Are the AMD drivers really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, black screen on youtube, any browser, hardware accel on or off. ddu and tried the last three driver versions, currently on 20.1.3. tried upping power limit and voltage in AB. still get several a day. if im watching a movie in mpc or on a stream, no prob. can game all day no prob. only happens with yt. i still think that its the speed/voltage the card runs at during low usage, they both seem abnormally low, like rvenger mentioned. wish i could find a way to lock them higher.
when did it start it? anyway to identify the difference with a working older driver? Have you spoke with Mark with xfx about it? Tell him hes got to fix this shit? Unless he wants you cross flashing different cards firmware till you find a possible fix?

when did it start it? anyway to identify the difference with a working older driver? Have you spoke with Mark with xfx about it? Tell him hes got to fix this shit? Unless he wants you cross flashing different cards firmware till you find a possible fix?
started after i got it a couple weeks ago but pretty sure it was fine for a few days before i started playing with it(soft mod, new drivers). im going to try going back further, some people are saying the older driver version without relive integrated works better. no i havent contacted anyone, havent admitted defeat yet. also hadnt seen any of this about the 5700/xt issues prior to buying it...

edit: XFXSupport you know anything about this situation?
edt2: further not father

Last edited:
started after i got it a couple weeks ago but pretty sure it was fine for a few days before i started playing with it(soft mod, new drivers). im going to try going back father, some people are saying the older driver version without relive integrated works better. no i havent contacted anyone, havent admitted defeat yet. also hadnt seen any of this about the 5700/xt issues prior to buying it...

edit: XFXSupport you know anything about this situation?
you have to pm him as he doesnt come around unless he gets emails AFAIK

installed a xfx thicc ll pro 5600xt and it was a black screen fest from hell. thought i had a bad card or power supply. reinstalled windows thinking that DDU did not fully uninstall the old geforce drivers when my 970 took a dirt nap. that did no good. i was going to try pissing on a spark plug to see if that would help. got to thinking and i had read somewhere about msi afterbunner being a problem so i deleted the program and i have not had a problem since then. i have used amds overlay with no problem so far. hell i don't know

installed a xfx thicc ll pro 5600xt and it was a black screen fest from hell. thought i had a bad card or power supply. reinstalled windows thinking that DDU did not fully uninstall the old geforce drivers when my 970 took a dirt nap. that did no good. i was going to try pissing on a spark plug to see if that would help. got to thinking and i had read somewhere about msi afterbunner being a problem so i deleted the program and i have not had a problem since then. i have used amds overlay with no problem so far. hell i don't know
ill try that too...
edit: trying that now. removed just AB for now, rtss is still on.
edit2: still crashing without AB installed.

Last edited:
well that is for sure possible.....certain games i use form time to time will CTD on load up unless i completely close out afterburner and rtss. certainly easy enough to test out

well that is for sure possible.....certain games i use form time to time will CTD on load up unless i completely close out afterburner and rtss. certainly easy enough to test out
yeah ive had that a few times, not the game or amd's fault really.

yeah ive had that a few times, not the game or amd's fault really.
from what i know about the dev for afterburner......Hes more or less a genus guy the works his ass off in russia. But if a driver change adds a bug that makes his app cause issues, He figures thats not on him and AMD can kiss his ass and stop adding MORE unpaid work to his life. lol Hes got a real attitude but ya cant blame him, and i certainly dont. lol :)

thats what im thinking too. i also noticed that there is a huge gpu usage spike when it happens on my system.

what did you do?

Nothing!.. I flashed the MSI RX 5700 Gaming X to an XT and never stopped where as my previous cards that were returned to Amazon (two of them) black screened, one was a red devil, the other was reference. This one was even an Amazon Warehouse deals return, its been flawless. I swear it must be the silicon quality at this point.

To all the other cards with black screen issues, AMD needs to buy them or some back and study them and release a firmware that will take care of this. Most of the issues with black screens is the power states/voltages at 2d and 3d clocks, we all know they are very dynamic and they need to be adjusted for faster switching frequency and less vdroop or raised altogether. That's just how we overclock a CPU and gain stability, same concept, except we don't have the control like on a CPU, but AMD does for the GPU.

after playing around a little more if i enable vsr in amd panel and set resolution to 1440 the black screens reappear. changed hdmi cable things remain the same..go back to 1080 striaghtens right up. never had this problem with other cards from amd or nvidia. driver problem?

Nothing!.. I flashed the MSI RX 5700 Gaming X to an XT and never stopped where as my previous cards that were returned to Amazon (two of them) black screened, one was a red devil, the other was reference. This one was even an Amazon Warehouse deals return, its been flawless. I swear it must be the silicon quality at this point.

To all the other cards with black screen issues, AMD needs to buy them or some back and study them and release a firmware that will take care of this. Most of the issues with black screens is the power states/voltages at 2d and 3d clocks, we all know they are very dynamic and they need to be adjusted for faster switching frequency and less vdroop or raised altogether. That's just how we overclock a CPU and gain stability, same concept, except we don't have the control like on a CPU, but AMD does for the GPU.
Is the firmware you flashed on yours not compatible with pendragons? Do those cards have dual bios in case of bad flashes?

Is the firmware you flashed on yours not compatible with pendragons? Do those cards have dual bios in case of bad flashes?
i'm supposed to be able to flash my card to a XT thicc 2 bios and my card does have dual bios. i just havent gotten to that point yet. i just tried the soft mod again to try and increase low use state voltage and speeds and crashed bad enough that it wouldnt boot to normal mode. had to go to safe mode and ddu. think the soft mod messed things up. i am now running on 19.12.1 and ill see how that goes...

Never had issues with my Radeon VII until I had to do a reinstall of some stuff. Installed the same drivers I had been using and card was black screening every time I maximized a video (youtube, amazon, netflix). Every time I started or exited a modern game I had a chance of either a black screen but OS still functioning or a full on black screen with a hard crash. Tried old drivers, new drivers, professional drivers, DDU each time, didn't make a difference. I toned the card back 100MHz, dropped the max voltage and upped the minimum voltages and power limits. Card is 100% stable again, but I've essentially lost 100MHz. If I had to guess my R7 (and possibly some of the navi) are choking on not enough power on demand when a load is kicking in. Probably some attempt to make the cards efficient when not under load, but it might be too efficient when the card suddenly demands power. Either way something to test out.

As a side note I am currently testing stock speeds with with increased minimum voltages + increased powerlimit. If I don't have any issues then I'm chocking this up to bad power states, same as some others have said. My card will likely run a bit warmer than it was, but at least I have a full water block to keep it under control for now.

Edit: Had my first blackscreen since having moved back to stock clocks, even with the bump in voltage. Looks like I'll just have to live with the 100MHz downclock for now.

Last edited:
you should have returned it to retailer first thing or rma it back to manufacturer first week it was doing it. It quite possible a hardware defect. Or is EVERYONE with your exact same card having same issues? Even then i would argue with them to swap it with a known working model. I have done RMAs with xfx that only took a week total and got a different newer model
Clearly GPU stuff sold is unlike the CPU not 100% safe proof. It's also overclocked by the manufacturer. If you look at the professional grade cards they are used at lower speed and TDP.
So there could be plenty of problems : faulty or unstable GPU at high speed, bad RAM, some failure in one circuit ar some other part like the PSU not up to the task and even the PCIe 4 also could be a problem considering it doubles the speed which for instance Intel decided not to support as they though at first on Comet Lake platfom because of instabilities. Everything GPU on AMD gaming Navi is on the Edge.

Never had issues with my Radeon VII until I had to do a reinstall of some stuff. Installed the same drivers I had been using and card was black screening every time I maximized a video (youtube, amazon, netflix). Every time I started or exited a modern game I had a chance of either a black screen but OS still functioning or a full on black screen with a hard crash. Tried old drivers, new drivers, professional drivers, DDU each time, didn't make a difference. I toned the card back 100MHz, dropped the max voltage and upped the minimum voltages and power limits. Card is 100% stable again, but I've essentially lost 100MHz. If I had to guess my R7 (and possibly some of the navi) are choking on not enough power on demand when a load is kicking in. Probably some attempt to make the cards efficient when not under load, but it might be too efficient when the card suddenly demands power. Either way something to test out.

As a side note I am currently testing stock speeds with with increased minimum voltages + increased powerlimit. If I don't have any issues then I'm chocking this up to bad power states, same as some others have said. My card will likely run a bit warmer than it was, but at least I have a full water block to keep it under control for now.

Edit: Had my first blackscreen since having moved back to stock clocks, even with the bump in voltage. Looks like I'll just have to live with the 100MHz downclock for now.
Radeon VII needs to be revised by the user. You need to take off the blower and flatten with care the contact on the GPU with very fine sandpaper to obtain flat mirror surface, then put substantial Artic Silver MX2 all over it, and then reseat the blower with a bit more pressure. You can find these on Youtube.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with his RX 5700XT and found out that he was using a PCI-E Riser that didn't get along with PCI-E 4.0, so he switched to PCI-E 3.0 and problem is gone. No longer black screens or crashes. I also had a similar black screen after resuming from sleep or stability problems as soon as I touched anything on the Wattman after installing the new WHQL drivers with the new UI on december, even after updating with the Optional drivers as recent as January 29. So I uninstalled everything AMD drivers, booted into safe mode, ran DDU, rebooted and installed chipset and display drivers and I had been solid for the last three weeks or so. So something is funky with the drivers being a bit finicky with users overall.

Radeon VII needs to be revised by the user. You need to take off the blower and flatten with care the contact on the GPU with very fine sandpaper to obtain flat mirror surface, then put substantial Artic Silver MX2 all over it, and then reseat the blower with a bit more pressure. You can find these on Youtube.
Doesn't really apply to me in any way as I said I use a water block. The issues did not occur until had to reinstall drivers on a fresh windows. Literally one day everything fine and dandy on old windows install with fairly up to date drivers, next day reinstall windows using the same drivers, card is completely unstable without additional power and at least a 100MHz downclock.

I've only tested this for a day now so I'm not going to give this the seal of approval yet but:

I did not have any issues with my card until I had to reinstall windows. After the reinstall I installed 20.2.1 and had blackscreens almost every other time I'd start a modern game. Had issues even with maximizing youtube/netflix/amazon video windows.
Used DDU and went back to 19.12.2. Issues persisted.
Used DDU and went back to 19.7.5 as that is what a lot of people recommended. Still had the black screens.
Someone recommended trying out the Professional drivers, still black screens.
I found that if I upped voltage and downclocked the card about 100MHz, they went away entirely. Tried stock speed with higher voltages, black screens came back. Went back down 100MHz, perfectly stable again.

Today I went another route. As an early adopter of Radeon VII, I had previous gone through basically every version of Adrenaline since R7 release.

Used DDU to uninstall everything AMD again,
Installed the very first Radeon VII drivers (19.2.2). Tested for a few hours at stock settings, no black screens.
I've been now working my way up through the patches and I am now at 19.7.5. I have been performing all the actions before that were easily throwing me into a black screen. No issues so far.

I'll test over the weekend and into next week and report back if this continues to remain stable.

No bios switch, I just flashed and prayed. I used the 143 bios which is not public but on techpowerup unverified uploads.

I settled with driver 19.9.3 because multimonitor clocks/and power consumption is lower. Both the latest driver and 19.9.3 do not have black screen issues on my end.

Xfx 5600xt had problems from the beginning get one fixed here comes one more. Turned off enhanced sync no more flikering, black screens stopped period. Afterburner works again. Most happy.

Not a Navi owner, long term Nvidia user. As bad as things may seem in the tech media, I really dont see this is as affecting more than a minority of people. Newegg and Amazon user reviews roughly average about 4 out of 5 stars in customer satisfaction. So I think most users are generally satisfied with their Navi experience so far. But if 10-20% of them have these issues, its enough to create a big storm and lots of dissatisfied forum feedback, and of course a lot of tech media attention.

I've only tested this for a day now so I'm not going to give this the seal of approval yet but:

I did not have any issues with my card until I had to reinstall windows. After the reinstall I installed 20.2.1 and had blackscreens almost every other time I'd start a modern game. Had issues even with maximizing youtube/netflix/amazon video windows.
Used DDU and went back to 19.12.2. Issues persisted.
Used DDU and went back to 19.7.5 as that is what a lot of people recommended. Still had the black screens.
Someone recommended trying out the Professional drivers, still black screens.
I found that if I upped voltage and downclocked the card about 100MHz, they went away entirely. Tried stock speed with higher voltages, black screens came back. Went back down 100MHz, perfectly stable again.

Today I went another route. As an early adopter of Radeon VII, I had previous gone through basically every version of Adrenaline since R7 release.

Used DDU to uninstall everything AMD again,
Installed the very first Radeon VII drivers (19.2.2). Tested for a few hours at stock settings, no black screens.
I've been now working my way up through the patches and I am now at 19.7.5. I have been performing all the actions before that were easily throwing me into a black screen. No issues so far.

I'll test over the weekend and into next week and report back if this continues to remain stable.

what a fucking nightmare.

Open Regedit, find all EnableULPS and set it to 0. Reboot.
I saw that on reddit yesterday and checked it out. My registry was already configured like that before I rolled it back to the beginning drivers. Thanks for the pointer though.

I saw that on reddit yesterday and checked it out. My registry was already configured like that before I rolled it back to the beginning drivers. Thanks for the pointer though.
Are there different firmwares for your radeon7? Just wondering if certain bios are unaffected more than others? There all the same hardware anyways i would have thought

Are there different firmwares for your radeon7? Just wondering if certain bios are unaffected more than others? There all the same hardware anyways i would have thought
I'm using the bios that was issued after release that had the UEFI fix. Other than that I usually just updated drivers every so often. I have yet to have a black screen in 2 days so I'm thinking that installing the original drivers for the card and then upgrading through the versions has fixed my issues. Not really sure what was carried over from the old stuff that makes it work fine though.

I'm using the bios that was issued after release that had the UEFI fix. Other than that I usually just updated drivers every so often. I have yet to have a black screen in 2 days so I'm thinking that installing the original drivers for the card and then upgrading through the versions has fixed my issues. Not really sure what was carried over from the old stuff that makes it work fine though.
its my theory the driver bugs only happen with certain bios roms (cause honestly some many cards are unaffected) something to think about if theirs a next time

The eteknix article is 2 years old btw...
Hence means Vega has probably no issues. and this is a problem only with navi. because that is what 100% of the responses say except for those minor complains about the clock speed which doesnt seem to be a problem for many

Speaking of drivers, this has been the longest gap between releases since Navi came out. Hopefully they're taking time to fix things.

But probably just making the settings software and UI even worse.

rolled back to 19.12.1 and did this ^^ and havent had any crashing in a couple days. hope i didnt just jinx it...

Seems excessive the lengths AMD GPU users have to go to.

Hoping for a quick fix for all with issues.

Seems excessive the lengths AMD GPU users have to go to.

Hoping for a quick fix for all with issues.
yeah sometimes but it happened with all gpu makers. this card is the first that has given me issues in ~10 years. dealing with this kind of thing should be expected every now and then.

yeah sometimes but it happened with all gpu makers. this card is the first that has given me issues in ~10 years. dealing with this kind of thing should be expected every now and then.

It really should not be expected.

It really should not be expected.
shit happens and you have to roll with it. there is way too many different parts, configs and variability for everything to work perfect 100% of the time. you have to expect to have glitches every now and then and be able to deal with them without having an internet melt down.

shit happens and you have to roll with it. there is way too many different parts, configs and variability for everything to work perfect 100% of the time. you have to expect to have glitches every now and then and be able to deal with them without having an internet melt down.

The problem though is that you lose either a customer or a potential customer when there are issues like this. I bought a 5700Xt and returned it two days later because it did not even work, could not get the drivers to install for the life of me. Still not sure if it was really a bad card, probably since fans were at 100%, or if it was drivers. It was to replace a GTX 1060. Instead I returned it and got a 2060 then returned that because I really wanted something faster and got a 280 Super. My point really is that I wanted that card and wanted it to work but was left with a sour taste after two days of screwing with it trying to make it work. Out of the three NVidia cards all three went in and worked and drivers installed and not one issue was had with any of them. All 4 cards were MSI. So I may be an AMD CPU customer but I will not be trying another AMD video card as they lost me with a bad experience and bad information about them on the internet.

As far as 'shit happens' and they all are different parts, they should be based off the 'Reference Card' so different parts should not matter as long as they follow the design as far as Drivers are concerned.

As far as 'shit happens' and they all are different parts, they should be based off the 'Reference Card' so different parts should not matter as long as they follow the design as far as Drivers are concerned.
thats not how it is in the real world though.

thats not how it is in the real world though.

In the real world people search the internet looking to see how well a product works. They research it. If there are months of posts or articles about shit drivers then they decide to buy something else. I wanted to give AMD the benefit of the doubt and they failed me. Maybe not the drivers fault in my case but the damage was done. I moved on and spent more money on an NVidia card instead of the AMD card that I may have upgraded later for a better one when they released one. Now I will not do that. I will wait for the next NVidia card and buy that if I am in the market for a new one. I have money to spend and it will not be on another AMD graphics card. That is how the real world works.

Reactions: Auer
like this
In the real world people search the internet looking to see how well a product works. They research it. If there are months of posts or articles about shit drivers then they decide to buy something else. I wanted to give AMD the benefit of the doubt and they failed me. Maybe not the drivers fault in my case but the damage was done. I moved on and spent more money on an NVidia card instead of the AMD card that I may have upgraded later for a better one when they released one. Now I will not do that. I will wait for the next NVidia card and buy that if I am in the market for a new one. I have money to spend and it will not be on another AMD graphics card. That is how the real world works.
Buy what ever makes ya happy! the less you people buy the better price ill get on my next amd card (or at least it will be in stock) When big navi goes on sale well be lucky to find it in stock, as usual.

I would have traded out the card to another one and if that also worked like crap -> either buy another brand or did exactly what you did go to Nvidia. Would you done the same thing with a 2080Ti that after a week that space invaded you? Never buy a Nvidia product for how ever long? I agree, we buy the card, which supports the company that makes it, the workers at the store or online etc. and end up with something that does not work which makes it a waste of time for everyone. Frustrating and you might just been that unlucky chap who got a bad card. Frankly it is good to leave a big stink when this happens to keep companies on their toes but in the future evaluate what will best work with you by whom ever is my jest or recommendation.

like this
I would have traded out the card to another one and if that also worked like crap -> either buy another brand or did exactly what you did go to Nvidia. Would you done the same thing with a 2080Ti that after a week that space invaded you? Never buy a Nvidia product for how ever long? I agree, we buy the card, which supports the company that makes it, the workers at the store or online etc. and end up with something that does not work which makes it a waste of time for everyone. Frustrating and you might just been that unlucky chap who got a bad card. Frankly it is good to leave a big stink when this happens to keep companies on their toes but in the future evaluate what will best work with you by whom ever is my jest or recommendation.

In the end I ended up reading so much bad stuff about drivers and cards running hot and loud that I decided to go with what I knew. I really did not want to have to get another then put it in and then be disappointed again so I went with something else. Who knows maybe they will get the next one right. But I am most certainly not going to get a 5700XT when I have a 2080 Super.

like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back