workaround IF one was experiencing issues.

I 100% agree....only time i had driver issues way back with my rx580 it was clearly a fireware/ driver causing incorrect voltages. I suspect manually ticking the correct voltages with afterburner might be a possible workaround IF one was experiencing issues.
I think a lot of this is idle clocks and voltage. I mean when I see 10mhz as a video clock, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Nope, I buy the hardware I choose to use and no, it is not worst than the competition and therefore, I am not biased. As I said, what is in a persons sig tells only part of the story but hey, you show your own personal biases anyways.

Edit: Unless, of course, you mean by making my own personal choices based upon what I want and not want everyone else says I should get or do, then yeah, I could be biased but only then. In the past, I have made decisions based upon what everyone else said I should do instead of what would make me happy and always regretted it.

You’re giving examples of a bias and calling it personal preference. Can you define the difference between the two as they relate to this example?

So, AMD is having driver issues (we assume, who knows at this point) and people point it out and suggest Nvidia, who isn't..

Is that your definition of a shill?

Take the blinders off and read what I wrote, not what you want to see.

So I can't say for home use as I've been an nVidia guy for a long time, but for professional use, ya there are some issues. I don't think it is as bad as fanboys make it out to be, but it is a problem and enough to sway what we buy for a lot of things. In particular there are three things we've seen:

1) The most common is issues with professional OpenGL apps. For example Ansys Electromagnetics. We've seen cases where it just wouldn't run locally, just failed to start with no error (useful, thanks Ansys) but would run fine over RDP. The systems had AMD cards. Replced with nVidia cards, it ran fine. Reason is over RDP it uses software rendering but if there is an OpenGL card, it'll try and use hardware acceleration.

2) Linux issues. On Linux workstations AMD cards just seem to be issues. I'm not on the Linux side of things so I don't know the details, but our Linux lead won't do AMD for Linux workstations anymore. People get nVidia and that's that.

3) More driver BSODs. In general BSODs are pretty rare these days, and GPU driver BSODs are very rare, however to the extent we do see them, they seem to be AMD far more often than Intel or nVidia. We don't keep numbers on it though, so I can't say it is statistically valid, just how it seems.

nVidia isn't perfect, but they seem to give us less issues overall. Particularly when it comes to OpenGL stuff.

The RX580 that I have in my x58 system is quite fussy with drivers (some would instant blue screen on boot even after DDU). A lot of it stemmed from it disliking some programs I have that my GTX 1080 has no issues with if I swap that in.

AMD has forever had issues with drivers, and that Navi has issues is no surprise to me.

Guys don't feed the troll, it's a well known troll, he just enter in every possible thread spreading misinformation, off topic random statements and just spamming his useless Youtube videos just to gain clicks and watch..

That's one Big Ego you have and it's a shame you have to breath the same air as me like your some chosen one by GOD to judge people .

I wonder if locking voltage would help, if possible. I was able to OC some cards higher when I locked voltage.

If you recognize (for yourself) that Nvidia has a better product, shouldn't they charge more for it?

Just a thought exercise, it applies to AMD and others as well :)

"NVIDIA makes superior hardware, software and overall ecosystem with better support, but I hate them because they charge more than the value brand does!"

No PR stunt, real issue for many:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1
". . .
Known Issues
  • Some DirectX®11 API games may experience an application crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
  • Enabling feature for Radeon ReLive such as Instant Replay, Instant Gif or In-Game Replay may cause the display or UI to flicker or stutter.
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
  • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
  • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

Now if I had this issue besides a brief episode of the black screen in December with bad drivers I would:
  • Underclock GPU, test
  • Underclock Ram, test
  • Overvolt GPU, test
  • Run fan constant at 80%-100%, test
Not sure what has been tried or if anyone here has this issue and tested out variations. Not sure if purely a driver issue, some just replaced the card and the problem cleared, indicating did not stem from the system.

]

that is a 2070 Super owner complaining

I had these square flickers on Titanfall 2 (same engine, same developer) but I had a R9 FURY I found was related to the memory or the cache option in AMD iirc, this is certainly Respawn's fault

"NVIDIA makes superior hardware, software and overall ecosystem with better support, but I hate them because they charge more than the value brand does!"

So they make still superior software that is considered more unstable than AMD?
https://www.eteknix.com/reports-finds-amd-drivers-stable-nvidia/
something doesnt seem to fit logically here...Also we could argue about superior hardware if we talked in certain period of time (i.e Pre-Turing,Post GM200,Pre GM200)

Last edited:
I had these square flickers on Titanfall 2 (same engine, same developer) but I had a R9 FURY I found was related to the memory or the cache option in AMD iirc, this is certainly Respawn's fault

something doesnt seem to fit logically here...Also we could argue about superior hardware if we talked in certain period of time (i.e Pre-Turing,Post GM200,Pre GM200)

The eteknix article is 2 years old btw...

Most of the current issues are related to Navi Cards. This was before Navi. Also this was an AMD commissioned study:

"In May 2018, AMD commissioned QA Consultants to independently evaluate the stability of several of the latest graphics drivers from both AMD and NVIDIA. "

Pretty silly. The test was commissioned by AMD and was a brief snapshot of 6 vs 6 GPUs within a 12 day period using one desktop driver and one workstation driver from each side. AMD certainly would have been observant of various driver behaviors within that limited time and felt confident that particular moment in time favored them vs their competition and therefore commissioned the test. A few weeks earlier or later with different driver sets and it may have been an entirely different story. A proper test would look at 100 vs 100 GPUs in different configurations and spread over a year using many different drivers. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Auer
like this
Pretty silly. The test was commissioned by AMD and was a brief snapshot of 6 vs 6 GPUs within a 12 day period using one desktop driver and one workstation driver from each side. AMD certainly would have been observant of various driver behaviors within that limited time and felt confident that particular moment in time favored them vs their competition and therefore commissioned the test. A few weeks earlier or later with different driver sets and it may have been an entirely different story. A proper test would look at 100 vs 100 GPUs in different configurations and spread over a year using many different drivers. :rolleyes:
I remember that report and during that period of time fighting the horrid, despicable beta mining drivers while the 1070's and 1080Ti's were problem free. Eventually AMD rolled the good points of the mining drivers into the gaming drivers and then they were great. As in most things, it depends on what you were doing. Now for a rather good period of time AMD drivers were great from my experience but that report made me laugh back then as well as now.

I've been running Vega 64 Reference (on custom water loop and replacing an RX480) for a few months now with 2 monitors (Initially an old 37" LG LCD TV on HDMI and a Dell P2418D on DP). I never had any issues with either card except the green screen on driver install bug that happens every once in a while (reboot after install fixes this). That is until I replaced the 37" LG TV with a 55" Samsung 4K HDR TV - and then I started getting black screens that would randomly pop in and out on the 4K TV.

It turned out that my HDMI cable was too long at 15 feet. I replaced it with a 6' HDMI 2.1 certified one and the issue ceased. No problems since, and when my taxes come in I am getting a Radeon VII and moving the Vega 64 down to the wife to replace her RX480.

Edit for clarification: The 4K TV is running @ 4K 60Hz and the 37" LG TV was running at 720p 60Hz - this is why the longer cable was fine on the LG but not the 4K Samsung.

Last edited:
I've had cable issues too -- I've been surprised, as have others on the forum, that the 'stock' cables provided haven't been up to par for the monitors they've shipped with.

I wonder if it's not an issue for more people, though I've only noticed it on higher-bandwidth displays such as 1440p165 and 4k60.

I'm just about to build a rig out of old parts for my mom. intel i5 4570, H81 mobo and 8GB DDR3. I'm still deciding on the GPU. I'm still deciding if I should buy a cheap and used AMD RX550 just for basic graphics processing, or just stick to onboard intel graphics. I do have an NVIDIA GT440 card right now.

This is not a shill campaign, although I would not put it past NV to put its resources towards making this more visible and possibly seem worse than it is.

Bottom line is that AMD has some serious problems that need to be addressed. That is a fact based on industry knowledge. I have spoken. ;)

This is not a shill campaign, although I would not put it past NV to put its resources towards making this more visible and possibly seem worse than it is.

Bottom line is that AMD has some serious problems that need to be addressed. That is a fact based on industry knowledge. I have spoken. ;)

Couldn't have said it better: as a guy who sells these at retail: I have encountered a LOT of issues with returns and angry customers.

I have both a 2080ti and a 5700xt....There are good things and bad things with drivers. I prefer AMD just because of the nice layout for their drivers while the Nvidia Control panel hearkens back to the days of WIndows 2000/XP.
I prefer nVidia because it's well laid out like the days of Windows 2000/XP, instead of a mess.

It's not just prefer though, I simply won't buy any more AMD cards. Over and over I did, getting stung, waiting a while then trying them again hoping they got their act together and to save a few dollars for equivalent performance when I found a good sale price, but no, I always ended up regretted it.

Their drivers have been inferior to nVidia's for the last 20 YEARS... around the time nVidia came up with the "Geforce" nomenclature they pulled ahead and stayed there.

Radeon as a brand needs to die. Ryzen is only 3 years old and it is already a brand that turns heads and changes minds. AMD needs to abandon Radeon, start fresh and creats something completely new.

I have been running Nvidia and AMD cards for a LONG time and have built a lot of computers for others using both brands. Right now I have 2 of each in computers in my house, 5700XT, 570, 1080 and 1070 and generally I always have at least one of each brand represented in my home computers. Through all my years and thousands of hours of gaming, I cannot recall more than a handful of minor issues with drivers from either brand. I will say that Nvidia does seem to have an edge on newly released games sometimes, but other than that, they have been equally satisfactory for me.

I'm using 5700 XT and have suffered from constant blue screens and other annoying bugs. But when I turned off "enhanced sync", completely remove the drivers with DDU and reinstall clean, everything fixed for me. I believe that counts as driver issues.

Radeon as a brand needs to die. Ryzen is only 3 years old and it is already a brand that turns heads and changes minds. AMD needs to abandon Radeon, start fresh and creats something completely new.
i disagree......i love the lighted Radeon on my card :) to me they got that part right

I don't think the name has anything to do with it. It's the crap drivers that are tarnishing it. A Radeon branded card that has stable drivers and performs on par or better than a comparable GeForce branded card will turn heads just as easily as Ryzen IMO

I kind of see, after reading all the details on reddit and other forums, were the problems sit. It's mostly because of Windows 10. When you use Windows 7 there are around 0 problems.
The problems come from the continuous updates on Windows 7 and some other stuff where the OS may collect all the features into one API. This is how Windows 10 works.
So anything that looks aggressive with working on the hardware will touch all the other software that will run on the same hardware. It means an anti-virus of some configuration tool will compete with the drivers. And windows 10 may change that after every heavy update, for instance giving the privilege to the anti-virus or the configuration tool above that of the graphics driver. This is whey completely uninstalling the drivers with the proper tools which erase anything about them and reinstalling the drivers, will make the drivers work again, until the next major Windows 10 patch.

This is whey completely uninstalling the drivers with the proper tools which erase anything about them and reinstalling the drivers, will make the drivers work again, until the next major Windows 10 patch.

That doesn't work. I've tried it :S

Something that works for one person doesn't always work for others. If the problem were that simple there wouldn't be an outcry of people dealing with the issue.

My 5700xt was unstable in games until the mid Jan update. Now it's stable in games but crashes several times a day on the desktop while using a variety of programs. It's a huge pain in the ass and I've been trouble shooting it since November 2nd. Just turned off ultra low power state in the windows registry and haven't had a crash yet today but it's only been an hour. . .which is pretty good comically.

That doesn't work. I've tried it :S

Something that works for one person doesn't always work for others. If the problem were that simple there wouldn't be an outcry of people dealing with the issue.

My 5700xt was unstable in games until the mid Jan update. Now it's stable in games but crashes several times a day on the desktop while using a variety of programs. It's a huge pain in the ass and I've been trouble shooting it since November 2nd. Just turned off ultra low power state in the windows registry and haven't had a crash yet today but it's only been an hour. . .which is pretty good comically.
you should have returned it to retailer first thing or rma it back to manufacturer first week it was doing it. It quite possible a hardware defect. Or is EVERYONE with your exact same card having same issues? Even then i would argue with them to swap it with a known working model. I have done RMAs with xfx that only took a week total and got a different newer model

I think a lot of this is idle clocks and voltage. I mean when I see 10mhz as a video clock, it doesn't inspire confidence.
thats what im thinking too. i also noticed that there is a huge gpu usage spike when it happens on my system.

Its been 5 days. Computer has been on non stop. No driver issues. This is mind boggling.
what did you do?

thats what im thinking too. i also noticed that there is a huge gpu usage spike when it happens on my system.

what did you do?
Are you sill having issues? When does yours happen and what have you tried to correct it?

Are you sill having issues? When does yours happen and what have you tried to correct it?
yup, black screen on youtube, any browser, hardware accel on or off. ddu and tried the last three driver versions, currently on 20.1.3. tried upping power limit and voltage in AB. still get several a day. if im watching a movie in mpc or on a stream, no prob. can game all day no prob. only happens with yt. i still think that its the speed/voltage the card runs at during low usage, they both seem abnormally low, like rvenger mentioned. wish i could find a way to lock them higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back