are SIM's brand specific ?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I need a nano sim and most seem to be for iPhones. I thought they would work in any phone that accepts them. Am I wrong?

Thanks

You're not wrong. A SIM is a SIM and will work in any phone regardless of what size they are as long as the phone you're using takes a nano-SIM. Carriers on the other hand.. not so much.

Thanks. just got new phone and sticking with AT&T. Current phone uses a micro SIM, new phone uses a nano SIM. I discovered in my research that I can cut my SIM to fit. Just ordered a cutter from Amazon.

To save you the wait, just get a nano sim as a reference and trace it out on yours and cut it with a utility knife. I did that for our old iphones 3's when we got 4's.

When I did finally get a cutter I found it didn't work nearly as well.

Yeah, if you have a steady hand, you can cut it yourself. I've cut my SIM down from a normal SIM, to a micro SIM, then to a nano SIM as I've upgraded. I anticipated cutting it when I ordered my new phones, so ordered the SIM cutter to arrive at the same time so I didn't have to wait. Mine worked just fine for me and was only like $5 on Amazon.

I thought of that but didn't have a nano SIM to trace. I like to avoid having to deal with phone support. By the time the Indian gets on the line I'm totally pissed off by the voice prompt system. I give them hell and then feel bad about it.

I thought of that but didn't have a nano SIM to trace. I like to avoid having to deal with phone support. By the time the Indian gets on the line I'm totally pissed off by the voice prompt system. I give them hell and then feel bad about it.

you can print out a nano SIM cutting template

(i've done this... trimmed a full size SIM to micro, then micro to nano)

no issues

You can also just stop by any AT&T store and they will swap the SIM out for free.

For free? Even when buying new phones here (canada) I have never had any luck getting the Sim card price waived.. its only $10, sure, but they refuse to waive that every time. Its pretty nuts lol

For free? Even when buying new phones here (canada) I have never had any luck getting the Sim card price waived.. its only $10, sure, but they refuse to waive that every time. Its pretty nuts lol

at&T (and verizon) gives out SIMs for free, and charges $40 for upgrade on certain lines

t-mobile charges $15 for SIMs (some stores waive, some don't), and charges $0 for upgrade (but requires you to get a new sim, so = $15)

sprint stores don't know what those small computer chips are and give you the roundabout

ymmv

sprint stores don't know what those small computer chips are and give you the roundabout

Only the lousy ones, I got a new SIM at a Sprint store when I went to get the 5x activated. No charge for the SIM or the phone swap.

My mind is blown after reading this thread. I never would have thought this was possible.

What I find crazy is that verizon will let you reactivate a sim, where tmobile will force you to get a new sim and you can't reuse the old sim if it was ever deactivated. My experience with verizon (corporate stores) is that while the sims are free, they will not give you a sim that doesn't fit your phone and they won't give you a sim without an IMEI number for that phone. (Found this out while trying get a nano sim for a phone before I had it and they wouldn't give me a nano sim under my note 4's imei as it takes a micro sim)

Back