Are sata power splitters recommened?

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Im planning on increaseing a antec 1200 to 16 drives with Cooler Master 4 in 3 HDD Module Device - (STB-3T4-E3-GP), just wondering if its safe to use a sata power splitters, something like Silverstone Tek Four-in-One SATA Power Connectors with Power Stabilizing Capacitors (CP06) or maybe there are better options out there.

31ogzufM5pL.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There's no issue with doing that. 14awg wire (usually what's used IIRC) can handle >30amps, which 4 drives wouldn't ever draw, even at spinup. As long as you're not running a ridiculous amount of drives off one connector, it'll be fine.

It's not really the cable or wires that would be an issue here but rather the connector that feeds this assembly. Namely the current handling capability of the main connector. IIRC, the SATA specs for the power connector is 1.5A per pin.

If you have a spare 4 pin Molex power connector on your power supply, I would suggest you get a Molex to SATA power cable and use that instead. It also depends on what drives you intend on powering...

Thanks for the replies,

If you have a spare 4 pin Molex power connector on your power supply, I would suggest you get a Molex to SATA power cable and use that instead. It also depends on what drives you intend on powering...

Well the problem is 16 sata drives (maybe 17 if i go 2.5 os drive), the antec CP-850 has 2x cables with 3 sata power each, and one with 4 molex in, i think there is another (still searching for the box) that has another 4, but even with all those converted into singles, thats 14, i still need for the fans (6), so i was thinking on using one of each sata lines to this 4sata converters (to have 8 drives on each line) and use the molex line for the fans.

How does people with huge 24hdd servers connect their hdds?

Back